Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My LS400 has done 110k miles. The windscreen has the usual tiny wee chips that make driving into the sun a right pain. Now, I assume i can't get it replaced under insurance, so anyone know how much it will cost to get it replaced? Just rough prices to give me an idea before I phone around.

A LOT of money!

Go to a windscreen outlet and ask them to look at the chips If they cannot be repaired they will tell you to go through your insurance because it is an MOT failure.

You will just have to pay your excess.

Most insurance companies will not even ask how it happened they just pay out.

If the chip can't be repaired or it is unsafe to do so then the insurance will pay.

I wouldn't even think about trying to purchase one.

Remember also to get the correct colour tint when it is replaced.

Terry

Got mine done for £50 excess on my insurance...dont hesitate....just phone your insurance and they will get Autoglass or similar to ring you...it will be around 2 hours on your drive...makes all the difference...like a new car at night...go for it ! :blink:

I'm not sure if it can be done on the insurance. It passed the mot recently. When driving into the low sun it's like the screen has been sandblasted. It makes it difficult to see properly. I'm with the RAC so i'll try their replacement centre and see what they say.

I'm maybe not explaining the problem properly. It's a fairly high milage car. When driving into low sun, it's hard to see properly, since the thousands of micro chips make it appear as if the screen has been sandblasted. Out of the sun there is almost perfect vision. That is why i doubt that the insurance will cover the cost of replacement. So what i'm really after is the cost of replacement outwith the insurance.

If your having trouble seeing out the screen, low sun or not, then it must mean its dangerous its worth giving your insurance co a ring just to see wether they say "yes or no" otherwise the screen costs a small fortune....hundreds of pounds.

It may only cost you the price of a phone call to save that amount!!

I'm maybe not explaining the problem properly. It's a fairly high milage car. When driving into low sun, it's hard to see properly, since the thousands of micro chips make it appear as if the screen has been sandblasted. Out of the sun there is almost perfect vision. That is why i doubt that the insurance will cover the cost of replacement. So what i'm really after is the cost of replacement outwith the insurance.

Fred.....what folks are saying is.....just tell the Insurance Company that you have a damaged screen! NOT, well its just old.....after all, you've been paying out each year, so you can have this as dividend. And, technically it IS damaged if it affects your vision!

Making me think about MINE! But must see how others think about just how good replacements ARE. Hasn't this been raised before? Aren't there things to take note of (like tinting and heated screen....?)

Surely you are insured against have a damaged windscreen replaced, so - you cannot see out of it on occasions because of the (small) stonechip damage - ergo - its damaged - so the insurance will pay for it to be replaced.

My 2p

I understand what you mean, there not actual chips which have caused a crack or hole, there small pits in the surface of the screen as if someone had sprayed the screen with sand.

You might be able to smooth the surface out with a special kind of polish, I can't remeber what it's called but i read about it somewhere, where you apply it like a paste, let it dry then wash it off and it should 'fill' the small imperfections.

If you do get a new screen though, make sure you get the right coloured glass rather than just a standard tinted screen otherwise you'll notice an 'ambience' difference, might sound trivial but I like the slight colour that they give the interior.

About 4 yrs ago i had a cracked screen.1st place i phoned told me they wouldnt be bettered, price was £115+vat for brown tint.They then when on to tell me that if i was fully compit would only be £50 excess.When they turned up to change it was told if it was cash it would only be £25 :D. Hope this helps

Andy

i got a bloke give me a rough price the other day as mine has a couple of chips and like yours it looks like its been sandblasted and he said about 250 plus the rubbers but i am going to get a new one next year after it will crack in the winter :winky:

how much cash have we all bled on insurance over the years... chuck a rock at it and phone auto glass with only your policy no they will deal with the whole thing).

It works... got a stone ship on my smart car and they changed it the same day I called. :)

• 1 month later...
Make sure its a proper Lexus spec.; protection against UVA and UVB. Just look at what too much sun has done to me!

I've just thought does any car have photochromic glass fitted, the type you can get in glasses which darkens when it's bright and lightens at low light levels? That would be cool!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links