Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Urgent Advice

as my car is now 6 years old (W Reg 2000) the last month i decided to look at the cambelt with the help of a mechanic who works for ARRIVA.

He stated that the cambelt was fine and was in excellent condition and there was nothing to worry about.

The other week took my car into Lexus ????????? (Wont name the dealer for now) for the 60K service, they rang me and stated the cambelt was threading, and it needed to be changed today otherwise it could snap anytime!

The truth i did not have the money to splash out just like that so i told them they would have to leave it, they again rang me back and adviced me that i got it done again i told them i didnt have the money.

So this weekend i again had a look at the cambelt with the Mechanic from ARRIVA

this is what we found (Sorry for the picture quality hopefully you can see )

med_gallery_9537_140_113524.jpg

gallery_9537_140_67419.jpg

there was a bit of threading just on one bit of the cam belt,(see above pics on the right of the belt) the Mechanic stated to me that he does not think this was caused by the car but physically. He stated that it looks as it has been cut with a Knife or something.

He told me if it was caused naturally by the car it would happen all the way round but it doesnt only on a small bit.

So i am going to get my cam belt changed but want a second opinion of what have may caused this, if i took my car to another lexus dealer would they be able to tell me the cause of this.

Getting the cambelt changed the mechanic has offered to do the work, is chris S the best person to speak to regarding getting the parts??

Any advice on what i should do?

The mechanic has told me to speak to trade and standard.

Thanks

Andrew

Wow thats a pretty big accusation :o but i'm right behind you on this one although you will need to prove your findings and that may be very difficult it may be worth talking to the dealership first and listen carfully to their respone..............

Good luck

as my car is now 6 years old (W Reg 2000) the last month i decided to look at the cambelt with the help of a mechanic who works for ARRIVA.

He stated that the cambelt was fine and was in excellent condition and there was nothing to worry about.

The other week took my car into Lexus ????????? (Wont name the dealer for now) for the 60K service, they rang me and stated the cambelt was threading, and it needed to be changed today otherwise it could snap anytime!

The truth i did not have the money to splash out just like that so i told them they would have to leave it, they again rang me back and adviced me that i got it done again i told them i didnt have the money.

So this weekend i again had a look at the cambelt with the Mechanic from ARRIVA

this is what we found (Sorry for the picture quality hopefully you can see )

med_gallery_9537_140_113524.jpg

gallery_9537_140_67419.jpg

there was a bit of threading just on one bit of the cam belt,(see above pics on the right of the belt) the Mechanic stated to me that he does not think this was caused by the car but physically. He stated that it looks as it has been cut with a Knife or something.

He told me if it was caused naturally by the car it would happen all the way round but it doesnt only on a small bit.

So i am going to get my cam belt changed but want a second opinion of what have may caused this, if i took my car to another lexus dealer would they be able to tell me the cause of this.

Getting the cambelt changed the mechanic has offered to do the work, is chris S the best person to speak to regarding getting the parts??

Any advice on what i should do?

The mechanic has told me to speak to trade and standard.

Thanks

Andrew

If this was done intentionally then it is outrageous.

The problem you have as (G.wilso) says is the burden of proof!

You will never get an admission from the Dealership. If you believe that they are responsible then obviously you NEVER use them again.

Not a position I would like to be in. If I was positive that they had done this ,then I would be going balllistic,

but what can you do?

Trading standards can only ask the question which would ultimately be denied so end of story!

The only way I see, is that a trap is set for them.

i.e. A car is photographed and examined by an independant examiner and then sent in with a "problem"

and see what they come up with.

"Rogue Traders" type of sting!!

I think it highly unlikely that a Lexus Dealer or any decent garage would need to cause damage to a clients car to gain additional work.

If it is a decent business it should be earning sufficient money to pay for it's overheads and make a profit, without stooping to dishonest tactics. Additionally, the risk of discovery (ie losing the franchise) is far too high to consider trying to make a couple of hundred Pounds extra.

I guess there is a possibility of a rogue Technician and/or Service Receptionist looking to boost their bonus by dishonest means? I don't know how Lexus Dealers operate a bonus system (if any), so this was only a thought. Chris Shipley may be able to help.

I very much hope you mistaken and are just a victim of misfortune :)

the dealer may have a "rogue" techie, so it may be captured on their internal cctv, but it all depends whether they suspect their techie is "rogue", and so they may require a customer to complain like yourself.

what have you got to lose by approaching trading standards and then the dealer?

at least you will know that you tried to find the truth...

I respect your right, to complain about anything you choose, BUT please be certain before you make any accusations.

How long have you owned the car, could a previous owner have poorly maintained it?. Is or has the belt been rubbing against any thing along the drive train. Has wrong length screw or bolt installed previously then removed or a washer dropped during a previous service etc. accusations of this nature can be very dangerous.

Note of sensible caution

Infinity...

I respect your right, to complain about anything you choose, BUT please be certain before you make any accusations.

How long have you owned the car, could a previous owner have poorly maintained it?. Is or has the belt been rubbing against any thing along the drive train. Has wrong length screw or bolt installed previously then removed or a washer dropped during a previous service etc. accusations of this nature can be very dangerous.

Note of sensible caution

Infinity...

he said the threading was only on one part of the belt so in theory it should be on the full length of the belt if it was rubbing on something.

Andrew - did YOU see the belt the first time??

R U sure that the "Arriva" techie hasn't done this to earn trust and brownie points...?

(not to mention some cash)

Unless of course you were there with him when he took the cover off...

I've never trusted mechanics (sorry mechanics...the small percentage of rogueees gives you a bad name)

it was the g/f dad, i was there when he checked it as he helped me change the spark plugs

so i seen it myself

got this off exus liverpool

ANDREW,

NEW T/BELT AND TENSIONER

300 INC VAT

IF U CALL IN I WILL TRY AND SUBMIT A PRIOR

AUTHORITY IF PREMATURE WEAR

AND LEXUS MAY PAY FOR IT

YOURS SINCERLEY

NEIL PRESTON

SERVICE MANAGER

0151 934 7666

Note of sensible caution

Infinity...

he said the threading was only on one part of the belt so in theory it should be on the full length of the belt if it was rubbing on something.

Andrew - did YOU see the belt the first time??

yes

i have seen the belt twice before

1st time i bought it March 2005

and the other month check it both times it was fine also had it check at MOT in october

Hi, A real difficult one this as you have got to prove that the dealership did damage it. That is going to be quite difficult to do. My advice would be never to use them again for any work. It could well be a rogue mechanic.

I have worked with some 'mechanics', I use that loosely as i did question there abilities...anyway...I have seen some foul play in my career on the workshop floor from splitting wiper blades with a knife blade, seeing wheels fall off after work, petrol tanks falling out, yes falling out.....after the customer picked it up and filled it up, bolts left over after big jobs thrown in the bin, service parts not fitted and kept by the mechanic!!!, safety recalls not carried out and the parts for the mods thrown in the bin, damaging a car and turning the vehicle in such a position in the carpark that the customer would not see the damage when they returned to there car after having a service,........i have many horror stories....to many to list and trust me you would never take your car to ANY garage ever again!!!!! It was one of the reasons why i left the trade as I could not hold my head up with pride and say...yes...the motor trade is completely honest!!!!!!!!! If i had done anything dodgy i would not of been able to sleep!!!

I have worked with some real idiots. Only a few technicians were like myself and would treat the car as your own and with respect. That is why I now only let the people I know and trust touch my car since leaving the motor trade. Any way I know where all the 'dodgy' mechanics work in my area, it does limit the car I will next buy as they are spread across so many dealerships!!!........I think i will stick to my Lexus dealer I know and trust....and make my next car a....er....Lexus.

Sorry to scare anyone but you may as well know the truth about the motor trade.....but please remember that they are not all dodgy.....it is just trial and error to find a decent one.

Regards pumatron :winky:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links