Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Axle Stands Or Ramps?

maneesh

I am going to try and change my oxygen sensors myself on the weekend. The car will need to be raised so I can do it.

What's the easiest and safest way of doing this at home on the drive?

Combination of trolley jack and axle stands or just those diy ramps you can get?

Cheers.

depends, do you have help? if so then ramps are good for extra access plus they are more diffucult to knock over!

Problems with ramps start when you cant get the bumper up high enough to clear the ramp before the wheel.

Also with having an auto it will be interesting as there is a lot of control and feel needed when driving up them.

You would also need people to help you hold and guide you up the ramps.

Axle stands are good providing you buy quality ones and stand them in the right place and on solid ground, but you generaly dont get the hight that you get with ramps.

Guest inicol63
If you've got axle stands use them.

If you only have blocks of wood use them.

Its not a great weight, people worry far to much. Dont buy something for it, make do with what you have.

I would use both as you can never be too safe.

Some times you can use the kerb on one side and axle stands and ramps on the other, this way it covers you should you have a problem.

You should block the wheels as well to stop the car moving.

MAYBE I AM BEING TO SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :duh:

Its not a great weight, people worry far to much. Dont buy something for it, make do with what you have.

Some times you can use the kerb on one side and axle stands and ramps on the other, this way it covers you should you have a problem.

I agree, be safe, a neighbour of ours had a car roll back and dropped off axle stands, luckily he was getting out and only did in his sholder, he was just relying on the handbreak, it could have been alot worse.

I prefer ramps but a problem if your cars been lowered or bumpers low, even with a booster from wood before the ramps don't work for me anymore so its trusty garage prices :duh:

I agree, be safe, a neighbour of ours had a car roll back and dropped off axle stands, luckily he was getting out and only did in his sholder, he was just relying on the handbreak, it could have been alot worse.

I prefer ramps but a problem if your cars been lowered or bumpers low, even with a booster from wood before the ramps don't work for me anymore so its trusty garage prices :duh:

jack it up onto the ramps !

jack it up

push ramp under wheel

hint for when driving onto ramps :

tie a thin rope (12mm) (or even an old blanket) to the ramp, lay rope in front of ramp, then drive over it and onto the ramp, the ramps should then stay in place :)

i wouldnt attempt to go under a car unless it was properly secured, for the sake of a few cheap stands, its not worth risking it

I used railway sleepers and patio slabs stepped up to them.... perfect LOL

I have axle stands but it's hard to get a good site underneath to feel secure ...... Axle stands in my opinion should be a backup for a trolley jack.....

i got crushed up against a wall once cos i was just using the jack to hold the car up. it slowly fell off the jack and i was inbetween the car and the wall. (car was quite close to the wall on my drive). i was holding the car from crushing me while my sister got another jack and put it against the wall and jacked it back up onto the first jack. if i was under the car i wouldnt of stood a chance.

it had no front wheel on it so would of pretty much gone closer to the floor than the size of my head!!!! you do the math!!!

was lucky i wasnt by myself. but i must admit i do take the chance most of the time and get under the car while on the jack. but it is too easy to fall.

if uve got or can borrow the right stuff then use it!!!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links