Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Windows Vista

IRLRs200

have you looked at the differences on the microsoft website?

Personally im not going to bother at least for the moment...i cant see the point.

XP plus some extra security hasnt caused any problems so far.

We're getting some new machines for work soon so I'm hoping they come with Vista so I can have a play, if not I'll be installing Ultimate to see what all the fuss is about!

It's usually a good idea with most Microsoft OS releases to wait for Service Pack 1 to be released, in all fairness it's the same with all operating systems, although Vista is three years late so maybe it's had a good test so far :)

I've played with the Ultimate version and it is pretty stable - using it right now as I'm typing this up.

The UAC part tends to get a little annoying but the rest of the OS is damn stable.

Just a few things I've found -

AVG Free is NOT compatible with Vista (regardless of what they say) - it kept on making my PC restart as soon as it would show the desktop.

Media Center is pretty good if you've got your PC hooked up to the TV.

The parents are good with MS Word and Internet Explorer but anything media related they wouldn't know how to use. However, with Vista, they just stick a DVD into the drive and Media Center starts up automatically...then just turn on the receiver and put the TV onto the right channel and "voila" DVD's working. Same with any other kind of movie or CD.

Security wise I'd use Kaspersky and the standard MS Defender with the software Firewall provided as it hasn't failed me yet.

Also, IIRC they are scheduled to be releasing SP1 for Vista by the end of the year.

Just make sure you do research on the drivers for your hardware being up to scratch and you'll be fine.

1gb of ram is also essential :).

Hope that helps.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links