Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Road Travel Tax

THIS IS NOT A VIRUS OR A HOAX - I HAVE PERSONALLY CHECKED.

Road Tax

Sarah Kennedy was talking about this proposed car tax scheme on Radio 2.

Apparently there is only one month left to register your objection to the 'Pay As You Go' road tax.

The petition is on the 10 Downing St website but they didn't tell anybody about it. Therefore at the time of Sarah's comments only 250,000

people had signed it and 750,000 signatures are required for the government to at least take any notice.

Once you've given your details (you don't have to give your full address, just house number and postcode will do), they will send you an

email with a link in it. Once you click on that link, you'll have signed the petition.

The government's proposal to introduce road pricing will mean you having to purchase a tracking device for your car and paying a monthly bill

to use it. The tracking device will cost about £200 and in a recent study by the BBC, the lowest monthly bill was £28 for a rural florist and £194

for a delivery driver. A non working mother who used the car to take the kids to school paid £86 in one month.

On top of this massive increase in tax, you will be tracked. Somebody will know where you are at all times. They will also know how fast you

have been going, so even if you accidentally creep over a speed limit in time you can probably expect a Notice of Intended Prosecution with your monthly bill.

If you are concerned about this Orwellian plan and want to stop the constant bashing of the car driver, please sign the petition on No 10's new website (link below) and pass this on to as many people as possible. Sign up if you value your freedom and democratic rights -

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax

This was raised some time ago on these forums and hopefully people responded with the signing of the petition.

I think it is a good idea to raise it again though for both new members and those who may not have seen it previously.

Every little helps...

True - get the whole family to register their disgust (and the neighbours)

This was raised some time ago on these forums and hopefully people responded with the signing of the petition.

I think it is a good idea to raise it again though for both new members and those who may not have seen it previously.

Every little helps...

True - get the whole family to register their disgust (and the neighbours)

Ah...wouldn't let me sign as the site's too busy at the moment :D :D

As controversial as it is, it would work for me as i dont do many private miles so im for it im afraid.

Yes but are they going to remove the mileage tax we already pay...the tax on fuel. I don't think so :angry: So this is once again going to be tax on tax :tsktsk:

Just a thought though..whose going to be policing this? What's going to stop anyone driving without a sat box, or for that matter disabling it as the mood takes you :unsure:

As controversial as it is, it would work for me as i dont do many private miles so im for it im afraid.

sign of the times eh.......

i too do not cover many private miles, and it wouldn't affect me too much either, but apart from infringement of freedom etc. it is an un-necassary and greedy tax on us all, yet again. so as i am the type of person who is not just concerned for my self or what i like to call a "selfish b'stard" i have voted against it, and am totally against it...

Errrr.... Guys Firstly let me say I HAVE signed the petition.

Secondly, maybe I am being a bit of a optimist but...

This daft British Government thinks it's going to rely on the Galileo infrastructure to be able to impliment this scheme (the only other alternative would be to have sensors/transponders placed on EVERY road/junction similar to EZ Pass) and they won't pay out for that !

Galileo was supossed to be fully deployed by 2010, I believe this has now slipped to 2012! This wonderful satellite system is a joint venture between various EU Governments and the private sector (Theirs a recipie for delays if ever I saw one !!) Even assuming this system gets up there in it's entirity and I'm sure it will (eventally and probably 15 times over budget) it will then have to track EVERY SINGLE CAR in this country on every journey. We have circa 30 million cars in this country and assuming there are 50 percent of them on the road at any one time Galileo is going to have to track and log 15 million moving objects with the integrity of data to bill people.

Me thinks the governemnt have been sold a pipe dream by the techno boys !! The system may be on trial now, using a few cars and controlled installed units in these vehicles but that is in a 'controlled environment under ideal conditions. Currently the system will not be able to handle traking every vehicle on our roads simultaenously.

There is going to be legal problems such as damage to peoples vehicles when these GPS boxes are installed, incorrect billing (the sytem is already making mistakes on parrallel roads) - so you could end up being charged for a 'premium' route when in fact you were on a side road !!

Don't forget, if the implimentation date for the so called required technology is 2012 and this will slip further, this pathetic excuse for a government will not be in power then as they will have been voted out years before.

HOPEFULLY - whatever lieing government get in will scrap this looney idea before they realise that to try and impliment it will cost more than a small countries national dept - and then the technology will be flakey at the best of times.

This whole idea exists at the moment as a White Paper and there is already admissions in there that problems exist !!

I'm getting off my soapbox now and going down the garden to sit in my shed !!! :lol: :winky:

The Ed

Nice one Ed...

The only problem is that the government will not be scrapping either Road Tax or Fuel duty ((though they might change some of the rules around it) - not seen it officially so they won't). Governments only know how to take in cash, they have no idea of how to manage it!

This is all part of the "shining beacon strategy" that this government wants the UK to be campions of as far as Global Warming is concerned, so we'll pay through the nose and other countries in the Asia Pac and the the states will continue to do what they do...

I really cannot see how anyone will be better off. That's not what modern governments are about. It's just an extension of the Congestion zone charging that has been soooo successful in London, albeit with Satellites and transponders instead of camera's.

The number of cars on the streets not registered and insured will no doubt go up, as will our insurance premiums!

Wit regards to this in-car tracking unit, I'm sure (as with everything else) it will eventually get hacked and solutions (whatever they may be!) will be spread for people to use. If you understand what I'm trying to say?

Jamie

as far as Im concerned it would be every citizen's duty to hack this system and destroy it

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links