Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Almost Finished

Well Done on getting your car sorted - sounds like a monster! :yahoo:

Something I don't quite understand mate (might be me being thick) :question: You say the car:

she has always ran rich , lots of smoke comming from the exhaust when accelerating , and only 220 miles per tank of fuel , i could not belive my eyes when she only made 278.1 HP at the flywheel , gutted dont even come close :tsktsk: .......befor i picked her up she was sucking in air like it was going out of fashion and in doing so managed to IMPLODE the tte airbox

Has it always run like this since you got it back from TDI? I remember you being really happy with the performance when you first got it so did something brake or malfunction to make it loose power or has it always had 278.1 flywheel bhp?

An IS200 with 365bhp - approx 292bhp at the wheels (assuming 20% transmisson loss) it a major achievement and you should be really proud! :D Hopefully you have many happy miles from now on.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im a bit suspect about the imploding theory as the failure for the airbox, the airbox would have to flex by a large margin for it to shatter.

Even taking into account -ve PSI figures (vacuum) within the airbox there would have to be a substantial pressure differential and as the inlet to the box if fairly large i doubt this would happen.

Could it be the box has been damaged in some way in the past and it has just failed?

i maybe wrong but didnt tdi spout figures of approx 400bhp??

im a bit suspect about the imploding theory as the failure for the airbox, the airbox would have to flex by a large margin for it to shatter.

Even taking into account -ve PSI figures (vacuum) within the airbox there would have to be a substantial pressure differential and as the inlet to the box if fairly large i doubt this would happen.

Could it be the box has been damaged in some way in the past and it has just failed?

they did and it was actually "only" 280 bhp

TDi's blog (here) still says :

Our design brief was to get as close to 400hp with compromising the “Lexusness” of the car, which means that could not produce a car with too much intake or exhaust noise, and we had to retain the smoothness for which Lexus is renowned.

Sounds like they failed dismally !

Also :

There was some contention with some people in the UK Lexus Owners Club over our Clients requirement for discretion on the power figure. Of course we intend to honour our clients wishes on this matter but i don’t think he will mind if we reveal that it will produce close to the limitations of the supercharger when the restrictions that provide it’s “Lexusness” are removed.

TDi's blog (here) still says :
Our design brief was to get as close to 400hp with compromising the “Lexusness” of the car, which means that could not produce a car with too much intake or exhaust noise, and we had to retain the smoothness for which Lexus is renowned.

Sounds like they failed dismally !

Also :

There was some contention with some people in the UK Lexus Owners Club over our Clients requirement for discretion on the power figure. Of course we intend to honour our clients wishes on this matter but i don’t think he will mind if we reveal that it will produce close to the limitations of the supercharger when the restrictions that provide it’s “Lexusness” are removed.

There is no limit to the BS he says/posts, seen it to many times now. typical salesman.

Read recently that Tdi tried to maintain the Lexusness of the car ? What caused the tte box to implode ? They also said that the car would have to much induction noise , without the tte box , Is that the case ? Top Job to those who seem to finally get it sorted , I look forward to seeing it at a shop sometime .

Tdi failed miserabley in trying to keep the Lexusness of my car , the tte box imploded because it was so restictive , the induction kit has made the car a lot less noisy , and yes a TOP JOB by all at SPC Horsham . :D

Dave, how does it feel when you go through the changeover of supercharger speeds between (if I'm reading the graph correctly) 3400-4000 rpm ? Looks like the power dips then.

The speed gets faster as the more revs are increased . :D

Very impressive figures there mate, was once in Mat's car when it was pushing crazy figures out and it scared the crap outta me and yours must be the same!

Glad it's running the way you want, awesome stuff indeed!

Great news that you've got this sorted Dave :D

Its a shame you had to take it somewhere else to be sorted, but as with most is200 that come out of TDi this is now the norm :lol:

Now i know why Mark was not telling anyone about the power, think Mark needs to change the blog about your car on the TDi web site B)

All the best with it Dave, hope you take my a spin in your car one day :D

Now i know why mark and sam wanted me to keep quiet :tsktsk: , it was sam what done the terrible mapping , the first time they gave her back to me she was only doing 11 MPG and sam reckoned that was fine and the mapping good . :tsktsk:

Well Done on getting your car sorted - sounds like a monster! :yahoo:

Something I don't quite understand mate (might be me being thick) :question: You say the car:

she has always ran rich , lots of smoke comming from the exhaust when accelerating , and only 220 miles per tank of fuel , i could not belive my eyes when she only made 278.1 HP at the flywheel , gutted dont even come close :tsktsk: .......befor i picked her up she was sucking in air like it was going out of fashion and in doing so managed to IMPLODE the tte airbox

Has it always run like this since you got it back from TDI? I remember you being really happy with the performance when you first got it so did something brake or malfunction to make it loose power or has it always had 278.1 flywheel bhp?

An IS200 with 365bhp - approx 292bhp at the wheels (assuming 20% transmisson loss) it a major achievement and you should be really proud! :D Hopefully you have many happy miles from now on.

Yes it has always ran like this , and i was happy with the alleged performance but not happy about the noise or the fuel consumption .

Rob its not a THEORY , its FACT ok .

Now i know why mark and sam wanted me to keep quiet :tsktsk: , it was sam what done the terrible mapping , the first time they gave her back to me she was only doing 11 MPG and sam reckoned that was fine and the mapping good . :tsktsk:

So when they say in their blog :

... our Clients requirement for discretion on the power figure. Of course we intend to honour our clients wishes on this matter ...

- then that's not entirely accurate ?

If I were you Dave, I'd save a copy of that blog for use as possible evidence before they remove it !

Very impressive figures there mate, was once in Mat's car when it was pushing crazy figures out and it scared the crap outta me and yours must be the same!

Glad it's running the way you want, awesome stuff indeed!

Thanks Aido :D

What Rob is saying, and I agree, is that the vacuum in the airbox alone would not be enough for it to "implode". For that to happen the box must have been damaged previously.

Anyway great figures, it must be an awsome car. Wierd looking power curve when the speed change happens, how does the torque look?

Nice one Dave. Sounds very impressive mate. Do you still have the V-pro? Any starting issues or engine warning lights?

Hi Adie , yes i still have the v-pro , and i did have starting issues , and Tdi removed the warning lights in the dash !

What Rob is saying, and I agree, is that the vacuum in the airbox alone would not be enough for it to "implode". For that to happen the box must have been damaged previously.

Anyway great figures, it must be an awsome car. Wierd looking power curve when the speed change happens, how does the torque look?

Well MacRS200 and Rob the FACT is the tte air box imploded because it was too restrictive , and the box was in perfect condition FACT ok .

Great news that you've got this sorted Dave :D

Its a shame you had to take it somewhere else to be sorted, but as with most is200 that come out of TDi this is now the norm :lol:

Now i know why Mark was not telling anyone about the power, think Mark needs to change the blog about your car on the TDi web site B)

All the best with it Dave, hope you take my a spin in your car one day :D

You do know Sam used to be a insurance salesman dont you :question: he told us this on the rng trip :o

Nice one Dave. Sounds very impressive mate. Do you still have the V-pro? Any starting issues or engine warning lights?

Hi Adie , yes i still have the v-pro , and i did have starting issues , and Tdi removed the warning lights in the dash !

Did they tell you they had removed the ECU warning light ?

Thats outrageous

:ohmy:

Did your fuel gauge still work ?

Hi Steviewevie , my fuel gauge dose'nt work , its all over the place , have called the AA twice because she ran out of fuel . i keep 10 liters in a jerry can in the boot now .

Thats outrageous

Hi Dave , yes they did tell me they had removed the warning light , they said it didnt matter !

Thats outrageous

Hi Dave , yes they did tell me they had removed the warning light , they said it didnt matter !

Wow...........so something unrelated to the work they did could be taking place and you'd be none the wiser................not very professional..........

Raj sarin was told the ecu light etc coming on was the ECU self learning.............which again was nonsense

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links