Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Leaving Lexus

oldcro

Not that I will be missed, but I thought I would let you all know I am selling my Lexus IS250 SEL and so not renewing my Gold membership.

I have ordered a new Mercedes (boo hiss etc) C320CDi Elegance. I always fancied owning a Mercedes, long before Lexus existed and as I reach a watershed time in my life in a couple of months (I become and OAP) this is my last chance to own one.

I went for the 320CDi because it has a V6 3litre engine with automatic a 7 speed gearbox and will be more fun, faster and more economical, I hope than the Lexus.

My IS 250 SEL never had any problems with rattles etc. It has been perfectly reliable, but I find it lacks something. By that I mean I find I do not get the urge to just go for a drive for the pleasure of it. I just use it as a means of transport when it should be more than that. Judging by the number of members who are adding turbos and other modifications perhaps other feel the same way. As someone mentioned before, the car lacks soul.

The things I know I will miss are the keyless go, the adaptive cruise and most of all the reversing camera.

I just hope I have not made a big mistake in my choice, but this is my last chance to fulfill a long held dream.

I'll keep checking the public forum to make sure your all behaving yourselves, so go easy on the abuse.

oldcro. :crybaby::crybaby::lol::lol:

good luck with the merc........there nothing like what they used to be....(reliable)

id just type mercedes problems into the tinterweb...and have a good read, there used to be a very good website a few years ago called mercedeslemon.com

however mercedes benz lawyers had it closed down.....

"and most of all the reversing camera"?? Giving OAPs reputation a confirmation there!

Should have moved up to the LS430 really?

Having recently tried the is250, plus the Merc, I still find the LS has that certain 'something'.

good luck with new car - mercedes have dipped a little in recent years with quality/service, but from what i've read of the current cars, they're back on top form again (if still a touch behind good ol' Lex! :shifty: ). i'll be joining you soon on the 'dark side', a CLK cabrio has nearly got my name on it! :tomato:

"and most of all the reversing camera"?? Giving OAPs reputation a confirmation there!

Having recently tried the is250, plus the Merc, I still find the LS has that certain 'something'.

Thanks everybody for the good wishes, much appreciated. As for the LS, it would be too big for the local roads and even more expensive. Apart from wanting to own a Mercedes, there is a point to my choice.

Lexus had a very good reputation for quality and excellent dealers. But some dealers fall far short of what some owners expect when it comes to good service. Yes the majority of dealers are first class, but you pay the same price regardless of how good or bad the dealership is. Lexus UK seem happy as long as the dealers are selling cars, and do not seem so interested in the quality of after-service provided. Maybe the Toyota company were more interested in beating General Motors to be the worlds biggest producer of cars and let their standards slip. Just look at the faults reported in the forums for the IS, far more than all the other Lexus models put together.

So in my opinion Lexus were good but getting worse while Mercedes were bad but getting better. Mercedes have recognised they were going off the rails quality wise, and have done something about it. So the new C class should be a much better more reliable car than previous models built during their decline.

This is my personal opinion by the way, and when I say good or bad I mean in relative terms. I will still have the IS250 SEL untill early November, so after that time will tell if I was right. So if you see my Mercedes by the side of the road with the bonnet up feel free to blow the horn and laugh as you cruise past in your Lexus. :winky:

Thanks everybody for the good wishes, much appreciated. As for the LS, it would be too big for the local roads and even more expensive. Apart from wanting to own a Mercedes, there is a point to my choice.

Lexus had a very good reputation for quality and excellent dealers. But some dealers fall far short of what some owners expect when it comes to good service. Yes the majority of dealers are first class, but you pay the same price regardless of how good or bad the dealership is. Lexus UK seem happy as long as the dealers are selling cars, and do not seem so interested in the quality of after-service provided. Maybe the Toyota company were more interested in beating General Motors to be the worlds biggest producer of cars and let their standards slip. Just look at the faults reported in the forums for the IS, far more than all the other Lexus models put together.

So in my opinion Lexus were good but getting worse while Mercedes were bad but getting better. Mercedes have recognised they were going off the rails quality wise, and have done something about it. So the new C class should be a much better more reliable car than previous models built during their decline.

This is my personal opinion by the way, and when I say good or bad I mean in relative terms. I will still have the IS250 SEL untill early November, so after that time will tell if I was right. So if you see my Mercedes by the side of the road with the bonnet up feel free to blow the horn and laugh as you cruise past in your Lexus. :winky:

I think you have a good, and valid point there. Mercedes are improving vastly. Just need to sort out their customer service and they'll be fine :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links