Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all Diesel owners,

Mine went in to Lexus Chester with drastic fuel returns...32mpg on motorway and best was 39mpg over the month...

When it was returned the next day they said everything was fine with the car and no faults found...driving home got 46-49mpg and continue to do so!!!

From 410miles a tank to 550miles a tank...Also 6th feels better and now at 65mph change rather than 75-80mph.

Changed Injectors or flashed and re mapped ecu...who knows???! But definitely did something to it!

HAPPY

Would be really interested to know if you can get out of them exactly what they did to see such a dramtic improvement! Mine is on 9,000 miles, 3 months old, averaging 35mpg over each tank, took it back, told it had all mods etc, can't even think about 6th gear unless over 80mph.........

If you could find out, would be great so I can challenge them when it goes in for 1st service......

cheers

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The erratic idle is normal too...if you switch the AC off, it does sometimes drop back to 900. Diesels don't normally have a Choke of any description as far as I know.

switching off AC doesn't help, you have to switch off the fan.

Ok Car was returned and the Jury's verdict below

Mirror sorted even 50 Cent on full couldn't get a shake out of it, so well done on that one.

Handbrake adjusted and seems easier to apply, but why point out that my car was outwith the VIN number that needed a MOD, is that supposed to make me feel better..??? Oh I get it.... YOU did ME, a favour!!!

Cant add on the auto locking that the current model has even although mine is only 4 months old.

Yes Sir we are well aware of the iratic idling but until Lexus can come up with an answer we can't sort it, this was explained to you this morning..... even the service manager has the same problem....

And for the finally the EGR valve needs a new Gasket, would you like to book it in between Christmas & New Year, but you can't get a courtesy car!!!...

Oh and one last thing can we take £11.50 towards insurance for the courtesy car you had and did you replace the fuel you used????

Quality Customer Service.. I think not....

The erratic idle is normal too...if you switch the AC off, it does sometimes drop back to 900. Diesels don't normally have a Choke of any description as far as I know.

switching off AC doesn't help, you have to switch off the fan.

Matus Is spot on, tried it today, revs jumped up to 1200rpm whilst sitting at traffic lights(air con was off), switched off the fan and straight away revs fell back to 800rpm..

As mentioned before Lexus are aware of this but don't know how to solve the problem

Oh and one last thing can we take £11.50 towards insurance for the courtesy car you had and did you replace the fuel you used????

Don't take that £11.50 insurance malarky lying down - as soon as I pointed out that as an Audi customer I had never had to pay anything for a courtesy car - plus why should I when it was warranty work anyway, my dealership backed right down and agreed I would never have to pay for a courtesy car again, whatever the circumstances.

Hi all Diesel owners,

My Diesel is doing an average MPG of 31.6 Lexus as i'm sure you are aware claim their cars do 44.8 average MPG.

I am now in a dispute with Lexus and i am asking for my money back, It would really help my case if all you Diesel owners could post a reply to this topic telling me what your average MPG is, so i can tell them that its all Diesels that are doing it and not just mine cause they keep telling me that it will get better with age but they wont say what it will get better to.

Thanks

ps i will let you all know how it goes and who knows maybe you can get some sort of compensation from your dealers??

Hi There,

I bought mine second hand in May with just 7000 miles on the clock. I drive mainly A roads and get around 34-36mpg. I have now done 14000 miles.

Hope this helps.

Matus Is spot on, tried it today, revs jumped up to 1200rpm whilst sitting at traffic lights(air con was off), switched off the fan and straight away revs fell back to 800rpm..

As mentioned before Lexus are aware of this but don't know how to solve the problem

I don't think it is a problem, I think it is a feature. :whistling:

I don't know if I read it in the owners manual or somewhere on the internet, but lexus sais, that when the engine is cold and the climate system is on, diesel can not burn everything in the way it has to be burned (emissions) so the car revs up to 1200.

I find it strange. OK, I believe lexus, but why the hell the temperature of coolant has to be exactly 90 degrees celsius (my bet) ?

Why 30 degrees is not enough?

Mirror sorted even 50 Cent on full couldn't get a shake out of it, so well done on that one.

Handbrake adjusted and seems easier to apply, but why point out that my car was outwith the VIN number that needed a MOD, is that supposed to make me feel better..??? Oh I get it.... YOU did ME, a favour!!!

Cant add on the auto locking that the current model has even although mine is only 4 months old.

Yes Sir we are well aware of the iratic idling but until Lexus can come up with an answer we can't sort it, this was explained to you this morning..... even the service manager has the same problem....

And for the finally the EGR valve needs a new Gasket, would you like to book it in between Christmas & New Year, but you can't get a courtesy car!!!...

I see that you hav had your mirror sorted out so that it dont shake. Can you please tell me where you had that work done becuase my car has been into lexus 4 times to try and sort it out and it still has a mind of its own. They told me that my music had too much base. Also do you hav the upgraded sound system???

I drive in town all the time and have never got more than 30mpg in my IS220d sport. My car is 6 months old and has done 4500miles

I see that you hav had your mirror sorted out so that it dont shake. Can you please tell me where you had that work done becuase my car has been into lexus 4 times to try and sort it out and it still has a mind of its own. They told me that my music had too much base. Also do you hav the upgraded sound system???

I drive in town all the time and have never got more than 30mpg in my IS220d sport. My car is 6 months old and has done 4500miles

Pram take it back to them and don't be fobbed off, this is a well known fault and there has been a fix available for about the last 4-6 weeks.

Mirror was replaced by Lexus dealer in Edinburgh, they didn't stock the part but ordered it from the Lexus holding stock.

Car is SE with standard sound system 4months old with 3500miles on it.

Print this off, take it into your local dealer and if they have any issues ask them to call Lexus Edinburgh who can point them in the right direction.

I don't think it is a problem, I think it is a feature. :whistling:

I don't know if I read it in the owners manual or somewhere on the internet, but lexus sais, that when the engine is cold and the climate system is on, diesel can not burn everything in the way it has to be burned (emissions) so the car revs up to 1200.

I find it strange. OK, I believe lexus, but why the hell the temperature of coolant has to be exactly 90 degrees celsius (my bet) ?

Why 30 degrees is not enough?

I thick your right Matus, it was the Mole that posted on here.

What ever happened to the Mole? was he shot or outed?? :shutit:

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all Diesel owners,

My Diesel is doing an average MPG of 31.6 Lexus as i'm sure you are aware claim their cars do 44.8 average MPG.

I am now in a dispute with Lexus and i am asking for my money back, It would really help my case if all you Diesel owners could post a reply to this topic telling me what your average MPG is, so i can tell them that its all Diesels that are doing it and not just mine cause they keep telling me that it will get better with age but they wont say what it will get better to.

Thanks

ps i will let you all know how it goes and who knows maybe you can get some sort of compensation from your dealers??

Hi,

I am a new member and have joined in order to reply to your request for fuel economy info.

I have been unhappy with the fuel economy of my 220d sport since I bought it new in September '07.

The car has now clocked up almost 25,000 miles and average consumption during that time is worse than 30mpg.

At the time of responding the fuel light has just come on with the latest tank average reading 25.3 mpg!!!

Most of the miles are done on relatively short journeys on country lanes but even so the economy is worse than my Boxster S (3.2 petrol) that gets driven hard at the weekends!

The ECU has been re mapped, twice, and an engine modification carried out about 5,000 miles ago but with no obvious improvement.

Interestingly the new demo diesel loan car that I had use of for the 10 days that Lexus had mine for the mod also struggled to do much better than 30 mpg.

Surely this cannot be right?

I am currently in 'discussion' with the local Lexus dealership who sold the car to me in the hope that this problem can be resolved but frankly I am sceptical.

I think Lexus have a serious problem with their deisel engines.

My IS 220 d new in mid Nov 2007 has now done 6500 miles - average consumption is 38 mpg. When I bought the car consumption was important as I drive 170 miles per day commuting to work the sales guy at Lexus said that I should match my old Audi A6 at 49.5 mpg (no exajeration). The Lexus is not a patch on it and I'm fuming. I've tried all sorts of driving styles, yes even the slippers but don't get any improvement. The journey I do is 80% motorway and I cruise between 65 and 70.

I am seriously considering getting rid of it and going back to an Audi - much better drive as well. Why did I change from Audi?

Can somebody enlighten me on the subject of the mods and fifth injector replacement.

Does anybody know if Lexus read what is on this site and how do they score so well in the JD Power surveys.

Good luck to everyone.

My IS 220 d new in mid Nov 2007 has now done 6500 miles - average consumption is 38 mpg. When I bought the car consumption was important as I drive 170 miles per day commuting to work the sales guy at Lexus said that I should match my old Audi A6 at 49.5 mpg (no exajeration). The Lexus is not a patch on it and I'm fuming. I've tried all sorts of driving styles, yes even the slippers but don't get any improvement. The journey I do is 80% motorway and I cruise between 65 and 70.

I am seriously considering getting rid of it and going back to an Audi - much better drive as well. Why did I change from Audi?

Can somebody enlighten me on the subject of the mods and fifth injector replacement.

Does anybody know if Lexus read what is on this site and how do they score so well in the JD Power surveys.

Good luck to everyone.

If yours is a new IS220d then it will be running the latest and patches and hardware, I'm sure. Only your dealer can cpnfirm it.

Never believe a salesman - Lexus or not. They are their to fleece you and hit their targets :whistling: else you wouldn't have to haggle. It's as simple as that. I've learnt that you must insist on a 3 day test drive before parting with cash so that you know exactly what you are buying. mIf they say it'll perform X times better with Y miles on it, then insist on driving one with Y on it. That's my learning!

I'm sure LGB are more than aware of the posts on here :winky: as I'm sure many of the owners on this foum also work for Lexus, dealers etc

Good luck to everyone.

If yours is a new IS220d then it will be running the latest and patches and hardware, I'm sure. Only your dealer can cpnfirm it.

Never believe a salesman - Lexus or not. They are their to fleece you and hit their targets :whistling: else you wouldn't have to haggle. It's as simple as that. I've learnt that you must insist on a 3 day test drive before parting with cash so that you know exactly what you are buying. mIf they say it'll perform X times better with Y miles on it, then insist on driving one with Y on it. That's my learning!

I'm sure LGB are more than aware of the posts on here :winky: as I'm sure many of the owners on this foum also work for Lexus, dealers etc

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all Diesel owners,

Thanks

Hi,

I am a new member and have joined in order to reply to your request for fuel economy info.

I have been unhappy with the fuel economy of my 220d sport since I bought it new in September '07.

The car has now clocked up almost 25,000 miles and average consumption during that time is worse than 30mpg.

At the time of responding the fuel light has just come on with the latest tank average reading 25.3 mpg!!!

Most of the miles are done on relatively short journeys on country lanes but even so the economy is worse than my Boxster S (3.2 petrol) that gets driven hard at the weekends!

The ECU has been re mapped, twice, and an engine modification carried out about 5,000 miles ago but with no obvious improvement.

Interestingly the new demo diesel loan car that I had use of for the 10 days that Lexus had mine for the mod also struggled to do much better than 30 mpg.

I am currently in 'discussion' with the local Lexus dealership who sold the car to me in the hope that this problem can be resolved but frankly I am sceptical.

Update......

Lexus have taken my car away, they actually collected it nearly 2 weeks ago, and have left me with another 220d, SE I think.

I've not heard from them since.

The car had 49 miles on the clock when it was delivered and was showing an average consumption of 29.7.

Since then I have covered about 800 miles, mixed driving including a cross country A road round trip of 200 miles and some motorway miles.

I have managed to get the consumption up to 31.9 MPG.

During that time I have 'spot checked, an Audi 3.0 diesel A5 at 42.1 MPG and a BMW 320d, a newish one, at a sickening 47.9 MPG!!!

Come on Lexus, what is going on here?

Hi all Diesel owners,

Thanks

Hi,

Update......

Lexus have taken my car away, they actually collected it nearly 2 weeks ago, and have left me with another 220d, SE I think.

I've not heard from them since.

The car had 49 miles on the clock when it was delivered and was showing an average consumption of 29.7.

Since then I have covered about 800 miles, mixed driving including a cross country A road round trip of 200 miles and some motorway miles.

I have managed to get the consumption up to 31.9 MPG.

During that time I have 'spot checked, an Audi 3.0 diesel A5 at 42.1 MPG and a BMW 320d, a newish one, at a sickening 47.9 MPG!!!

Come on Lexus, what is going on here?

I honestly think this is standard mpg on a 'English' IS220, yesterday I had a new one with 74 miles on it. When I got it it was showing 27.2mpg, after 200 miles I'd got it up to 32.9. This is more or less what my own car is reading with 60k on the clock. Interestingly I had a IS250 SE auto on Friday for the day which returned 31.8. This with unleaded being 5p per litre cheaper (nearly 23p per gallon), you have to ask the question!!

Completely off topic (sort of..) the new 318i returns 49.9mpg (on paper) and is one group lower for road tax than my mrs Fiesta!!

I honestly think this is standard mpg on a 'English' IS220, yesterday I had a new one with 74 miles on it. When I got it it was showing 27.2mpg, after 200 miles I'd got it up to 32.9. This is more or less what my own car is reading with 60k on the clock. Interestingly I had a IS250 SE auto on Friday for the day which returned 31.8. This with unleaded being 5p per litre cheaper (nearly 23p per gallon), you have to ask the question!!

Completely off topic (sort of..) the new 318i returns 49.9mpg (on paper) and is one group lower for road tax than my mrs Fiesta!!

Harry - the new Beemers do deliver that sort of economy in real terms, that is what is making them so tempting! You can actually get 50+mpg (real, not Trip shown) on a mainly motorway run at or around the speed limit...that's why members of my BMW loving family always have a pop at me...and they are right!

I just say "water off ducks back...Quack"

Seriously tho' if you want economy, look elsewhere

Harry - the new Beemers do deliver that sort of economy in real terms, that is what is making them so tempting! You can actually get 50+mpg (real, not Trip shown) on a mainly motorway run at or around the speed limit...that's why members of my BMW loving family always have a pop at me...and they are right!

I've been doing the sums this morning and a 318i M Sport auto with leather is looking very tempting!

I've been doing the sums this morning and a 318i M Sport auto with leather is looking very tempting!

You are not going to believe it, but I've been doing the very same thing...how spooky is that?

They are offering a huge discount at the moment due to the impending A4, and I reckon a 318Sport Auto, with Media pack, leather and keyless could be had for less than £25k with some clever haggling...or you could get an IS250 Auto SE with MM and Met paint for £27k odd....Crikey - this is a lexus forum...

Ehum.....

PS - new A4 is launched on the 23rd, already had my invite and tst drive booked. I vowed never to buy a new model, so won't be buying...just looking. I can't afford to change yet anyway (not for 2 years at least)!

You are not going to believe it, but I've been doing the very same thing...how spooky is that?

They are offering a huge discount at the moment due to the impending A4, and I reckon a 318Sport Auto, with Media pack, leather and keyless could be had for less than £25k with some clever haggling...or you could get an IS250 Auto SE with MM and Met paint for £27k odd....Crikey - this is a lexus forum...

Ehum.....

PS - new A4 is launched on the 23rd, already had my invite and tst drive booked. I vowed never to buy a new model, so won't be buying...just looking. I can't afford to change yet anyway (not for 2 years at least)!

Ehum.....

Funny how all the others deisels have deisel economy, when its in for service I'm asking for the engine to be checked to see if it really is a deisel. A collegue with an S type Jag 2.7 deisel get 47 mpg and family A6 3.0 quattro estate gets 44. Me just a mug.

Funny how all the others deisels have deisel economy, when its in for service I'm asking for the engine to be checked to see if it really is a deisel. A collegue with an S type Jag 2.7 deisel get 47 mpg and family A6 3.0 quattro estate gets 44. Me just a mug.

I get very sceptical of other peoples' mpg claims for diesels now. A colleague at work has a S-Type Jag 2.7 auto and despite most of his run to work being dual carriageway he never averages more than 35mpg. We've also had a number of 3.0Tdi Audis and none have got above 39mpg. I've seen it in the pub with evangelistic diesel owners trying to outdo each other with fuel consumption claims.

I am sorry. You said that you drive 60% urban. What do you expect? Start/Stop driving drinks the juice, and to be getting 30+ on a new engine is not bad. It will improve over time, but if you think carefully - is there something else you do not like about your lexus? How much better would you do in the noisy tractor they call the 320d, wheere you are lucky to have power windows and a car that starts on a good day? If there is a problem with your specific car, well and good, all other 220d owners will follow with interest and hope it is fixed. 30mpg+ for mostly town driving is not a problem. I would love that on my 250!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links