Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Gran Tourismo 5

johnboy

Hando, my friends little brother tells me his buddy has bought a new PS3, I haven't seen it yet. He says it cost him £1000 as he has replaced some of the components and given it two super-duper graphics cards. Is this technically possible? If it is, is it worth it? Regarding the model without bluray, it's a rumour I've heard. I was enquiring about stock availability of the PS3 in Blockbuster the other day and they mentioned this new PS3 that's coming next year with no bluray or any fancy gizmos - a cheap PS3 from what I can gather. That's all I know. Totally hearsay.

I don't think it does any harm (except to your bank account and to any relationships you have) to have both consoles but I have to admit, from what I've seen of the PS3, I'd pick up my 360 controller first.

Keith :)

Hando, my friends little brother tells me his buddy has bought a new PS3, I haven't seen it yet. He says it cost him £1000 as he has replaced some of the components and given it two super-duper graphics cards. Is this technically possible? If it is, is it worth it?

I'm pretty sure this isn't possible (well it might be possible but very unlikely) - even if he had done it then it's not like he could turn on extra features etc (like in a PC game) as all the games are designed for the stock hardware - it might yield better frame rates but anything above 60fps is pretty much pointless. So it sounds like a spoof to me. I would be much easier to replace/upgrade hardware in a 360 but again: there'd be very little point.

I don't think it does any harm (except to your bank account and to any relationships you have) to have both consoles but I have to admit, from what I've seen of the PS3, I'd pick up my 360 controller first.

Agree with you there - I'll be getting PS3 for myself sometime in the new year when I reckon there are 3 "must-have" exclusive games on it - not yet though.

Hando, my friends little brother tells me his buddy has bought a new PS3, I haven't seen it yet. He says it cost him £1000 as he has replaced some of the components and given it two super-duper graphics cards. Is this technically possible? If it is, is it worth it?

I'm pretty sure this isn't possible (well it might be possible but very unlikely) - even if he had done it then it's not like he could turn on extra features etc (like in a PC game) as all the games are designed for the stock hardware - it might yield better frame rates but anything above 60fps is pretty much pointless. So it sounds like a spoof to me. I would be much easier to replace/upgrade hardware in a 360 but again: there'd be very little point.

Agree with you there - I'll be getting PS3 for myself sometime in the new year when I reckon there are 3 "must-have" exclusive games on it - not yet though.

I thought as much. I never know quite what to believe with him! What are the 3 must haves that are exclusive? I assume GT5 is one...

I thought as much. I never know quite what to believe with him! What are the 3 must haves that are exclusive? I assume GT5 is one...

That's my point - there aren't any really yet. Drake's Fortune is pretty cool in an updated-Tomb-Raider kinda way but not a system-seller, Heavenly Sword was a fun button-masher for a while, Ratchet and Clank is good but just more of the same, and Resistance is a competent shooter but a bit meh.

I'm sure there will be some awesome exclusives for it eventually just nothing yet.

Can i ask what the difference between 1080i and 1080p is ???? Im guessing 1080p is better but can u really tell ???

Yes you can definitely tell - if you're veiwing hi-def material - especially stuff with lots of motion.

The "i" is for "interlaced" so it's only "drawing" half the screen with each scan - leading to flickery picture and some other bad effects. If you only have the choice between 720p or 1080i you're better going for 720p ("p" is for "progressive" = "draws" the whole screen with each scan)

Can i ask what the difference between 1080i and 1080p is ???? Im guessing 1080p is better but can u really tell ???

Yes you can definitely tell - if you're veiwing hi-def material - especially stuff with lots of motion.

The "i" is for "interlaced" so it's only "drawing" half the screen with each scan - leading to flickery picture and some other bad effects. If you only have the choice between 720p or 1080i you're better going for 720p ("p" is for "progressive" = "draws" the whole screen with each scan)

Ahhh thats great info cheers. So can u only get the "p" from HDMI connected tv's not this component leads the 3 colours green blue and something ???

Ahhh thats great info cheers. So can u only get the "p" from HDMI connected tv's not this component leads the 3 colours green blue and something ???

Depends on your telly - and what's outputting it. E.G. Xbox 360 can output 1080p via component - but there's only about two games that support it and only a few tellys that support 1080p via component (e.g. the new Sony Bravias xxx3000's)

Depends on your telly - and what's outputting it. E.G. Xbox 360 can output 1080p via component - but there's only about two games that support it and only a few tellys that support 1080p via component (e.g. the new Sony Bravias xxx3000's)

So when it comes down to it HDMI is better than component ??? Or does HDMI have draw backs (sorry for taking of topic)

So when it comes down to it HDMI is better than component ??? Or does HDMI have draw backs (sorry for taking of topic)

HDMI is better because it's a digital interface: digital signal -> digital HDMI -> digital telly.

Component is analogue: digital signal -> converted to analogue -> analogue cable -> converted back to digital -> digital telly.

But there's not an enormous amount of difference in real world useage. See here.

HTH

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links