Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I haven't posted for ages (no longer an IS250 newbie!) but have just changed my old IS250 over to a new one so thought I would comment.

My PCP contract is up in January so I have been searching for a replacement since October. Looked at all of the usual suspects and found them all lacking in at least one respect against the Lexus.

BMW 320d - Great to drive, but not much else. However, if that is your main criteria you will not find better. For me though, you will get used to any car and its driving style. Once the novelty wears off, then you have to live with the rest of the car. I could not live with the rest of the BMW.

Merc C class - Where to start?! Expensive, stupid vinyl (sorry - immitation leather) seats, expenisive, bland looks (to my eyes), really expensive. Its only advantage - its a Merc!

Audi A4 - Very close - In fact if the new one was available, it may even have won, but overall, the Lexus is better than the current version.

Ford Mondeo (yes really) - A really good car. Great to drive, well built, good equipment, OK looks, less common than a BMW 320. Only disadvantage - Its a Ford! (I know - this makes me a real snob, but I would imagine that this is a real problem for Ford who have basically designed a fantastic car)

Also looked at Honda Accord and the Mazda 6. Both were good, but Lexus was better.

So, for the first time ever, I have the same car back to back. Brand new shiny Black/Tan IS250 SE Auto MM with Lexuscare iPod Doc was delivered yesterday to replace similar Silver/Black version with Vaistech iPod dock.

My first impressions are that the new one is tighter in build quality. Some minor changes (posted elsewhere I think) - Auto locking doors, soft rear seat pockets, 4 DVDs for the Nav system covering all of Europe in detail, slightly different texture for the steering wheel leather (yes....I am officially a saddo!). MLS also sounds sharper to me.

I bought it through Broadspeed because my local Lexus dealer really could not be bothered to try and sell me anything. Never rung me back on numerous occasions, etc etc. Lexus dealers (or at least my one) would not last 5 minutes selling software! Very happy with Broadspeed and would definitely use them again. So, very happy with my new car, and, I am sure, will be for the entire 3 year contract, by which time there should be a brand new version I hope.

BTW, even though Lexus never win road tests (BMW is king), they always score very highly in long term tests. It would appear that you DRIVE a BMW, but you OWN a Lexus.

Bob

which ipod dock system is better? in your last car did you have the video capable dock?

I had the first SLi version. Since then, Vaistech have released the SLi2 and of course the video version. I can't comment of the latter 2, but the Lexus dock is better than the Sli. It works faster, seems better integrated and the sound is better. No video though. Both work on playlists and both emulate a CD changer so no artists, albums, etc. Track names and playlist names are displaid on both. The Viastech allows you to go back to iPod control, the Lexus version does not (that I can see).Not bothered as I did not use this feature. I hope that helps.

Bob

[quote name='is250newbie' date='Dec 22 2007,Vaistech iPod dock.

My first impressions are that the new one is tighter in build quality. Some minor changes (posted elsewhere I think) - Auto locking doors, soft rear seat pockets, 4 DVDs for the Nav system covering all of Europe in detail, slightly different texture for the steering wheel leather (yes....I am officially a saddo!). MLS also sounds sharper to me.

Bob

[/quotHow does the auto locking feature work? My car was delivered new in sept and doesnt appear to have this feature, or maybe it does? No mention of it in manuel as far as I can see.

Bob

[/quotHow does the auto locking feature work? My car was delivered new in sept and doesnt appear to have this feature, or maybe it does? No mention of it in manuel as far as I can see.

I presume it's the same as I've seen in the BMW, where the doors automatically lock a few seconds after the carmoves off.

Bob

yours is likely to be the previous build. the newer build with autolock I think was from oct/nov in terms of shipment to the UK

Bob

DeLexus, forget it, I got mine in August, Car was sent to Lexus Edinburgh for the mirror change and asked them to activate the auto locking. At first when booking the car in they thought it could be done, but when I collected the car was told it could not be done.

I thought it would just be a software upgrade similar to the seatbelt warning, this kicks in when you hit 15mph and thought they could programme it to lock the doors as the car can already recognise when you reach this speed.

It is probably a simple rescript of the software but for whatever reason Lexus don't want to do it..

I am not mechanic nor electronics guy but I think that IS is one of the last cars without the Canbus technology. I think this because:

1. the electronics in this car is overall extremely reliabale (btw Canbus was found out to improve the reliability, just things don't go as the have to go)

2. for simple automatic always lights on (in Slovakia from 15.Oct till 15.March it is complusory to have lights on when driving) they have to install a HW box - In cars with canbus you do these things with simple SW changes.

I think that to have automatic door locking, you have to install another HW box, but we have to take into account for example this: this feature locks the car under certain conditions - speed would be one of them. How can get the box the information about speed? From the speedo, or from the ECU. If our - previous - version of IS doesn't have a ECU port/output to connect this HW box with necessary information flow, than the HW box can not be installed.

And this is why I think that we will never get the auto door locking :(

Bob

hi..thought the previous model's sat nav covered europe too?

old one covered a lot of Europe but on 1 disc.the new software is split over 4 discs.The coverage in europe is more extensive but the coverage where I am is NO better in fact I think Ive lost the lowest resolution but will have to put old disc back in to be absolutely sure!!!.

Although the 4 discs have overlap I think its CRAP for people in Europe because you would have to change discs from one area to another which is NOT the easiest on this car.

basically I think the whole thing has not been thought out very well !!! :whistling:

So are you saying the "new" sat nav has four disks but you can only put one in at a time? So you have to do a slight removal of switches in front if you want to change area, if so not very convenient - especially if you are driving on a motorway or autobahn at the time :(

thats what im saying ...yes.I got the latest discs for mine and although i will only use the west europe one(UK/IRE) if you were in central europe or wished to travel around europe you would have to change discs.....madness!!

thats what im saying ...yes.I got the latest discs for mine and although i will only use the west europe one(UK/IRE) if you were in central europe or wished to travel around europe you would have to change discs.....madness!!

Oh and by the way ...the navteq maps used are mid 2006!!! ***** I was very disappointed after spending €160 so save your money if you had last years disc

Sorry for the delay, but have been away.

Delexus, on my car, the auto locking feature was activated when I got it. It is also documented in the manual along with a way of changeing the settings. I think that if you do not have this featureor the soft rear seat pockets then your car is an earlier build.

The 4 DVD nav set only needs to be changed if you are driving to an area on another DVD. The DVD that I have in covers at least all of the UK, France and Spain and possibly a few other countries. You do not need a dealer to change the DVD (although it cannot be done while driving!). In the tool set, you will find 2 long metal rods. These are used to go into 2 holes in the clock panel. When depressed, this panel comes off easily and the nav DVD slot is behind it. I agree, a bit of a pain though.

Bob

The auto door locking feature was covered extensively in our none existent SA forums. Basically what was said there was, (writing from memory).

Lexus had received alot of flack from people about not having the what was deemed a basic "auto lock" feature so Lexus woke up to this and all new build models have this as standard now.

All vehicles prior to this build year can have it retro-fitted to their cars (here in SA, at a cost). It's not a mere software upgrade as there has to be a mechanism in the doors to actually lock them.

P.S. Lexus themselves didn't actually supply the retro fit parts but they were supplied by another aftermarket company. (for the life of me, I cannot recall the name of the company) but when people here in SA went into the dealerships to get theirs done, we were then told that it would be delayed as the units were problematic.

Sorry for the delay, but have been away.

Delexus, on my car, the auto locking feature was activated when I got it. It is also documented in the manual along with a way of changeing the settings. I think that if you do not have this featureor the soft rear seat pockets then your car is an earlier build.

Thanks for info s250newbie. Oh well !!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links