Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Electromagnetic Fields?

Seriously considering purchasing RX400h (I'm new to Lexus). Have a few children and am concerned about what I've read on the web (mostly from US) re electro magnetic interference from Battery - a phenomenon unique to hybrids apparently. Alleged health issues range from mood swings, headaches to extremely serious illnesses. Clearly I don't want to put my family in harm's way. The RX is different to the regular Lexus models in that the very powerful Battery is under the rear seat - where the kids sit in fact....

In our research thus far it's been difficult to find anyone who is prepared to come out and say it's 100% safe (much like the mobile phone scenario).

My wife and I need complete cast iron reassurance about the safety of this vehicle before purchasing and would appreciate anyone who has kids and a hybrid (or anyone with any views) dropping a note to this forum.

Thanks

Seriously considering purchasing RX400h (I'm new to Lexus). Have a few children and am concerned about what I've read on the web (mostly from US) re electro magnetic interference from battery - a phenomenon unique to hybrids apparently. Alleged health issues range from mood swings, headaches to extremely serious illnesses. Clearly I don't want to put my family in harm's way. The RX is different to the regular Lexus models in that the very powerful battery is under the rear seat - where the kids sit in fact....

In our research thus far it's been difficult to find anyone who is prepared to come out and say it's 100% safe (much like the mobile phone scenario).

My wife and I need complete cast iron reassurance about the safety of this vehicle before purchasing and would appreciate anyone who has kids and a hybrid (or anyone with any views) dropping a note to this forum.

Thanks

Rickthecat,

I'm a fleet manager and we have done a thorough investigation of EMF in hybrids, particularly the Prius. Our organizational standard in workspaces is to limit EMF to under 5 mG (Milli Gauss). In hybrid vehicles it is not uncommon to see levels as high as 300 mG at floor level with intensity decreasing by the square of the distance. This being the case, if you and your family spend significant time in the vehicle you might want to think carefully about your decision to purchase a vehicle with high EMF characteristics. You can imagine the exposure levels experienced by couriers, taxi cab drivers and commuters.

In the numerous reports I have read to date, while there is no direct cause and effect relationship with EMF and negative health conditions, there is definately an established association with EMF and negative health effects, some of which you have discovered on your own.

In full hybrid vehicles, the primary source of EMF is the wiring harness that connects the rear Battery to the AC/DC inverter in the engine bay. In a Prius, the wiring harness can carry 100 amps of current at any particular time.

I would like to see an objective and thorough publication showing EMF levels in all vehicles. The Department of Transportation in the U.S. has developed a thorough testing protocol but has yet to use it. Testing a vehicle is quite an expensive proposition. EMF can be reduced through the use of nickel sheilding. EMF should also not be confused with EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference).

While you won't find a consensus on EMF and health effects, I think a car purchaser has the right to know the EMF levels of a vehicle they are considering.

It is a difficult one to answer without conclusive, repeatable data.

I guess you have to ask yourself how much are you going to expose yourself and family. Hairdryers give out massive amounts - well into the hundreds. DVD players, monitors (LCD included), florescent lighting, etc. all add to this exposure every day.

Do you want to add to that? Without knowing how much you are exposing yourself to daily, the car may only be adding a small amount anyway. There again, without your lifestyle data it could be large. Distance makes a huge difference too. A six foot florescent can have 100mG at 6 inches - at 3ft it is only 4mG.

It is a part of modern day life that may or may not be harming us. Increasing risk? There are negative health effects associated with EMF but these are only associations at the moment not hard factual data. Certain people are just plain sensitive but these could easily be repeated if true.

While we don't know, the choice can only be yours. My personal opinion is yes - you are increasing risk. You will be exposing people to a field people wouldn't normally be exposed to. This doesn't mean it is harmful though and I do believe the risk is small based on my experience in the electronics field. I have no conclusive data myself so I am stressing this is only my opinion.

It must have some effect. Which way, I don't know yet.

Surely the government wouldn't allow them to be sold if they could harm us............. like cigarettes........

It is a difficult one to answer without conclusive, repeatable data.

I guess you have to ask yourself how much are you going to expose yourself and family. Hairdryers give out massive amounts - well into the hundreds. DVD players, monitors (LCD included), florescent lighting, etc. all add to this exposure every day.

Do you want to add to that? Without knowing how much you are exposing yourself to daily, the car may only be adding a small amount anyway. There again, without your lifestyle data it could be large. Distance makes a huge difference too. A six foot florescent can have 100mG at 6 inches - at 3ft it is only 4mG.

They are a part of modern day life that may or may not be harming us. Are they even increasing risk? There are negative health effects associated with EMF but these are only associations at the moment not hard factual data. Certain people are just plain sensitive but these could easily be repeated if true.

While we don't know, the choice can only be yours. My personal opinion is yes - you are increasing risk. You will be exposing people to a field people wouldn't normally be exposed to. This doesn't mean it is harmful though and I do believe the risk is small based on my experience in the electronics field. I have no conclusive data myself so I am stressing this is only my opinion.

It must have some effect. Which way, I don't know yet.

Surely the government wouldn't allow them to be sold if they could harm us............. like cigarettes.

Hope the government dont look at your post........ thay will TAX us on it next :shutit:

I think this might turn into a very informative thread as I don't think UK buyers consider the fuller options (and impacts) of cars they are buying - we get blinkered into looking at MPG only. I'm not a fan of the RX Hybrid (I really REALLY wanted to like that vehicle) but I remain unconvinced and didn't really think about the EMF issue at all.

I think the original poster of this thread (who wants a cast iron guarantee) will find that there can be no guarantees offered because I don't think these things are properly understood and tested. Its like global warming. For every one scientist that says there IS G/W you can find another who says there isn't (if you see what I mean). EMF and the like are phenomenons of the 21st C in which we live - surrounded by electronics and gadgets and gizmos all of which exude EMF to some degree. I know some want proof (either way) before they will be convinced, but I prefer to err on the side of caution and protect my family as best as I can. And with the EMF issue - it is of great concern to me and one that would bear hvy on my mind IF I were to consider purchasing a Hybrid.

I think its a very good question to ask, but not one to which you will find an answer (yet).

I think this might turn into a very informative thread as I don't think UK buyers consider the fuller options (and impacts) of cars they are buying - we get blinkered into looking at MPG only. I'm not a fan of the RX Hybrid (I really REALLY wanted to like that vehicle) but I remain unconvinced and didn't really think about the EMF issue at all.

I think the original poster of this thread (who wants a cast iron guarantee) will find that there can be no guarantees offered because I don't think these things are properly understood and tested. Its like global warming. For every one scientist that says there IS G/W you can find another who says there isn't (if you see what I mean). EMF and the like are phenomenons of the 21st C in which we live - surrounded by electronics and gadgets and gizmos all of which exude EMF to some degree. I know some want proof (either way) before they will be convinced, but I prefer to err on the side of caution and protect my family as best as I can. And with the EMF issue - it is of great concern to me and one that would bear hvy on my mind IF I were to consider purchasing a Hybrid.

I think its a very good question to ask, but not one to which you will find an answer (yet).

Thank you all for your posts. Very thoughtful and insightful. The poster above also hits the nail on the head when he talks about UK buyers. I read somewhere that the RX hybrid is the fastest selling lexus in the UK. Yet no-one seems to have asked my question on any of the forums. There's more to this than meets the eye and personally I will err on the side of caution/discretion, and opt for another manufacturer. It's a shame. I really wanted a Lexus, but I would never be able to get into the car without a nagging doubt in the back of my mind, so my feeling is it's best to leave it.

In researching on the web for an alternative large family estate car I also came across the EMF 'scandal' that recently rocked Volvo. So the V70 is out as well.

My options are being rapidly reduced by the minute....

In spite of the almost ubiquitous nature of electromagnetic fields (EMF) in both domestic and industrial environments there is no epidemiological evidence to suggest that exposure to EMFs is harmful. This is very reassuring. My own view is that it is most unlikely that EMFs of the magnitude one is likely to encounter have any significant adverse effects on health. I have no qualms about having my children in the back of my lexus hybrid and so far I have not noticed that their brains have become frazzled, although they are very quiet back there....perhaps more to do with the DVD players than the EMF though !

As for a cast iron guarantee, I'm afraid that in science, as in life, such things don't exist. As they say, the only certainties are death and taxes.

Thank you all for your posts. Very thoughtful and insightful. The poster above also hits the nail on the head when he talks about UK buyers. I read somewhere that the RX hybrid is the fastest selling lexus in the UK. Yet no-one seems to have asked my question on any of the forums. There's more to this than meets the eye and personally I will err on the side of caution/discretion, and opt for another manufacturer. It's a shame. I really wanted a Lexus, but I would never be able to get into the car without a nagging doubt in the back of my mind, so my feeling is it's best to leave it.

In researching on the web for an alternative large family estate car I also came across the EMF 'scandal' that recently rocked Volvo. So the V70 is out as well.

My options are being rapidly reduced by the minute....

How did you go about selecting your mobile phone, TV and Microwave?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links