Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying A Lexus - Things To Ask And Things To Look For?

Hi all

I'll be off to look at some Lexus' this weekend and wondered what things I should look out for and what questions should I ask which are specific to Lexus'.

I'm looking at something around a 2000 model, Auto SE.

Are there any special things to look out for on these models? Any parts of the servicing that should have been done at a certain time (e.g cambelt change). Are there any things that tend to go wrong (not likely from what I've read) that I should look out for.

Many thanks in advance.

By the way, I've seen a particular car that is selling as "Metallic Gold" but looks pretty silver to me. A plate check on the DVLA site shows it as Silver. Is there such a colour as Gold or Metallic Gold for these models?

Cheers!!

I would add the following checks:

1. Water leaks in the boot under the jack and on the opposite side. These can be fixed easily but until then you will have to live with the car misting up easily.

2. That the car definitely comes with a MASTER ignition key. I believe that these all have 3 buttons on them and it should be able to lock the glove box. Without this key you cannot have new keys cut easily and cheaply. Ideally you want one master key and one valet key.

3. Make sure that you are prepared for the poor fuel economy. I get 20mpg around town and 30mpg on a run and that is driving it sensibly!

4. Make sure that Mr Creosote (Monty Python) wasn't a previous owner and that the driver's seat is comfortable. If it feels odd or uncomfortable on a test drive then it will be very uncomfortable to own.

5. If you plan to have it serviced at the main dealer be prepared for very high servicing costs. The last service on mine was a minor one and cost over £300, the previous one was a major one (cam belt, etc) and there was not much change from £1500.

That said, I bought a W reg SE and it is taught and in good order even at 90k miles. If nothing goes wrong with it I'll be happy with it.

Happy hunting!

Hi all

I'll be off to look at some Lexus' this weekend and wondered what things I should look out for and what questions should I ask which are specific to Lexus'.

I'm looking at something around a 2000 model, Auto SE.

Are there any special things to look out for on these models? Any parts of the servicing that should have been done at a certain time (e.g cambelt change). Are there any things that tend to go wrong (not likely from what I've read) that I should look out for.

Many thanks in advance.

By the way, I've seen a particular car that is selling as "Metallic Gold" but looks pretty silver to me. A plate check on the DVLA site shows it as Silver. Is there such a colour as Gold or Metallic Gold for these models?

Cheers!!

Check the CD player for err-3

By the way, I've seen a particular car that is selling as "Metallic Gold" but looks pretty silver to me. A plate check on the DVLA site shows it as Silver. Is there such a colour as Gold or Metallic Gold for these models
?

When i was looking for one i saw one advertised as "persian quartz" -> probably the worst colour on an IS i've seen so far..... apologies to anyone who's got one of those :whistling: :winky:

By the way, I've seen a particular car that is selling as "Metallic Gold" but looks pretty silver to me. A plate check on the DVLA site shows it as Silver. Is there such a colour as Gold or Metallic Gold for these models
?

When i was looking for one i saw one advertised as "persian quartz" -> probably the worst colour on an IS i've seen so far..... apologies to anyone who's got one of those :whistling: :winky:

I think its Damietta Quartz or should be, sort of light gold colour :D

persian comes up a bit on some search engines, looks very similar to the exceptional common platinum ice.

5JHK1627-5B.jpg

don't buy an IS200 auto as it's only 4 speed and slooooow..... if you can stretch the budget get an IS300 instead, it's a proper auto :)

I think the gold IS200's are actually really nice ... pictures on monitors don't do them justice

btw .. apologies to any IS200 auto owners that i may have upset ;)

persian comes up a bit on some search engines, looks very similar to the exceptional common platinum ice.

5JHK1627-5B.jpg

Damietta Quartz is the is200 colour, persian is rx colour.

to check the cd player fill it with six cd's and it will tell you weather it has the err-3 code one disk might not bring it up if its just started to go.

Sit in EVERY seat, and make sure the leather hasnt ripped anywhere!

Check all four corners for scuff where people dont know the size of the car, and have had it touched up poorly!

also, check each light cluster for condensation, it can be cleaned but its a job you'd rather not have to do, and to look at its awefull.

don't buy an IS200 auto as it's only 4 speed and slooooow..... if you can stretch the budget get an IS300 instead, it's a proper auto :)

I think the gold IS200's are actually really nice ... pictures on monitors don't do them justice

btw .. apologies to any IS200 auto owners that i may have upset ;)

You're right, the auto IS200 is slower than glacial erosion but damn it's nice to sit in traffic in!!!

I agree that gold IS's are nice, they look different in the flesh.

Buy a good one and it'll serve you well, there's plenty of choice too so take your time.

Keep us posted and send pics when you get one.

Keith

In terms of IS's...check the following:

1) If fitted...make sure your heated seats work! I just had to have mine replaced on my LE IS200...(luckily under warranty). To fix they have to replace the entire seat back and base. It cost an eye-watering £6300 to do the job on mine (dealer/warranty company took the hit thankfully!).

2) Check the alloys for corrosion (common). Not a major issue and cheap enough to get refurbed.

3) The nose is quite vulnerable to stone-chipping. Have a good look at the front of the car to ensure there arnt any nasty suprises.

4) Air-con - check it works...(applies to any car really)...if not used regularly it could be expensive to bring the system back upto speed

5) Tyres/geometry. Have a look how the tyres are wearing. If they look heavy on the inside take a look on the posts on this forum about visiting Wheels in Motion to have your geometry done (I'm planning a visit soon!) :)

6) Insist on a full service history.

The rest are just obvious things really. It's always a good idea to try every button, every window...etc etc before you buy...especially if you are buying private.

But to be honest (despite all the issues I've had with mine)...the IS 200 as a car has always been highly rated. For a 4 year old car mine is pretty much squeak and rattle free and although I've had a fair few problems they have been dealt with very well at the Lexus Dealership I bought it from.

Get a good one...and I promise you won't regret it! :D

In terms of IS's...check the following:

1) If fitted...make sure your heated seats work! I just had to have mine replaced on my LE IS200...(luckily under warranty). To fix they have to replace the entire seat back and base. It cost an eye-watering £6300 to do the job on mine (dealer/warranty company took the hit thankfully!).

2) Check the alloys for corrosion (common). Not a major issue and cheap enough to get refurbed.

3) The nose is quite vulnerable to stone-chipping. Have a good look at the front of the car to ensure there arnt any nasty suprises.

4) Air-con - check it works...(applies to any car really)...if not used regularly it could be expensive to bring the system back upto speed

5) Tyres/geometry. Have a look how the tyres are wearing. If they look heavy on the inside take a look on the posts on this forum about visiting Wheels in Motion to have your geometry done (I'm planning a visit soon!) :)

6) Insist on a full service history.

The rest are just obvious things really. It's always a good idea to try every button, every window...etc etc before you buy...especially if you are buying private.

But to be honest (despite all the issues I've had with mine)...the IS 200 as a car has always been highly rated. For a 4 year old car mine is pretty much squeak and rattle free and although I've had a fair few problems they have been dealt with very well at the Lexus Dealership I bought it from.

Get a good one...and I promise you won't regret it! :D

£6300 for a seat.........?

£6300 for a seat.........?

Yup, that's what I was told the final cost of the warranty repair was for both front seats (bases and backs) to be replaced. (as the heating elements had gone) When they told me I nearly fainted! :blink:

Still brand new seats in a 4 year old car...I'm not complaining! :)

so im guessing that if it wasnt under warranty you would carry on with a cold arse :D

in all seriousness..I cant help think that Lexus must be ragging the warranty system big time...mines been back numerous times for warranty work..they just crack on and do it and someone gets the mega bill :D

They always love flashing the bill in front of you as if making out they have done you a favour...

Make sure you check everything over and depending on mileage make sure all the neccesary jobs have been done and kept serviced.

With the comment about high service costs if you shop around you wont be paying anymore than any normal car!

Hi

Thanks for all youre replies. When you reigister as a newbie on any forum and post your first thread asking a question it's rare to get such a good response.

OK, I got one...well deposit down due to pick up in the week.

Metallic grey SE, auto, 2000/V, 54k on the clock, 2 owners....£4500.

It drove well apart from slight pull to one side but the dealer assured me that would be looked at. Last owner has kerbed the wheels a bit so I'm guessing tracking has probably been knocked out.

Full service history from Lexus dealers. All stamped up to 42k I think. Here is where I am not sure what to do. The dealer (non-Lexus) has offered to have oil and filters changed as part of the deal and also stamp the book. So far all stamps have been Lexus and I'm not sure how the non-Lexus stamp will affect this. I've seen some pretty cheap prices for 50k service from Lexus dealers so I'm wondering whether to just continue with this and not worry about the free 'service' from the delaer.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Lexus dont do cheap services...they may quote you cheap for the 50k service but once they go through it and pick out everything that they think needs doing you will be looking at £££££££££ :crybaby:

my 04 reg copped a £1300 service for its 3 year job..

for a £4.5K V reg I would go with the dealers stamp and oil change etc...have a quick butchers at the tyres,pads and discs and see if they will fix if needed

you are not going to lose too much on any future sale value without a Lexus stamp at that age ...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links