Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Recurring Problem

Rikos

Well a while back i had a problem with a shaky steering wheel when going around 50 mph and then when braking real bad judder. This was resolved by chaning the discs and hurray all sorted but the shaky steering still remained.

So i got the wheels balanced and i thought this had cured the problem.

I was driving yesterday home from work and noticed that it seems to be shaking again around 50 mph and also the car pulls slightly to the left. I have had the geo done last year but feel i may have to make another trip to see the doctor unless anyone has any other suggestions.

Don't go around 50 mph.....

Maybe its just getting scared at that blistering speed?

Seriously, do you think it is originating at the wheels or maybe the steering rack? Best get it checked asap mate.

Power steering is fine.

Surely if it was the steering rack it would do it no matter what the speed.

I know that when the tracking is out that it has this effect but wasnt sure if there may be some other reason. It doesnt shake violently and doesnt alter the cars direction.

It is annoying though, makes me feel like i've got parkinson's!!

...could be a tyre failing.

If the structure of the tyre is damaged then you'll get an out of round tyre. It's easy to check. Visually you'll get extra wear where the tyre bulges - assuming the defect is in the tread area. You can check by jacking up the car, place a screwdriver on a paint tin close to the wheel rim, screwdriver point almost touching the rim, turn the wheel and if it touches the screwdriver tip, the wheel is buckled. Now do the same with the screwdriver tip almost touching the centre of the tread - same again, rotate and check for any abnormalities. You can do this for the sidewalls as well, the most difficult to check being the inside wall. You need to check also that the rim isn't buckled on the insde rim too. Speed bumps cause a lot of this type of damage to fat alloys.

Make sure once you've jacked up the car that you leave it for half an hour so that the natural flatspot caused by the weight of the parked car has had time to go back to round.

Good luck

jack

I am sure it is the tyres, had a similar judder problem when my tyres needed changing (all four) after service. Despite a full brake overhaul to Mintex, the problem persisted around 60mph. Once I changed the front NS the problem went, I noticed quite a gash in the thread.

Are the tyres balanced?

Try rotating the tyres, swapping them back to front (on the same axle).

Check that the suspension/bushes/balljoints are ok as well.

Are you sure that the alloys aren't buckled? Maybe caused by a pothole?

Do you have a sticky caliper(s)?

I am not aware that the wheels are buckled and have no reason to suspect that they are as not had any incidents with pot holes or hit speed bumps to fast etc etc

I think the caliper maybe is slightly not going back properly but i am hoping to sort this out next weekend so maybe this may resolve it but i'm not confident.

Well i was driving this weekend and have now discovered that the sterring wheel vibrates while the car is cold and then after a little while it stops and is fine :unsure: So i dont think it's a wheel issue as this surely would not matter whether the car is warm or cold.

Also, i have noticed then when turning on full lock i can hear a noise come from the engine which i think may be the power steering pump or belt.

So any suggestions?

I'm going to grease the calipers up on sunday at the midlands meet and check the discs and pads while i'm at it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links