Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Although I have recently bought my Ls400, I was considering changing to a LS430 6 speed. In yesterday's budget it appears that the VED for all LS430's registered after March 2001 will increase from £210 pa to £440pa from 2009/10 (CO2 269).

I can hear some people say that if you can afford to run a LS then you can afford the extra £230. Well not me! I will have to think hard about the change now, unless the price of car comes down considerably.

Do people think the prices are going to slide, or will drivers just swallow the increase?

The price to £300 band "G" is only for cars registered after march 23 2006, which will increase to 400 after April. unless I read it wrong?

I stand corrected, here is a link to expsplain in more detail..

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/road-tax/?deriv=20267

I dont see how they can double it!!!

so a guy with a little diesel doing 50K miles a year will pay less than a guy with luxury car he only uses at weekends?

so a guy with a little diesel doing 50K miles a year will pay less than a guy with luxury car he only uses at weekends?

Yes, in my driving school car I pay just £35 pa and do about 30K miles, compared with around 8K miles in my Lexus. My maths may be wrong but I make it a total of 3,392,000gms pa in the Lexus and 5,664,000gms of emissions pa from my Hyundai Getz diesel. Doesn't seem fair does it? Mind you I know which I prefer to be in. :crybaby:

Decided im going to by a 2000 spec cl600 of something 6.0 liter engine and only 185 quid a year theres one at the dealer for 16k so is do able might have to go have a look at it.

Mostly just to stick it to the government

Decided im going to by a 2000 spec cl600 of something 6.0 liter engine and only 185 quid a year theres one at the dealer for 16k so is do able might have to go have a look at it.

Here's a link regarding the government raping us all for car tax. It starts in 2009 so no need to panic just yet.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/B...t2008/DG_073093

Here's a link regarding the government raping us all for car tax. It starts in 2009 so no need to panic just yet.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/B...t2008/DG_073093

Once this information filters through, I think the value on post March 2001 cars over 255 CO2 (which includes the LS) will drop. Bear in mind also that the VED will always go up, so who knows what it will be in 3 years time! £600?.

I think there is the assumption (by the Government) that eventually the pre 01 cars will gradually be scrapped and therefore, the increases on these vehicles are small in comparison.

I've looked into it and my Camry will end up in the new top band of £440 in 2009, I can't really afford to pay the extra, but it would cost me several grand to change to a car thats cheaper to run with decent spec so I might aswell just pay the extra £230 a year instead.

I don't know what the answer is then guys.

Short of a revolution to let this theiving government know how we feel, we'll either have to pay the extra or drive 500cc faceless japanese shoe boxes to avoid the tax.

Alternatively we could all go out and buy pre 2001 4.6 range rovers that pumps nearly 400 gr of crap into the enviroment and say F*** off Mr Brown !

Incidentally, will this latest con by the government have an effect on pre 2001 cars?? Does anyone think they will become more desireable now and hold their re-sale value more ??

Personally I have a 2000 4.6 range rover on LPG and a 96 LS400 so either way I'm not really effected just yet (although one day I will be) Irony of it is that my missus in her diesel Laguna will end up paying more than me in TAX.......bit of a joke really isn't it ? Good old Labour !

On the plus side through, I'm glad to see the Government has tackled that major problem of carrier bags before it turned into a national crisis. You wouldn't believe how much more comfortable I'm sleeping at night safe in the knowledge that major catastrophe has been averted.....phew!......and we all thought nu-labour never had their finger on the pulse of Britain.

Well the "government :blink: " is not going to dictate which car I shall be driving. I will swallow the extra in car tax and feel real smug watching all those greenies sweat it out in their little euro **** boxes.

Fair play mate, i like the sound of that.

I wanna get a Prius (NO TAX!) disconnect the batteries, BIG turbo etc. See who can get the most emmisions out of one! Or some kind of V8 transplant...

Fair play mate, i like the sound of that.

I wanna get a Prius (NO TAX!) disconnect the batteries, BIG turbo etc. See who can get the most emmisions out of one! Or some kind of V8 transplant...

I've got a feeling my IS is early 2001, so i've got my fingers crossed! Not checked my V5 yet!

mmmmm tricky one. I have 2006 RX 350 which I am luck enough to have bought outright. Since ***** Turpin announced the latest budget I have been contemplating selling and getting lower tax car but........couldn't give a toss about the environment but do object to giving money to Gordon and his cronies.

1) RX is in peak of depreciation (worth about 22k now I suspect)

2) The replacement car needs to be nice - not a GWIZ!! which will cost me a few quid. Looked at BMW 1 series coupe and even a 120D with toys is 29K!!!

3) Depreciation will accelerate now as all band G cars are the spawn of the devil.

Result = probably keeping the car and running it into the ground because I am not sure I can recoup my losses in fuel and tax savings even with 50 mpg diesel.

Members thoughts appreciated as I have not fully made my mind up. The other side of me says if I am going to be stiffed 400+ a year I may as well get a Monaro or Range Rover and pay the same!!

mmmmm tricky one. I have 2006 RX 350 which I am luck enough to have bought outright. Since ***** Turpin announced the latest budget I have been contemplating selling and getting lower tax car but........couldn't give a toss about the environment but do object to giving money to Gordon and his cronies.

2) The replacement car needs to be nice - not a GWIZ!! which will cost me a few quid. Looked at BMW 1 series coupe and even a 120D with toys is 29K!!!

3) Depreciation will accelerate now as all band G cars are the spawn of the devil.

Result = probably keeping the car and running it into the ground because I am not sure I can recoup my losses in fuel and tax savings even with 50 mpg diesel.

Members thoughts appreciated as I have not fully made my mind up. The other side of me says if I am going to be stiffed 400+ a year I may as well get a Monaro or Range Rover and pay the same!!

Let's be brutally honest here.

This is absolutely nothing to do with the enviroment or saving the planet. This is a stealth tax, plain and simple.

Will the extra moiney generated go to enviromental projects ???.....NO.

It's just another way to get money off the hard working people of Britain whom the government have targetted as being able to afford it.

If you look at the figures another way, from next year you'll be paying an additional £4 / week to drive your car now than you did before the budget, now I'm sure the reasoning behiind the governments actions is that if you can afford to buy / maintain / and fuel big luxury cars, you can afford the extra £4 / week without kicking up too much fuss. (Obviously this will be considerablyt more if you live or commute in central London)

I do think it will have an adverse effect on new car sales, why on earth would you buy a brand new car and take the hit of double road tax for the first year, when a pre registered one will save you nearly £500. Obviously Gordy and his morons haven't factored that into the failing economy.

No one is happy about the present situation or how much money we pay in taxes each year, but everyone seems to convieniently forget this when it comes to election time.

You have a voice, use it !

Well you need SOMETHING nice to keep you happy. being a Toon supporter! :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Although I have recently bought my Ls400, I was considering changing to a LS430 6 speed. In yesterday's budget it appears that the VED for all LS430's registered after March 2001 will increase from £210 pa to £440pa from 2009/10 (CO2 269).

I can hear some people say that if you can afford to run a LS then you can afford the extra £230. Well not me! I will have to think hard about the change now, unless the price of car comes down considerably.

Do people think the prices are going to slide, or will drivers just swallow the increase?

The LS430 launched in Oct 2000 so try and find one from the first 6 months, but it will only be a 5 speed box.

Well you need SOMETHING nice to keep you happy. being a Toon supporter! :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

At least as a Newcastle fan I can enjoy every football final as a neutral!! :D

The LS430 launched in Oct 2000 so try and find one from the first 6 months, but it will only be a 5 speed box.

Yes!! Mine is October 2000, and I think 5 is plenty of speeds!

Had a lucky break for once, its value has probably gone up now. Not selling though, too nice for that.

Honest, I'm not gloating, that was a pretty mean trick in the Budget, as is anything retrospective so you can't have known what was coming when you made the original purchase decision. Well, I didn't vote for him. Oh that's right, nor did anyone else, they just snuck him in without asking us . . .

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links