Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Locking Wheel Nuts

I was at the Oxford Lexus dealer the other day, and overnight all their IS200's on the forecourt had had their alloy wheels stolen. The dealer said the factory fitted wheel nuts were east to remove.

If this is the case, can anyone recommend a good set of locking nuts. I'm keen to keep my new set !

IS200SE 2000

Probably someone felt sorry for them and took them away to be refurbished. :huh:

Keep your eyes peeled on eBay or loot for an advert saying 60 Lexus IS200 wheels-it might help catch the little buggers. :ph34r: Did they break into the cars to get the alloy key out? I bet most keys are kept in the glove box or the boot.

What about the wheel locks for the US spec IS300? They're reasonably successful in preventing theft in the US. In the end though, nothing will stop the determined thief.

http://www.lexus.com/lexus/showroom/model/...p?modelName=ISE

Scroll to the bottom of the list.

The outer surface is round, with no edges for anything to grab onto. Of course, this is also not that secure if the thief happens to have the master set of all the keys, although these master sets are kind of difficult for non-dealers to get.

-Ben

I dont know about the new models but the locking nuts that came with my car are the 3 stud recess type, the outside of the nut is smooth - so i doubt VERY much that the "gator grip" socket will work - but there are loads of ways to remove locking wheel nuts.

You have to remember that they are there to stop the oportunist thief - not the professional, they will get whatever they want, and it wont matter what you do -well maybe if you change all the wheel nuts to locking nuts then it wont be worth the hassle!!!!! :duh:

I think you might find the pins of the said device may well fill the recesses. Not sure whether the device will fit between the locking nut and the wheel though as there is not a lot of room in there.

I discovered on a previous car I owned there were only five different types of locking nuts ....

• 2 years later...

Guys and Gals,

I've been advised to get a new set of NON Toyota/Lexus wheel nuts.. I was told be very careful about getting the right size too..

Any suggestions?

T.I.A

Guys and Gals,

I've been advised to get a new set of NON Toyota/Lexus wheel nuts.. I was told be very careful about getting the right size too..

Any suggestions?

T.I.A

I have a set of McGard Wheel Locks to protect my OZ Hydras. Cost around £30 - £40 I think. They seem to be well designed in that it would be diffcult to force any sort of socket or removal tool over them to take them off as they are completly round and smooth. I remember reading a review in a car magazine once when they came out where they tested these and it took a professional over 35mins to remove one of them.

Another handy thing is that when you buy these you get a registation card which you send off to them in Germany so if you ever lose the key you can phone them and receive a replacment in 24 - 48hrs.

Like someone has already pointed out, I'g imagine these are only to deter the opportunist thief and may not prevent someone who really wants your wheels and has the equipment to overcome the locks.

I'd recommend these and I've used them on two previous cars and found them very good.

think with weel nuts u need a pip pin type ste up where u can't removethe nut without having a special prong to open it u'll know what i am on about fluff them stupid things that u have to push and pull at the same time to remove if u could put the handle on later no buggr would be able to remove them

think with weel nuts u need a pip pin type ste up where u can't removethe nut without having a special prong to open it u'll know what i am on about fluff them stupid things that u have to push and pull at the same time to remove if u could put the handle on later no buggr would be able to remove them

know what u mean but have never seen any pip pin based type, got any piccys.

wasnt it keiran (dark is) that had a prob with his mcgard wheel nuts( lost key), we told him a few tricks and his came off straight away!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links