Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mp3 Player Integration

I have a Samsung YP-K3 MP3 player and my question is, how can i play it through my car OEM stereo??

Yesterday i tried a Belkin FM modulator/transmitter (it has 4 preset FM frequencies to transmit) and found the quality OK, but only when i was holding the MP3 player (i.e boosting the signal through myself :lol: ), which obviously is no use to me.

Are there any better FM modulators that have a good signal boosting, or is there some other alternative.

I see a lot of stuff aimed at iPod's, such as this Grom Audio thing some people seem to have, but I have no idea about if they work for other MP3 players.

In case its important, my player just has a phono jack socket (straight pin) and a charging port.

oh, and before any says it......no i'm not plugging the earphones in and listening to it like that!! :lol: :o :lol:

cheers

rob

I have mine connected using a Prolex aux-in unit that Geoffers made. You'll be lucky to find one now though.

I seem to remember seeing something that did the same as the FM modulator but was on a cable you plugged into the aerial socket of the stereo and also allowed your standard aerial lead to plug in. You then picked it up over the radio but were guaranteed perfect reception. Can't remember where I saw it though but should be available somewhere.

Hy mate!

Grom is the right way yozu can walk on! Please forget these FM modulator/transmitter, the sound is really crap.

Before I bought my iPod nano I used a regular 20 GB player from Archos and ordered the Grom Audio AUX in Box. This box is about $20 Dollar cheeper than the iPod model and provides a good sounding interface between non apple MP3 Player and the OEM Stereo.

After installing this solution successfully I was wondering if the iPod solution was working as smoothly as the AUX one and odered the GROM iPod interface (you probably found my post in the audio/electronic section :) )

Whole installing the thig I found out that the iPod interface can handle both kinds of player: iPod and other over RCA plug. The only thing you have to change is the cable between the Grom Box and the Player, means if you buy the grom iPod interface and you are not having an iPod yet, you have the order an extra RCA cable for about 5 dollar.

After that you have all possibilities:

If you are lucky with your Samsung player -> perfect, just plug it on the Grom RCA cable end enjoy it (OK no control possibility over the OEM radio buttons)

If you decide to buy an iPod -> perfect, just change the RCA cable the the regluar iDoc cable (which came as default with your grom box) and enjoy the soundquality all described features like full iPod control over the stock radio buttons.

For further details please check this thread

Ipod Control Solution For Oem Stereo Is200/300 Finally Found, Affordable self install plug ‘n play solution for iPOD/MP3 Player

Cheers

Sonnet

cheers sonnet, that help.

so i wont be able to use the stereo controls with the samsung player??

how easy is the kit to fit and it will definitely work with the RCA cable in my samsung unit??

cheers

rob

Hi Rob,

the adapter (Grom ipod interface) will definitly work with your Samsung player if you order this this extra RCA cable beside of the the default one which is included.

Using the Samsung controls is not possible, due to the reason that the RCA cable is just an audio connection and no data interface like the iPod docking cable. Sorry!

Fitting is absolute easy and can be done by EVERYONE in less than one hour.

Handos brilliant walkthrough with pics you can find under the following link

How To Install The Gromaudio Ipod Adaptor In 1st Gen Is, (also headunit removal)

If you have finally fitted the thing and start the get this new listening experience, I can guaranty you that you will throw these FM transmitters away - as far as you can :lol:

Cheers

Sonnet

Hi Rob,

the adapter (Grom ipod interface) will definitly work with your Samsung player if you order this this extra RCA cable beside of the the default one which is included.

Using the Samsung controls is not possible, due to the reason that the RCA cable is just an audio connection and no data interface like the iPod docking cable. Sorry!

Fitting is absolute easy and can be done by EVERYONE in less than one hour.

Handos brilliant walkthrough with pics you can find under the following link

How To Install The Gromaudio Ipod Adaptor In 1st Gen Is, (also headunit removal)

If you have finally fitted the thing and start the get this new listening experience, I can guaranty you that you will throw these FM transmitters away - as far as you can :lol:

Cheers

Sonnet

Hi guys, I have been doing someresearch into a device which would allow me to connect either a Ipod or a Mini disc, this unit sounds prefect, but I have some questions:

a) Not sure how you get the top off the dash?

B) will it only connect to an Ipod?

c) any way of lengthening the leads to install unit in glove box?

d) does it generate heat?

e)Will it effect warranty (think mine has run out, but not sure, I'm at work will check later)

f) my head unit is a 13906 any problems with operation of this unit?

Cheers guys you all are very helpful

Mark B

Yep mate, get the AUX version of the Grom unit, not the iPod one..........I've got it working with my bluetouch and it works perfectly.

It's just normal red and white RCA cables that come out of it so you can just plug your mp3 player straight in. Downside is that you still need to control the music with the player, but otherwise it'll work fine :)

Hi guys, I have been doing someresearch into a device which would allow me to connect either a Ipod or a Mini disc, this unit sounds prefect, but I have some questions:

e)Will it effect warranty (think mine has run out, but not sure, I'm at work will check later)

Mark B

a) Have you got satnav? If so, lift up the little flap and unscrew, then pull forwards. If not, it should either just pull forwards, or there are screws under the felt depending on age of car, but not sure about this one.

B) The iPod version is specifically for the iPod, the aux version is just a generic audio cable for any player.......but won't be able to control it with the headunit.

c) Not sure about lengthening the leads, but the box fits quite neatly next to the stereo, and then the cables are long enough to go from there to the glovebox.

d) Don't think so, I've had mine in there for a few months and haven't had any problems.

e) You won't have any warranty problems, not actually cutting into anything, it simply plugs straight into the spare socket on the back of your stereo so you can always just unplug it.

f) I can't remember for sure, but I think mine is a 13906 and it works fine. There's only one kind of stereo so far that has had problems, can't remember which one but if you search you should be able to find it.

Sorry forgot to add :crybaby: , sister in-law is off to the US of A (atlanta) do you think it she be stopped and questioned at customs if it's in her suitcase?

" excuse me miss do you have a Grom audio interface for a lexus IS200 in your suitcase?" haha no mate if they do stop her and search the cases they may ask about the value of items u have bought - just give a low figure.

for radio removal look in the work shop or use a handy little feature called the "search button"

Mark B

a) Have you got satnav? If so, lift up the little flap and unscrew, then pull forwards. If not, it should either just pull forwards, or there are screws under the felt depending on age of car, but not sure about this one.

B) The iPod version is specifically for the iPod, the aux version is just a generic audio cable for any player.......but won't be able to control it with the headunit.

c) Not sure about lengthening the leads, but the box fits quite neatly next to the stereo, and then the cables are long enough to go from there to the glovebox.

d) Don't think so, I've had mine in there for a few months and haven't had any problems.

e) You won't have any warranty problems, not actually cutting into anything, it simply plugs straight into the spare socket on the back of your stereo so you can always just unplug it.

f) I can't remember for sure, but I think mine is a 13906 and it works fine. There's only one kind of stereo so far that has had problems, can't remember which one but if you search you should be able to find it.

Cheers mate will try to remove it later and order the unit once I have looked at the back of the unit, the car is a IS200 SE auto with no sat nav.

When I connect the unit do I have to disconnect the Battery first and if so is it just reconnecting the connectors at the terminal or do I have to follow a sequence, I use the car everyday so it needs to start first time.

Cheers mate will try to remove it later and order the unit once I have looked at the back of the unit, the car is a IS200 SE auto with no sat nav.

When I connect the unit do I have to disconnect the battery first and if so is it just reconnecting the connectors at the terminal or do I have to follow a sequence, I use the car everyday so it needs to start first time.

I didn't disconnect the Battery, didn't actually unplug anything at all. Just unscrewed the relevant bits, pulled the stereo and climate control unit forward just enough to get my hand behind and felt around till I found the empty plug. Then just plugged it in, housed the grom unit to the left of the stereo and put it all back.

I'm probably going to go back in there to fix things down, but it really isn't necessary, it's just me being a little crazy :)

If you do want to disconnect the Battery (which I did when I was wiring in my handsfree), I simply took the + cable off, and then put it back after I finished. You'll lose your trip mileage and radio presets, but otherwise all is fine.

someone on here is selling there unit as it doesn't work on their bottom loading radio unit.....thinks its swdfcn???

I think it's one particular kind of bottom loader that was problematic (13902 i think?), not all of them so you might be ok. Check your radio code and report back :)

someone on here is selling there unit as it doesn't work on their bottom loading radio unit.....thinks its swdfcn???

I think it's one particular kind of bottom loader that was problematic (13902 i think?), not all of them so you might be ok. Check your radio code and report back :)

i presume thats on the back of the radio?? i.e need to pull the sucker out??

yeh its the 13902 stereo :crybaby:

The screws under the felt don't seem to do anything other than hold the felt on. I have a 99 IS200 Sport with no Sat Nav and just pulled the top section forward to release it, no need to do anything with the felt pad. The same with the bottom section where the heated seats, traction control and snow switches are, just crab and pull. Doing that exposes 2x 10mm bolts above the middle section and 2 below. Undo them and pull it forward. Really is a simple job, even for me!

I've installed a Grom iPod interface without actually having an iPod yet so don't know if it works. Hope mine's not a 13902 then, didn't know about that :blink:

yeh its the 13902 stereo :crybaby:

yep, i have that unit too.

ohh welll, never mind

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links