Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

What Head Unit With Flip Out Screen

Hi,

I'm looking for advice regarding head units for the Accord.

I've had Lexus cars for so long, I have forgotten how much choice there is with single din head units!

I'm looking at new or used, 4x50W, flip out 7inch screen, plays divx, dvds, mp3s, etc, has input for freeview aerial and reversing camera, can stick a memory card on it and play files too.

It's got a 4x50W Panasonic at the moment, which is reasonable sound quality. Budget is up to 250 quid for the head unit with aerial.

Thanks guys!

P.S I don't know if it'w worth sticking with Panasonic, as I have a 12 CD changer in the boot. Could that be used with a new Panasonic head unit?

have you had a look at the ripspeed filp out dvd player you can pick them up for about £175 brand new and are really good and have everything you need,i had a pioneer avh 6500dvd until the cogs went that wound the screen up and down and the internal amp stopped working.i am after a new one myself so if i cant get hold of another pioneer one its gonna be the ripspeed just for pure value for money

I'm looking at new or used, 4x50W, flip out 7inch screen, plays divx, dvds, mp3s, etc, has input for freeview aerial and reversing camera,

can stick a memory card on it and play files too.

Don't want a lot do yer :winky:

I may come across as a bit of a Stereo Snob here with what follows, but that is not my intention. I have just learnt over many

years of car stereos of different costs and Manufacturers, that buying a no-name eventually ends up in wishing I bought quality.

As suggested above the Hell Frauds own branded Ripspeed DVD units, & they are cheap, but I've seen nearly new ones on E-Bay,

which makes me wonder why you would sell it soon after you bought it :huh:

You can go down the cheap E-Bay Hong Kong no name brands too, but with either option you will loose the ability to use

the 12 CD Changer in the boot.

One real main question. What sound quality are you after ?

Remember the old addage of "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is".

When you buy a premium branded Car Stereo (Alpine, Kenwood, Panasonic, Pioneer etc), you are obviously paying for

the name/brand reputation etc in some of the purchase price, also though you are paying for reliable sound quality.

What you also pay for is the research and developement, and the actually quality of the components.

If you have a limited budget, and a list of functions that are vital, then the unbranded option is probably you're only option,

unless you get a secondhand bargain. If you are willing to compromise with the number of functions, then you have more

room to manuvere with a possible brand name. It's a balancing act, & you need to decide what compromises you can make.

Lets put it this way Maneesh, you buy a Chevrolet Matiz (cheap & nasty) due to budget restrictions, but then you cannot

expect the refinement of a Rolls Royce, the off-Road capabilities of a Range Rover, and the fuel economy of a Toyota Prius etc.

It ain't gona happen, corners & capabilities will be cut somewhere.

....worth sticking with Panasonic, as I have a 12 CD changer in the boot. Could that be used with a new Panasonic head unit?

Panasonic CQ-VD5005N Motorised DVD monitor is the cheapest DVD single DIN flip screen Panasonic I can find,

and at a price of £450 is way out of your budget.

You would also need to contact Panasonic here or call 0844 844 3852 to see if this DVD head Unit is compatible

with your 12 CD Changer in the boot, or which discontinued models were compatible. You may then find a secondhand Head Unit

from E-Bay that will be compatible with your Changer.

I personally think if you can find a secondhand Panasonic Head Unit that will work with your CD Changer, that would probably

be your best bet, or get a Ripspeed flip out screen model (that way it's not far to Hell Frauds to return if any problems).

Best of luck with your search matey B)

thanks wozza. i didn't realise freeview car tuners are around 200 odd quid alone..so my bad..

will ditch the freeview idea then..

had a browse around and if I may go for this clarion that seems to be stuffed with all the features i am looking for

Clarion dvd head unit

....I didn't realise freeview car tuners are around 200 odd quid alone..so my bad..

Freeiew tuners can be had from £30 on eBay, the ones that actually work when you are on the move

(illegal to watch whilst driving )go from £100 upwards. All of these tuners will be affected in built up areas.

So what are you saying Wozza :question: Halfords is best bet for him :question: free fitting to :D

fitting I can do myself

Why fit it yourself if fitting is free ?

The Clarion looks nice but is £400, somewhat over the budget (£250) you initially asked me to look at :whistling:

I'm sure another member has /had one of these.

There is a Panasonic one for £450. Links above to contact Panasonic to see if it will connect to your 12 CD Changer

....I didn't realise freeview car tuners are around 200 odd quid alone..so my bad..

Freeiew tuners can be had from £30 on eBay, the ones that actually work when you are on the move

(illegal to watch whilst driving )go from £100 upwards. All of these tuners will be affected in built up areas.

So what are you saying Wozza :question: Halfords is best bet for him :question: free fitting to :D

fitting I can do myself

Why fit it yourself if fitting is free ?

The Clarion looks nice but is £400, somewhat over the budget (£250) you initially asked me to look at :whistling:

I'm sure another member has /had one of these.

There is a Panasonic one for £450. Links above to contact Panasonic to see if it will connect to your 12 CD Changer

ahh if it's free fitting then yes i would use them!

the clarion is discounted to 349 online, and the panasonic is discounted to 370 now..will give panasonic a tinkle..cheers fella.

i've had to up my budget to get most of what im looking for

hmmm, that kenwood is tempting..i just realised if i take the clock out of the centre console, there is space for a double din unit, so i've been looking at those too..

as a left field choice, a pretty modern piece of kit with Bluetooth support too is JVC AVX33

that comes in around 250..

have you got a link for the better freeview boxes for the car?

ive already got a cheapy one and i bought an uprated screen mounted ariel but it still cuts out when i drive.

also manesh, get urself a reverse camera. everyone loves that when they get in my car!! cool little gimmick!!

and personally id go for the kenwood for the brand and quality but a friend of mine got a headunit off eBay and it is simply the nuts. it has everything u want and more, even has the sat nav built in!!! cant think of the name but i can find out if u want? think it cost him about £150

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links