Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fire....fire At Wim Station.........

Heart attack material or what!!!!!

We finished a suspension install on a IS200 and was prepared to move the car on to the Geo ramp.... Mark at wim turned on the ignition then suddenly the "under bonnet" was pluming smoke.

Desperately staff were trying to open the bonnet despite the choking smoke while i was running around blindly picking up things (chicken, spoon, broom) ready to extinguish the impending fire.

I turned out the car had a LED headlight modification that decided to go electrically public with the body and burn all the wiring.

A quick yank at the connections belayed any significant fire but i confess the event aged me a few years...

Point to note it had nothing to do with us other than the fact it happened in the centre..... Didn't make my day in the heart attack department whatever........

:crying:

tony dont ever do that again

i just had a heart attack when i read the thread title

glad the centres ok ....and everything in it :shifty:

glad things were not to bad, shows what a bad bit or wiring can do !!

Was it a member here?

What do you mean by LED headlight mod?

Glad the centres ok mate.

Stav

Yes it was a member... The mod was a train of LED's over the headlights (i forget the exact name) ..... My initial thoughts were "what have we done wrong?" but since we only installed a damper on the rear and not even opened the bonnet i was pleasantly relived it had nothing to do with us.

Once my team had opened the bonnet the owner pulled the wires (probably burnt his fingers) and the drama was over.

We just patched up any exposed wiring and continued with the calibration.

damn, sorry to hear that tony. glad everything is ok.

i have these light brows fitted also, wonder what could have caused the problem :unsure:

hard to see how they would have caused the fire, unless there was some freak wire short etc etc.

are you sure the LED brows were the cause??

be interesting to know where the owner got the brows from.....

damn, sorry to hear that tony. glad everything is ok.

i have these light brows fitted also, wonder what could have caused the problem :unsure:

hard to see how they would have caused the fire, unless there was some freak wire short etc etc.

are you sure the LED brows were the cause??

be interesting to know where the owner got the brows from.....

Yep, that's the word "LED strips".... When they "went off" the heat was so intense it melted the plastic surround that holds the LED's and the wiring... Seemingly there is no fuse in between?..... I don't know if this is right or wrong "sparks" is not my field.

Where they came from i have no idea..... Why they caught fire i have no idea.

:crying:

tony dont ever do that again

i just had a heart attack when i read the thread title

glad the centres ok ....and everything in it :shifty:

glad things were not to bad, shows what a bad bit or wiring can do !!

Sorry...... You said today wasn't the best ever for you, so to read about a fire in the centre that's holding your Starlet rocket must have been.... concerning!!!

Imagine if Mat's Monster had been burnt!!!!.... I would have had a Sherman tank's loaded turret up my one eye for punishment :crybaby:

What a day.........

Yikes... :o

lucky the owner was there too,... anyway lessons learned, fire extinguishers at the ready... ;)

Indeed.... But like i said in panic i was "spoon, chicken, bandanna".... Anything in view was a firefighting tool.

Like Tony & Barrie, heart attack time !!!

Glad the damage to the centre was nil, and too the car very minor.

I have a set I was going to fit to mine over the weekend..... not so sure now :unsure:

So will the unlucky member (who didn't fit a suitable fuse I'm guessing :o) reveal himself/herself ?

Who did the wiring install and who supplied the LED's ?

Glad all is OK, but whilst even I can understand the broom and bandana, what's the piece with that Chicken of yours?

Were you thinking of using the Bandana as a serviette and Spearing it with the broom, to make a spit and cooking it there an then?

It was lunch time :whistling:

The mod was a train of LED's over the headlights

One of the many things i have intended to sort out on mine, but not got round to yet!

Would be very interested (as would others i expect) to see if the fault was down the LEDs or the way they were fitted.

This mod spread around a few months ago and there are plenty of members with it fitted.

Heart attack material or what!!!!!

We finished a suspension install on a IS200 and was prepared to move the car on to the Geo ramp.... Mark at wim turned on the ignition then suddenly the "under bonnet" was pluming smoke.

Desperately staff were trying to open the bonnet despite the choking smoke while i was running around blindly picking up things (chicken, spoon, broom) ready to extinguish the impending fire.

I turned out the car had a LED headlight modification that decided to go electrically public with the body and burn all the wiring.

A quick yank at the connections belayed any significant fire but i confess the event aged me a few years...

Point to note it had nothing to do with us other than the fact it happened in the centre..... Didn't make my day in the heart attack department whatever........

WOW, good job you stopped it before it started :D

One of the many things i have intended to sort out on mine, but not got round to yet!

Would be very interested (as would others i expect) to see if the fault was down the LEDs or the way they were fitted.

This mod spread around a few months ago and there are plenty of members with it fitted.

ive just done it myself, but there's that many types out there we'd really need the owner to start a thread about!?

Sorry to hear about the warehouse Tony, hope damage really is minimal

ive just done it myself, but there's that many types out there we'd really need the owner to start a thread about!?

Sorry to hear about the warehouse Tony, hope damage really is minimal

Centres fine thank you, as is the car.....apart from the wiring.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links