Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

3g Iphone Announcement

How sad for Nokia to build its flagship model and have to give it away as a free upgrade as no one would pay their hard-earned cash for it.

I think you're confused, they don't give them away free, networks subsidise them and we pay for them through our contracts.........

100% accurate matey. The networks subsidise the price of handsets as that's the way that the market has developed here in the UK. We are so used to getting "free" phones of whatever brand by taking out a new 12/18month contract.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those randomly comparing iPhone sales with Nokia and WM and the like - umm think for a minute.

Randomly? You are the one who wouldn't answer my request for Iphone sales figures when I asked for supporting evidence to back up your statement that the Iphone has decimated the mobile phone market. I'm not trading in opinions, but facts. :shifty:

"According to Jupiter Research, fewer than 350,000 of the five million iPhones sold so far were bought in Europe. "

"Today a queue of some 60 people formed outside Apple's flagship store, on 5th Avenue in New York, in anticipation of the launch."

Source: iphone launch rumours

For those randomly comparing iPhone sales with Nokia and WM and the like - umm think for a minute.

No need. the old one was crap. Too many people are saying it now and passing them on.

How long have Nokia been making phones and distributing GLOBALLY?

iPhone is available in SIX countries only (for a few more hours...) and for what - a year?

The speed the market is increasing, apple haven't dominated the market - it's disproportionate. More users, more companies making the phones. You are talking about just Nokia - lets look at global phone sales for all mobile phone companies. apple haven't had that much of an impact - mobile market is over 1bn phones. They haven't done that well now have they...?

WM is an utter flop - only 20M phones?? That is utterly pathetic for a global distribution.

Apple will top 10M in 2008 easily with ONE phone. WM is on countless models!!

Apple make a huge amount of money on their phones and revenue sharing than Nokia do on their feeble efforts.

I've not seen any real marketing strategies for these. apple are in the news and everywhere. Public awareness is a lot greater. People think they should have one. (Until they get one of course and ship it on). Having the dictatorial fixed minimum contract is securing a lot of them for apple.

They make huge amounts of money because apple dictate prices. No negotiation.

Marketing and contracts is what they are about - They are good at it - I'll give them that.

How sad for Nokia to build its flagship model and have to give it away as a free upgrade as no one would pay their hard-earned cash for it.

No they don't, the networks do. They would subsidise the Iphone too if they were allowed to.

Apple has the luxury of being able to drop its prices whenever it wants to. But why bother? People are buying them as fast as they can build them.

They can drop their prices because they are making a fortune.

See post above about the marketing, etc. No, they weren't buying them as fast as they made them at that price - they had to make a business decision to drop the price in order to shift them.

The iPhone 2 will speak for itself.

I do hope it does. I liked the first one based on its marketing and the initial few minutes I played with it.

If it is, then I will get one and shout to the world. Honestly, I really do want it to be all they say it is.

I have no dislikes towards apple - I have, and have had, several machines over the years. If you notice, I will never jump onto the apple v others argument as I have been an engineer for over 20years. There's plenty I could say about apple......

Your brand loyalty is admirable but you need to be objective. Open up to other equipment - you might even like it if you allow yourself.

Tigerfish: All you needed to do was buy AAPL 8 years ago and u'd be retire by now...

I could say the same about Tescos

I'll probably get one of these, a lot of the apps are gimicky, I wonder how long it will be before TomTom or similar is ported?

I've already got a great idea for an app, I'm not revealing anything but it will set the world alight :lol:

In the meantime I'll slam firmware 2.0 on this thing and take it from there!

said it about 10 months ago...i didn't think the Iphone was what it should be. nearly everyone i know who had one was dissapointed after a couple of days.

i got rid and i know a fair few who have. of course, there will always be 'apple till i die' supporters and thats fair enough.

unfortunately, IMHO, apple won't out do SE in terms of quality phones. I think SE are the best on the market in terms of versatility, choice etc etc.

just youtube/google Xperia X1 and have a look at some in depth demo's..........

and there are a few others hitting the market in late 08/early 09 that will wipe the floor with the rest...

I do like SE phones too, but the last two models I've had were shocking in terms of hardware reliability plus from what I've seen they are turning into Nokia from a firmware perspective - ie they release the new model full of bugs and you have to wait more than 6 months while they iron the bugs out in a public beta!

Admittedly most companies are getting that way now which is shocking from a consumer perspective. I got through 4 k750s and I was on my 5th k850 before I got the Iphone.

It was the touch buttons on the new ones that keep dying - and believe me I dont abuse them, they just kept failing!

I'm looking forward to the new ones but nowadays I refuse to buy any new product as I'll wait until its been tweaked enough to be fit for purpose! Shame as I always loved gadgets :(

I do like SE phones too, but the last two models I've had were shocking in terms of hardware reliability plus from what I've seen they are turning into Nokia from a firmware perspective - ie they release the new model full of bugs and you have to wait more than 6 months while they iron the bugs out in a public beta!

Admittedly most companies are getting that way now which is shocking from a consumer perspective. I got through 4 k750s and I was on my 5th k850 before I got the iPhone.

It was the touch buttons on the new ones that keep dying - and believe me I dont abuse them, they just kept failing!

I'm looking forward to the new ones but nowadays I refuse to buy any new product as I'll wait until its been tweaked enough to be fit for purpose! Shame as I always loved gadgets :(

I agree with Aido, my last 4 years worth of contracts have been SE S600i, K700, K750 and K850. Was a fan, but since i got my K850 in October i am now on my 4th, utter crap! i have lost faith

For those worried about quality, the SE Experia X1 is not a Sony ericsson handset, it's actually built by HTC (manufacturer of the Touch, etc) so I think it should be pretty well built. Hence the reason why it runs WM, and not Symbian OS, and also has a microSD slot rather than memory stick.........

As for the iPhone3G, am I missing something or is it just an Iphone with 3G and A-GPS? I still don't see any mention of A2DP support so that would still be annoying, especially as the hardware is there so why they've left it off I have no idea (probably because they haven't got a set of wireless headphones yet)

Also a bit disappointing that it only has A-GPS rather than a proper GPS receiver - I know it's much quicker to lock on but it's usually quite expensive to use, unless they've included unlimited usage in the tariffs...........

I've gotta say though, it doesn't seem like much of a change from the original, but at least the pricing is starting to become a lot more realistic...........Free on a £45/month contract is actually quite reasonable, even if it is an 18 month one. Does anyone know what O2s rules are in terms of downgrading tariff during a contract? It used to be 3 months when I was on O2 many years ago but I guess things have changed now :whistling:

For those worried about quality, the SE Experia X1 is not a Sony ericsson handset, it's actually built by HTC (manufacturer of the Touch, etc) so I think it should be pretty well built. Hence the reason why it runs WM, and not Symbian OS, and also has a microSD slot rather than memory stick.........

As for the iPhone3G, am I missing something or is it just an iPhone with 3G and A-GPS? I still don't see any mention of A2DP support so that would still be annoying, especially as the hardware is there so why they've left it off I have no idea (probably because they haven't got a set of wireless headphones yet)

Also a bit disappointing that it only has A-GPS rather than a proper GPS receiver - I know it's much quicker to lock on but it's usually quite expensive to use, unless they've included unlimited usage in the tariffs...........

I've gotta say though, it doesn't seem like much of a change from the original, but at least the pricing is starting to become a lot more realistic...........Free on a £45/month contract is actually quite reasonable, even if it is an 18 month one. Does anyone know what O2s rules are in terms of downgrading tariff during a contract? It used to be 3 months when I was on O2 many years ago but I guess things have changed now :whistling:

I think, although not 100% sure, that you can only downgrade after 6 months now

Admittedly most companies are getting that way now which is shocking from a consumer perspective. I got through 4 k750s and I was on my 5th k850 before I got the iPhone.

I agree with Aido, my last 4 years worth of contracts have been SE S600i, K700, K750 and K850. Was a fan, but since i got my K850 in October i am now on my 4th, utter crap! i have lost faith

It's funny you guys having trouble with the k850 - I've got a K850i and have had it since mid-january, and haven't had any trouble with it at all. My previous SE was a couple of years before (K600i I think!) and the joystick kept going wrong on it which was really annoying. Suddenly, you wouldn't be able to move it in one particular direction. It was only when I saw the 850 had moved to a button arrangement instead of the joystick that I considered them again. I'm glad I did - I've been pleased with it... The camera is superb - I've stopped using my proper camera now unless I know I'll need a proper zoom function. For standard snapping the camera in the phone (5MP) is more than adequate.

I totally agree with the camera comment it is impressive - even more so with the latest firmware versions!

What I found was that the phone would be fine then you'd notice the touch buttons weren't quite as responsive as before - then next thing you know they either just flat out refuse to work or stick so means the phone becomes totally useless!

I'd definitely recommend you have everything you want off there backed up just in case - I had three go while they were in my pocket and one started going wrong while it was sat on my desk at work!

All were in perfect condition and had never been dropped and never scratched etc - it was totally random!

• 1 month later...

Iphone naysayers...

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/07/14iphone.html

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/07/14appstore.html

The few people here to try an Iphone and NOT like it are in the minority....

The Iphone has the highest customer satisfaction of ALL phones by a MILE.

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/...m-trails-at-54/

The single thing that puts the Iphone ahead of the rest - the iTunes Application Store. THIS is the single most important thing above all others. iTunes was the reason the iPod is where it is today, the iTunes App Store will be the reason the Iphone comes to dominate. (You can access it by clicking the button on the left of the iTunes Music store)

The Iphone tsunami has begun. Just watch :)

PS Geoffers: I design and rollout mobile phone networks and have had any phone I want for free with unlimited usage for years. The Iphone knocks them all dead. Patronise someone else. :whistling:

PS Geoffers: I design and rollout mobile phone networks and have had any phone I want for free with unlimited usage for years.

Good for you mate. I'm still not buying an Iphone.

a bit :offtopic: ... I hope you didn't design and rollout the O2 or Vodafone networks, 'cos if you did, you did a sh%t job. I still can't believe that I lose signal on both networks on my journey between Basingstoke and Dorking. It's not as if I'm in the middle of nowhere :tsktsk:

No problem. I am sure Apple will survive without you buying one :)

What?? You have given up on me already?? I thought you were a harder salesman to shake off than that!! apple need to up your commission.

Vodafone no, O2, some of it but not in your area. :)

You mean the Iphone won't fix all my problems?

The fanatical nature of your posts is admirable, and also amusing. Keep them coming!

My Nokia which cost me 10 quid to buy has a Battery that can be replaced by the user. In fact, if I happen to use up my Battery during the day, I can just stick a fully charged one straight in.

Why does the Iphone not have the same basic feature that even the cheapo mobile phones have? Do I smell "money making scam" here?

hehe I know better than to bang my head against a brick wall Tigerfish! If everyone had an Iphone there would be nobody for those with us with iPhones to look down our noses at! ;)

The Iphone can't help you move house, although you could look for a new place on it's amazing hi-speed browser! :)

Maneesh: Ye old replaceable Battery one eh? *sigh* Yeah what a flop the iPod has been because it has no replaceable Battery...

Come on - you can do better than that! :)

It does baffle me that a collection of individuals such as those on this forum who have selected their car with such care and do not do the same for other things. A phone may be more personal to some than their car so why not put some effort into researching it rather than rely on hearsay. Very strange. I would go so far as to say the Lexus ethic - the care and effort that goes into their cars is similar to the care apple put into their products.

If everyone had an iPhone there would be nobody for those with us with iPhones to look down our noses at! ;)

Maneesh: Ye old replaceable battery one eh? *sigh* Yeah what a flop the iPod has been because it has no replaceable battery...

Come on - you can do better than that! :)

It is a COOL phone, there is no argument about that.

Look down our noses at? WTF, is this some sort of school playground?

My phone is better than your phone malarkey. Grow up, seriously. You've just gone from being amusing to downright offensive.

I asked an objective question about the lack of a user replaceable Battery.

You can't even provide a logical response to my question. Again, a child could provide more "objectivity".

Anyway, this thread has become boring. Bye.

ahh good o, tony the tyger's back with his Iphone worshiping sermon...... :lol::lol:

do you post on an apple forum mate? as that seems a little more suited to most of ur forum contributions????

oh, two words..... Xperia X1!! we'll say what happens when that bad boy is released!!! B)

@Maneesh, yes mate ur right. the ONLY reason for a sealed unit is a money making effort!! there's no other reason for it. Its the way of the apple empire i'm afraid. Not that i'm against apple because i think some of their products are fantastic. i do, however, despise their marketing ploys and way of having the buyer bent over a barrell when things need replacing etc etc.

for the record, my mum, who lives in the states is now on her 6th (yep, that's 6!!) Iphone as a result of faults/bugs etc......she's now getting something else!!!

Maneesh: firstly I was talking to Tigerfish, secondly it's time u learned what ;) means.

I am bored of answering 6 year old BS about replaceable batteries that have been talked to death all over the net. Try Google. Look at the iPod and think.

Robb: yes the X1. I look fwd to the non-event of it's release. You are confusing specs with a useable portable computing device people crave. I can just see people queuing all round the world for it now...NOT

No other devices have the end to end software delivery system of the iPod and now the Iphone. THAT is the point.

As for ur mum, she must be a special lady! Faults and bugs huh? She could get good money working for the X1 team! Let's not exaggerate Rob... :)

before i get a warning for telling you what i think about u, i'll give you the opportunity to apologise regarding ur last comment!!!!

she has all proof of replacement phones from the apple store in california - there's no exageration there my man!! seems like you don't like to accept the fact there there could be faults on the 'oracle that is' the Iphone.

maybe you need to get ur head out ur arse and take a deep breath of some air!! because quite frankly, ur attitude stinks.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links