Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

How Much Does The Manual Gearbox/clutchcost?

Bought an IS200 recently, ex-fleet car (don't ask why, CHEAP!). The manual gearbox is getting clunky now and I can clearly hear noise when changing gears, especially between 1 and 2. The car also judders a bit between 1-2 and I can see the gear lever rattling on 1.

Had a look at the FAQ section and it seems both the gear box and clutch aren't in top condition now. I know Lexus is good at customer services, but still want to know whether it's worth it to change the gearbox and clutch before go to the dealer, and if so, how much would it cost me? Thanks.

That was quick! Thanks a lot for the quick response. I guess this is what I have to live with for buying a ex-fleet car then. Will go to the dealer and ask them to change fluids, don't know whether they'll let me choose what to put in though.

btw, they say that rental cars are usually not properly serviced, which I doubt. The car is 3 years old (they sold it just after the warranty expired, 3000 miles since the last service), I'm thinking about servicing the car in the near future (or should I?), what level of service would you guys suggest I go for?

Also, what are the differences between is200 s, se and sport? My car is S (2005), but the insurance company say it's sport (they say they checked the reg info). The car does have a nice big exhaust tip but the alloy wheel design suggests it's an S.

Here's a thought. Why not go to the dealer and get them to check to see if theres a problem with your gearbox? You may have diagniosed the problem using the FAQ section and are going to get the Tech to change the fluids. They don't need changed until their regular service and if it was an ex-fleet model it would be serviced to warranty standards.

Why dont you get some better fluids for the clutch....i thought the gearbox was a sealed for life box.? but i guess if you can change the gearbox fluid aswell for better quality fluid....i believe most if not all is200 manual gearbox lever`s move about..

• 4 weeks later...

Just commenting on this thread as I'm in the same boat, just bought a IS200 Sport, company car so service history is spot on, but not an enthusiasts car, as it needed a damn good clean and there's some scratches that need sorting.

I've found pretty much the same thing with the gearbox. The stick does react to bumps in the road as I drive along, it's a bit distracting but I'll get used to it.

More of a concern is the awkwardness of second gear. It always clonks/thumps going into gear, and if I don't take my time or press the clutch right into the carpet, then it crunches slightly too. There's not much of a crunch noise, just more of a feel through the lever.

This all sounds quite normal though by the sounds of it.

The thing that confuses me is that I can get a great smooth downshift from 3rd to 2nd, it's just upshifting to 2nd from 1st that's always the problem.

Sounds like a standard "feature" then! I feel reassured that I've not bought a car with a knackered gearbox anyway.

I remember reading years ago that six speed gearboxes can have issues because there's more cogs and synchro's packed into a smaller space, meaning it's harder for the oil to get round everywhere. I had a Hyundai Coupe V6 years ago, that had a six speed box and it had issues with second gear too, but that was more temperature related. When cold it was awkward but once warmed up it was ok. Seems funny how it's always second gear that's most affected. On the Lexus I don't find it gets much better once the car has warmed up.

It's bugging me a bit already - it makes the car feel slow off the mark, because first gear is so low and you have to really take your time getting into second. Meanwhile you've got a Transit van in your rear view mirror, with the driver wondering what the problem is :lol:

Does anyone do second gear pullaways? I might experiment with that and see how happy the car is. A mate had a Merc C-Class Coupe a few years ago and Merc actually recommended that you pull away in second. I was suspicious of that to be honest!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links