Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reverse Parking Sensors

I test drove an IS200 Sport (2004 54 model) with reverse parking sensors.

Were these factory fitted or would they be more likely to be aftermarket?

When I engaged reverse the warning buzzer sounded, then the reverse park sensors beeped continually. Trouble was, there was nothing behind the car. Is that normal on a Lexus?

The way I expected them to work is not beep until they "see" something, then start beeping, with the beeping getting quicker as the object gets closer. That's how other makes of car I've driven work.

Might be buying her tomorrow so would appreciate people's thoughts :)

Scorps is dead right. Its just warning you of being in reverse.

It may have had reversing sensors in as well, but they should behave exactly as you describe - the closer you get, get faster the beeping until continuous. (Different pitch to the reverse gear position obviously)

Maybe I'm getting confused!

On an IS with no reverse parking sensors, I would expect to engage reverse and hear one beep only - is that right?

When I engaged reverse on this car which DID have sensors fitted, I heard the standard single warning beep, then a different warning beep that was continous. This I thought was the parking sensors malfunctioning because it was clear at the back of the car. They look to have been painted over, which I thought might affect them.

It can get confusing - its a bit of a pain when there are reversing sensors but you get used to it. There are two beepy things when you have sensors.

Without parking sensors, you should get a steady continuous beeping with it in reverse. This will beep continuously all the time you are in reverse gear.

With parking sensors, you still get that same steady beeping but you also get a single beep telling you the reversing sensors are active.

Now when something comes up behind you, they start beeping and beep faster as something gets closer. (still with that reverse beeping in the background warning you that you are in reverse - it is a separate beep)

It can get confusing - its a bit of a pain when there are reversing sensors but you get used to it. There are two beepy things when you have sensors.

Without parking sensors, you should get a steady continuous beeping with it in reverse. This will beep continuously all the time you are in reverse gear.

With parking sensors, you still get that same steady beeping but you also get a single beep telling you the reversing sensors are active.

Now when something comes up behind you, they start beeping and beep faster as something gets closer. (still with that reverse beeping in the background warning you that you are in reverse - it is a separate beep)

I see - thank you for the explanation!

Sounds like the sensors might be working properly then. It's a bit mad all this beeping! With parking sensors you get a warning beep in reverse anyway (if the sensors are working) so you don't really need the separate reverse warning buzzer!!!

Can the reverse warning be deactivated?

I see - thank you for the explanation!

Sounds like the sensors might be working properly then. It's a bit mad all this beeping! With parking sensors you get a warning beep in reverse anyway (if the sensors are working) so you don't really need the separate reverse warning buzzer!!!

Can the reverse warning be deactivated?

Yes i believe it can be there are a few people who have done it i believe

I thought that the reverse buzzer could NOT be removed as it is built into the speedo/gearbox?

I've got a 54 plate IS Auto and no beeping on mine...

None at all?

Do you get the reverse warning beep?

Do your parking sensors only beep when something is in close range?

Are they factory fitted or aftermarket ones?

I thought that the reverse buzzer could NOT be removed as it is built into the speedo/gearbox?

Well i believe the speaker is in the rear "C" pillar so you can just sut the wires to stop it.

I've got a 54 plate IS Auto and no beeping on mine...

Thats cause yours is an auto, i dont think they have a reverse warning.

Stav

Oh, what a joy this beep beep post is can't resist joining in.....mines an auto and i get a beep.....beep.....beep....etc every couple of seconds when in reverse. Then when the sensors detect I get another beep..beep..beep (note the two dots between each beep this time), then beepbeepbeep (no dots) then beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, then crash, then b***** !!!

actually it might be more of a peep..peep..peep....hmmmm another vital and interesting question for the forum ??

Thats cause yours is an auto, i dont think they have a reverse warning.

Ah of course it's only needed on the manual because they were worried about people wrong-slotting the supercar-style manual box. Auto doesn't have that problem. Good call :)

Do you need reverse sensors on a car thats about 12 foot long? :whistling:........i dont have them on my 30 foot lorry and i've not hit nothing to date...lol

That's because everyone says "Oh poo, here's Scorps.... clear the decks" :lol: :lol:

You're going to hit me on Sunday now aren't you. :crybaby:

Ha ha....no i just find it funny that people need them. I see people everyday that just seem to lose the ability to move their necks....each to thier own though.

On another note, a woman in my rd hit my car once with her Jag ( a neighbour saw her) she denied it and what made it worse was the fact she had sensors and must of heard the beep in the cabin but chose to ignore it to get into the space thus doing £200 damage.

Im not going on Sunday :crybaby:

Scorps is dead right. Its just warning you of being in reverse.

It may have had reversing sensors in as well, but they should behave exactly as you describe - the closer you get, get faster the beeping until continuous. (Different pitch to the reverse gear position obviously)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links