Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Bmw 7 Series: Technological Developments

Interesting developments in the luxury car sector!

"Dynamic Driving Control (DDC) systems. DDC, operated via a button in the centre console, sets the car up in Comfort, Normal, Sport and Sport+ modes, remapping the threshold for the stability and traction control intervention, the suspension damping, throttle pedal response, gear changes and steering assistance."

The fact that they have put so many parts of the car together under one button is remarkable. The new 740i will actually be a 3.0 litre twin turbo six making 326bhp (which sounds almost spot on to the Supra TT engine). Interesting how they are going to a turbocharged six cylinder engine in a 7 series when luxury cars are usually found with V8s. I wonder how customers will feel knowing their 7 series is turbocharged. What do you guys think??

"The 740i we've driven already has got to be sufficiently quick, however: it'll do 155mph and 0-60mph in 5.9 seconds, yet returning 28.5mpg and 232g/km of carbon dioxide. The 730d returns an even more impressive 39.2mpg and 192g/km".

New 7 series

Interesting developments in the luxury car sector!

"Dynamic Driving Control (DDC) systems. DDC, operated via a button in the centre console, sets the car up in Comfort, Normal, Sport and Sport+ modes, remapping the threshold for the stability and traction control intervention, the suspension damping, throttle pedal response, gear changes and steering assistance."

The fact that they have put so many parts of the car together under one button is remarkable. The new 740i will actually be a 3.0 litre twin turbo six making 326bhp (which sounds almost spot on to the Supra TT engine). Interesting how they are going to a turbocharged six cylinder engine in a 7 series when luxury cars are usually found with V8s. I wonder how customers will feel knowing their 7 series is turbocharged. What do you guys think??

"The 740i we've driven already has got to be sufficiently quick, however: it'll do 155mph and 0-60mph in 5.9 seconds, yet returning 28.5mpg and 232g/km of carbon dioxide. The 730d returns an even more impressive 39.2mpg and 192g/km".

New 7 series

can get all that on an M5 with four more cylinders under the bonnet-

To be honest this is on the wrong website.

I've left my BMW days behind me, So this is not what I want to read.

Lexus were are and BMW we are not.

Move thread please to a section that matters. (Either other marks thread or trash bin) not ls400 section.

To be honest this is on the wrong website.

I've left my BMW days behind me, So this is not what I want to read.

Lexus were are and BMW we are not.

Move thread please to a section that matters. (Either other marks thread or trash bin) not ls400 section.

It's a general post about the technological achievements in the new 7 series which happens to be in the same segment as the LS460, and as such, is a direct rival.

I posted it to show what BMW are doing with their luxury cars to make them better, and perhaps it might generate an interesting discussion as to what Lexus might do to catch up, given that the article refers to the forthcoming 7 series as the new benchmark in the segment.

AFAIK, there are plenty of threads on this site where folks have posted comparisons of Lexus models with models from other marques, and it's provided an interesting read on many occasions.

Beemers are just too common these days, and Beemers with their foglights on are just ALL too common these days!

I'm with Kazi, I'd prefer an LS, either a 460 or (preferably) a 600h. If I won a Beemer in a competition (some hope) it'd be straight in Auto Trader before the dust even had a chance to settle. Not many marques I'd say that about (Ford is another one).

I noticed 3 lexus in 2 minutes in Cambridge this afternoon. 2 GS300 and 1 IS something. "They are common as muck" according to my partner because they are "dirt cheap second hand!"

I add because they are bruury marvelous. I get a lot of stick about the vast gas guzzling barge. The contemporary Lexus styling appears to have followed the BMW styling which I found ugly anyway. Its a shame that the beauty of the LS400 was not the basis of the new benchmark. It is an absolute classic design, timeless and supposedly the most aerodynamic of all.

Interesting info but I can't really understand the point of all that on a luxury car like the 7.......also the switch to a twin turbo 6 cylinder is an odd move too, but perhaps they're trying to change their angle slightly and go for a true performance edge as they really are losing the game against the S-Class in terms of the true luxury car.......

However, all this stuff seems to be pointing to a car that can't be as comfortable so in this sector I'd probably still be leaning towards the S-class or LS - especially as it seems the new 7 looks a lot like the new LS :whistling:

Agree about the shape of the new car(S). I like cars to have completely separate appearances/characters. The new 460 and the LSs look too similar to my eye,....AND look a bit too much like other cars of similar ilk! Is that a Mazda or a Lex? is NOT a thought I'd had until recently! At least SOME makers are bucking the trend. The Citroen C4 doesn't look too bad; and the C6 is definitely not a Beemer!(Though the C5 is identi-car!) Wish Lexus could find their OWN separate style for each model.

Those banana shapey Mercedes have a bit of a wow factor!
I sat in 08 plate c class merc last week - i was very dissapointed with the interior. Very Hallowey cheap looking plastic. Every speck of dust or minute scratch will show up making the interior look very used and abused. On the other hand The exterior styling doesnt look too bad and the sound system is good aswell.

regards

miq

Yes Mercs were always pretty crap inside after about 1980. I had a '78 4.5 SE and a "76 4.5 SEL 6.9 both beautiful inside with the thick cord seats wood everywhere but the vinyl was still poor, it cracked on the top of the dash in the sun too!

I love the Lexus for all the finish being so spot on, except the fact that the rear window needs a wiper and there is a little wind trap that collects dirt at the outside tips of the trunk lid.

I hate it for putting the alternator right down beneath the power steering pump. (Whoever thought of that needs bamboo shoots up their finger nails :huh:

I love the sound system!!!!!!!

Yes Mercs were always pretty crap inside after about 1980. I had a '78 4.5 SE and a "76 4.5 SEL 6.9 both beautiful inside with the thick cord seats wood everywhere but the vinyl was still poor, it cracked on the top of the dash in the sun too!

I love the Lexus for all the finish being so spot on, except the fact that the rear window needs a wiper and there is a little wind trap that collects dirt at the outside tips of the trunk lid.

I hate it for putting the alternator right down beneath the power steering pump. (Whoever thought of that needs bamboo shoots up their finger nails :huh:

I love the sound system!!!!!!!

Love the sound system too! As a big hi-fi fan, this was a major reason to buy an LS!! But THIS pic is probably better sounding? My Dyane-with -horns!!

Hmm, nigh on identical CO2 output and MPG to an IS200, yet propelling a big barge like that to 60 in 5.9 seconds. That's amazingly impressive.

I don't mean to be harsh on the IS200, it's a much older design, and an old engine, but the BMW engine technology is always ahead of the competition, they do a very good job there. Now if they could just get the styling right!

I noticed 3 lexus in 2 minutes in Cambridge this afternoon. 2 GS300 and 1 IS something. "They are common as muck" according to my partner because they are "dirt cheap second hand!"

I guess logic isn't her strong point then... you can't have common second hand cars without them having been around as common new cars - else they wouldn't be around to become second-hand at all!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links