Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bmw owner Turns Black Car To White Using Vinyl

Steve

That's pretty cool. Wonder how that would affect things like the V5 and insurance where you have to state colour. You never know whether it could be used to replace painting - I suspect that might be cheaper than a paint job. Would love to know price!

While many vehicles are painted, the rail industry makes extensive use of vinyls for train liveries. The vehicle is painted in a base coat (white, usually) and the operator’s colours are vinyl transfers which go on for the duration of the franchise. In any event, the paint will usually be re-done every 10-12 years to mend any damage and ensure that the vehicle is rust free for its 35+ year life.

http://www.railway-technology.com/contractors/paints/ssdm/

its nothing new, they have been using full body wraps in germany for years, on the Taxis

in the past few years all the police cars and german military have there vehicles wrapped, it means they can lease normal high selling coloured cars (silver), but have them "coloured" blue for the polizei, or green for the military

it costs around €1200 for a mercedes C class in taxi yellow cream

Interesting, how good can they get the finish? Surely if they start doing metallic type films, then it could become a serious alternative to paint at some point in the future......

the finish is perfect.....

as can be seen, this taxi still has its silver bumpers and mirrors, underneath the vinyl the car is still silver

its possible as there is no company name displayed that this car is still undergoing the process

mercedes_w220_s320cdi_taxi.jpg

the finish is perfect.....
Agreed - my experience in the rail indiustry is that provided the initial base is of good quality, then the vinyl application gives the opportunity to produce really complex designs, but still with a very high quality finish and at a much lower cost than a paint job.

vehicle wrapping has been about for years.

done a bit myself when i worked at another sign company.

got to do some van doors over the weekend.

you just have to use a cast vinyl. normal calendered vinyl has a memory and wants to pull back to its original shape. so it pulls out of the grooves it was formed into.

cast doesnt so it stays the shape that you form it to.

to be honest anyone can have a go at it and get a good finish its just the time it takes.

had a look on youtube. and heres a porsche being done.

to be honest the price depends on where your having it done. average sort of price is about £900 for a full wrap. you can get it cheaper and odviously alot more expensive.

How does it cope when it gets really hot? Wouldn't the vinyl soften in really strong sun and be much more susceptible to damage? Sounds like a great idea though, some little tw@ keys your car and it should be much cheaper to repair...

the vinyl will feel softer but it wont really effect it. it would have to be extremely hot to cause any effects (like a fire)lol.

the panel underneath could still be damadged by a key but it would protect it slightly.

also the finish of the vinyl would not be as good as a painted panel. there wouldnt be as much shine and you would spot it close up that it had been covered in vinyl.

there was an audi tt at a car meet i went to last week that had been covered with a wrapin camo print. it looked really good but there were quite alot of imperfections when you looked closer. it was raising and you could see the original colour in places.

personally i wouldnt do this because you wont get as good effect as you would with a painted panel

yea i have put a lot of graphics on cars and its hard to get it perfect because of the vynil picking up dust ect from static when peeling the backing off, same as window tinting will never get it 100% perfect due to dust in the air ect. have thought about some graphics on the lexus but have to be carefull it looks right and not tacky.

i tinted my own is200 an let me just say they are a bast**d to do the heating element on rear screen is twice the thickness of a normal car plus i had to take the whole inside out at the back. seats, rear pillar interior and then the shelf.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links