Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Diesel Is200?

i know you cant modify a petrol engine to run on diesel but is there another engine that will fit direct in the is200 to make it run on diesel w2ithout too much modifications? this may be a project idea for someone or even myself ;)

The problem with the IS200 as I found out whilst trying to install my ICE is the maze of systems and computers, and that everything is integrated together and is a nightmare to work with. Surely an LPG conversion would be a better way to get good economy from it.

it was just something that crossed my mind as they didnt bother making a diesel is200 and the standard is200 gives such low performance for a petrol engine anyway so thought it might be an idea......LPG is the way forward ;)

I wouldnt say 153bhp is low performance for a 2ltr 10 year old design. The problem for some is that its all top end. BMW only just upped their 2ltr from 150bhp to 170bhp for example.

Indeed, Audi 2 litres of that age are 130hp!

Why you would wanna do this is beyond me! It would cost a fortune for the conversion. You would never make that back in fuel/tax savings, so would be a waste of your time, and money!

so would be a waste of your time, and money!

To be fair, almost all mods are money down the drain. Sometimes money doesn't come into it, it is the satisfaction of doing something different and unique. Although admitedly converting a petrol car into an oil burner isn't my cup of tea.

The integration of the electronics to run a modern common rail or PD diesel would be an absolute nightmare for most.. You would really have to be in to all that kind of stuff.. then would be the issues of mating the engine to the gearbox (Don't forget that the IS200 has quite low gearing so a diesel would have to be geared up... new diff and also there would be the issue of engine mounts, ancillary components, exhaust... It could be done with enough know how, patience and cash, but I'd be inclined to buy one ready made..

I'm old enough to have owned a Rover 3500 producing a huge 155Bhp :whistling:

Would be the only one in the world if you did manage to find a suitable donor engine. The expense would be huge and the time cost even greater though I suspect. Still, from a Jeremy Beadle point of view it would be hilarious to send it into Lexus for a service and watch them try to work it out!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links