Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Empty Have You Had Your Tank?

Parthiban

Not sure how I let it run down so far but this is how my fuel gauge looked when I started my car earlier today..........not actually sure how empty it was as I was in a rush so just stuck £10 worth of fuel in and went, but I've never had the needle that low before.

Not really sure which is more alarming though, the amount of fuel in the tank, or the number of miles I've done on that tank! :crybaby:

332216732.jpg

I once played fuel light bingo on a long motorway trip. The fuel light was on, the needle was bent round the stop, the fuel range had a big fat 0 on it and I did 30 miles. When I did fill up, it must have been running on fumes. This was in my old GS300. It was so empty that when I was filling it up, I was leaning against the rear panel and you could feel the back end of the car getting lower and lower. The fuel filter had a busy day that day with all the muck in the bottom of the tank it must have sucked up.

Thought I was going to run out in my old 300...light on solid for nearly 40 miles in Brittany. When I eventually got fuel it took just under 70 ltr. so I had at least 10 ltr left. I had done an almost unbelievable 470 miles.

Drove mine 25 mines after range said 0 - Still only managed to get 62 litres in the tank before it was full to the brim. So either the tank is not as big as the spec says (85 litres) or the gauge is very pessimistic....

Drove mine 25 mines after range said 0 - Still only managed to get 62 litres in the tank before it was full to the brim. So either the tank is not as big as the spec says (85 litres) or the gauge is very pessimistic....

If it's series 2 GS 430 the tank is 75 ltr.

HOW LOW..!! :shutit: :P should be ok if not stick some fuel injecter cleaner in the tank should clean any bit`s that you sucked up...ive gone approx 20 miles in my IS200 after the light came on..when i filled up the pump stopped and i was on about 58 litres about 12 litres left in the tank.... :unsure:

dont think you can really get much more empty (well short of removing the GUE aswell)

Not a lot left in that Tank, but somebody has left all their tools behind :lol: . Exuse the ignorance, but what's GUE? Thought that was something a bit unsavoury...Golf-Uniform-Echo or 'Go Ugly Early'???

HOW LOW..!! :shutit: :P should be ok if not stick some fuel injecter cleaner in the tank should clean any bit`s that you sucked up...ive gone approx 20 miles in my IS200 after the light came on..when i filled up the pump stopped and i was on about 58 litres about 12 litres left in the tank.... :unsure:

Oh never thought of that, everything appears fine at the mo but I'll keep an eye on it :)

Do often run it till there's only about 5 litres in the tank, but the needle never gets as low as I had it today - poss only 2-3 ltrs left :o

@ Mat: What is that a picture of? :blink:

dont think you can really get much more empty (well short of removing the GUE aswell)

what's GUE?

Generator Unit Engine (right hand corner of the engine compartment....3 cylinder 6 piston engine, with a generator bolted on the end)

I normally run it down till the needle sits on the stop. Or when the car starts to cut power, then its time to fill up. Had it a few times when its ran out as I pull into the fore court, just role upto the pump and put the handbrake on. Can never be a*sed to stop and fill up with petrol unless I have too, got better things to be doing :)

Not sure how I let it run down so far but this is how my fuel gauge looked when I started my car earlier today..........not actually sure how empty it was as I was in a rush so just stuck £10 worth of fuel in and went, but I've never had the needle that low before.

Not really sure which is more alarming though, the amount of fuel in the tank, or the number of miles I've done on that tank! :crybaby:

332216732.jpg

your ok there, you have until the needle reaches half way down the E

In my wifes old car (merc A-class) she was constantly driving on fumes, no good telling her she could end up stranded some day.... eventually it cost me 700 euro as the fuel filter had blocked up and burned out the fuel pump .... women :(

I normally run it down till the needle sits on the stop. Or when the car starts to cut power, then its time to fill up. Had it a few times when its ran out as I pull into the fore court, just role upto the pump and put the handbrake on. Can never be a*sed to stop and fill up with petrol unless I have too, got better things to be doing :)

You can fill your car up a lot of times before you waste as much time as a breakdown will take...

332216732.jpg

292 miles? I can get more than that out of mine - with an engine over twice the size!! Though the tank is a little bigger on the GS...

In my wifes old car (merc A-class) she was constantly driving on fumes, no good telling her she could end up stranded some day.... eventually it cost me 700 euro as the fuel filter had blocked up and burned out the fuel pump .... women :(

Obviously I don't normally run it this empty, but I often run it down to the empty line..............how low is it safe to run the tank to prevent sucking too much rubbish into the filter?

292 miles? I can get more than that out of mine - with an engine over twice the size!! Though the tank is a little bigger on the GS...

Yeah I know that was pretty bad..........I've had to do a lot of trips in and out of central london which always kills the fuel consumption........however on normal town use, I still only get about 320 miles on about 65 litres of fuel which is still only about 22mpg :shutit:

You don't buy the IS200 auto for fuel economy that's for sure, the 3ltr Z4 and CLS350 regularly get over 25mpg around town making the IS look a bit silly :crybaby:

Not driving around a town you won't :winky:

Not driving around a town you won't :winky:

Ermmm... :blush: sometimes. Usually get about 280 if it's just town mileage. Worked it out last time I filled up, had averaged 18mpg over the 3/4 of a tank on the gauge - filled up early as I had a 5p/litre voucher from Tesco that needed using.

But since it took a month to use that 3/4 of a tank, I don't actually care really. If i was a cabbie or something it would be horrendous, but I don't drive as much as I used to in my last job!

You don't buy the IS200 auto for fuel economy that's for sure, the 3ltr Z4 and CLS350 regularly get over 25mpg around town making the IS look a bit silly :crybaby:

Ooh - do you have a CLS? I love the look of those things, especially in black... What do you think of it?

The first tankfull I put in my Lexus was 218 miles! (15mpg!) The last £20 saw me around 70 miles, which works out about the same. These are extreme examples though, it's often much better.

The lowest it's been is 32 miles with the light on. Preying my way down the motorway, counting the miles until services, cruising down hills in neutral!

The lowest it's been is 32 miles with the light on. Preying my way down the motorway, counting the miles until services, cruising down hills in neutral!

Rolling along in neutral uses more fuel than just lifting your foot off the throttle and keeping the engine in gear. Fuel is not required by the engine if it is being turned by the wheels, so fuel is cut altogether by modern ECUs. However if you are in neutral the engine requires fuel to keep running so overall consumption rises.

Rolling along in neutral uses more fuel than just lifting your foot off the throttle and keeping the engine in gear. Fuel is not required by the engine if it is being turned by the wheels, so fuel is cut altogether by modern ECUs. However if you are in neutral the engine requires fuel to keep running so overall consumption rises.

True..... while the ignition is switched on! :whistling:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links