Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Resealing Headlights After Spraying

Cous3

I'm just after some info or advice on how those of you who split your headlights to spray them up, then resealed the headlights?

I've read quite a few topics on here with the help of the "Search" facility, but what I want to know is months/years done the line are they still sealed?

Which method did you use (re-heat the lights and use the old glue or clear out the old glue and use a silicone sealant?

Anything you would do different if doing it again?

Oh one more thing, both these headlights have the dreaded broken top plastic brackets (the one that is more prominant).....anyone have this problem, if so how did you get around it? Does it affect use of the headlights (although the headlight is still secured by the 2 x 10mm bolts and 1 top mount bracket).

Much appreciated guys.

Keith

Thanks Wozza.............I've split them using the oven to heat them with no problems, removed that aweful orange part, they are being rubbed down and sprayed as I speak. It was just the resealing I want more info on before I attempt to stick them back together.

I've seen that YouTube video with the American guy who puts them back in the oven to soften the glue, takes them out when hot and then uses 4 pairs of mole grips to to put pressure on the light until the glue cools down and seals again. But is this the best method?

Keith

P.Lindblom..........I totally missed that thread, sorry mate. What a great looking car, excellent pics of how you went about doing it.......perfect, thanks for the link. I'm not doing the halo's just spraying them but this thread is really useful and very clear.

84Stoney.......Again thanks you for this link.

Cheers guys.

Keith

When i did mine i scraped all the old glue stuff out and used a new clear silicone to reseal them, i have not had any problems a year on, no steaming up or moisture inside them! :P

Jason :P

Yeh you can do this. But in theory, you dont have to. the glue in there should seal as well as it ever did....if you get it right!

Not got round to doing mine yet, but meaning to.

I'm just after some info or advice on how those of you who split your headlights to spray them up, then resealed the headlights?

I've read quite a few topics on here with the help of the "Search" facility, but what I want to know is months/years done the line are they still sealed?

Which method did you use (re-heat the lights and use the old glue or clear out the old glue and use a silicone sealant?

Anything you would do different if doing it again?

Oh one more thing, both these headlights have the dreaded broken top plastic brackets (the one that is more prominant).....anyone have this problem, if so how did you get around it? Does it affect use of the headlights (although the headlight is still secured by the 2 x 10mm bolts and 1 top mount bracket).

Much appreciated guys.

Keith

hi keith

my suggestion would be to glue and brace the upper brackets back together (presuming the broken bits were in the box)otherwise the beam may "jump" as your driving. maybe even use fibreglass- not pretty but a bit of sanding and some paint should do the trick. let me know if ya want me to take this up with pacelforce mate.

alex

Thanks for the replies guys.

Alex, yeah it's a shame but that's Parcel-Farce for you. Not much point taking it up with them as I've already split and sprayed the lights, no photos of how they arrived, not to worry mate not your fault.

I was going to use a metal staple made of thin stainless steel to give strength, two part epoxy to join, then cover the joint with Aves epoxy sculpt, that should be even stronger than the original plastic.

Keith

Still not put them back together yet........I was waiting for some lens cleaning compound to come from the States (via ebay), as soon as I get that and use it outside and in, then I'll reseal them.

Watch this space!!!!

Keith

Awesome, I have a week off coming up and shall be taking my JDM's apart to clean the inside of the lense and re-sealing them as condensation was getting in and has made them look shoddy :(. I'm right in thinking this could be done easily within a day? Shall be removing the brows this weekend providing the weather is decent.

Well I resealed the headlights today buy putting them back in the oven @ 100 degrees for 15 mins, checking them every couple of mins. They went back okay, I used mole grips to push them together in places that were a little stubborn. Today just for good measure I used Unibond black all purpose silicon sealant around the edges, I don't think there was any real need for it but thought I'd do it anyway.

I also repaired the broken top bracket on each light, I used a small stainless steel staple shaped piece of metal rod, then tacked the joint with two part epoxy and covered it with a resin putty. Seems strong enough, however I'm sure just the lower of the two brackets is sufficient to hold the light.

These lights were just for me to practice on before I take mine off and do them, they'll go on my Lex whilst I take my time to do mine.......I'll put some pics up later.

Keith

Pics work for me...........If you're viewing from work it maybe restricted.

The chrome rings are just masked off areas of the inside silver reflector, but they make the headlights look much better than just spraying the whole thing black.

Here are the inserts masked and primed after being sanded with wet & dry to take of the chrome:

335721410.jpg

And here they are sprayed Satin Black with the masking tape removed to leave the chrome rings:

335721168.jpg

Keith

Thanks Purvesh, but I just copied what the US IS300 boys do.......been wanting to do this for the past 18 months. As I said these were just for practice and to go on the car until I have done my originals, I'll probably sell these when I'm finished. I'll get some pics on the car maybe next week as I'm strapped for time at the moment.

Keith

top job man, i was thinking of doing the exact same thing but maybe with halo's.

was even thinking of getting some to practice on, seeing how these have turned out i might just do exactly what you did with these.

if not give us a shout when you want rid :zee:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links