Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

i have spoken to my dealer today about the bootlid problem.i am referring to where it is making contact with the bumper as you shut it and consequently wearing the paint away on both the bumper and the bootlid.the dealer has told me that the problem is that the bootlid bushes are allowing too much travel when closing thus causing the bootlid to make contact with the bumper.lexus are working on a cure at the moment and warranty cover for this problem has been extended to five years.

Mine has been in twice for re-spray and will no doubt be going in again....

Chips the lip of the boot as well as scratching the bumper....

lexus are working on a cure at the moment and warranty cover for this problem has been extended to five years.
Still seeking "The Pursuit of Perfection"... Don't you just love Lexus... :unsure:

Mine is going to a new home next week after two years of trying to get the problem resolved. I must leave a note in the car for the new owner about this. Any good ideas where to leave it so that the dealer doesn't find it and mislay it.

Imagine two years to resolve a micky mouse problem like this, Pathetic isn't it.

It is a design problem caused by the "want" for very tight shut lines...Mine had this problem too. They adjusted the boot so that it looked like was not shut totally, to see if that cured it, only then would they respray it. I asked if that was the official fix, and they said yes...I put some masking tape o the bits that were "hitting"...and guess what? It still was! I was dead worried about the boot become a pond...

So at that point (and I'm talking about early July 2008) there was no pukka fix as far as my dealership knew it, but there were loads of cars with the problem...no wonder they are allowing a 5 year promise on it!

• 4 months later...

has anyone with this problem found a fix? a dealer that has actually fixed it? got a mate with same problem..took it to a dealership and they looked at 5 cars on the forecourt..all had same problems. chips bottom of bootlid and top of rear bumper...when the bumper is closed there is sufficient gap...must be when it is in the process of being shut it makes contact...

anyone shed more info on this?

Thing is if the shut line is so tight there is no way they can fix it, as if you're one of those people who slams the boot it will always go down and hit the top of the bumper. Have they redesigned the bumpers on the 09 facelift cars to prevent this?

The only real solution would be to motorise the bootlid so that it gently closes itself at the touch of a button, had a play with it on the LS the other day and it was seriously cool :whistling:

hate to sound daft but can someone upload picture showing this

as i have looked at mine and i dont understand where it catches the bumper ??

Ta

Matt

looking at the bootlid the chaffing is evident below the L in lexus and below the d in is 220d at the curve point on the external corners of the lid,this corresponds to the bumper when closed.this is evident on every IS mk 2 that i have driven to date regardless of age.

hate to sound daft but can someone upload picture showing this

as i have looked at mine and i dont understand where it catches the bumper ??

Matt

looking at the bootlid the chaffing is evident below the L in lexus and below the d in is 220d at the curve point on the external corners of the lid,this corresponds to the bumper when closed.this is evident on every IS mk 2 that i have driven to date regardless of age.

Ta dgman

ah ha no i understand i will have a look at mine

but then again i have had two rear bumpers fitted in 6 months due to people wanting to get a closer look

at my rear parking camera :crybaby: 1 Honda civic reversed in to me then he had the nerve to say to me

stupid car this is (civic) you cannot see out the rear screen T :tsktsk: er i said

then a Ford focus classic shunt at the M6 junc 3 island aggggggggghhhh

all sorted now but i will check it out as both bumpers were done by Lexus dealer

• 4 weeks later...

Oh no, just when I thought I was after getting a good one, the dreaded boot lid meets the bumper strikes again. I'm absolutely teed off with this problem, I had it on my 06 car and now its just started on my 08. Can I refuse the car over it as they dont have a fix after 3 years ?

Oh no, just when I thought I was after getting a good one, the dreaded boot lid meets the bumper strikes again. I'm absolutely teed off with this problem, I had it on my 06 car and now its just started on my 08. Can I refuse the car over it as they dont have a fix after 3 years ?
first thing is to ask the dealer,what the f..k is going on,then find the email address for the chief engineer in japan and ask him,what the f..k is going on.other than that i'm stumped.

first thing is to ask the dealer,what the f..k is going on,then find the email address for the chief engineer in japan and ask him,what the f..k is going on.other than that i'm stumped.

Not sure how many other people maybe in the same situation as me, but just looked at mine and there is a slight mark on the boot lid itself and not much on the bumper part.... now from what it seams there are a lot of you have had it "fixed" but not already do you think its better to get on the case ... more fuel to the fire and all that or hang back a bit then hit em in the last month of waruntee (november this year) ??

Sounds like they've accepted there's a problem there like with the CD players on the early mk1 IS (that was also extended to 5 years)

Has anyone seen whether it's different on the facelifted IS?

now from what it seams there are a lot of you have had it "fixed"

Boot was fixed and problem back again also noticed a return of the pitted alloy syndrome.. Hopefully will get the back end resprayed again... :offtopic: and at the same time can supply some new alloys, 6 alloys in 18 months shame they don't change the tyres to go with them.. :duh:

• 3 weeks later...

Can people please tell me which dealers they use, because I went to my local dealer (croydon) who want to charge me to respray the damage caused by the bootlid scratching the bumper :tsktsk: . I have had my 07 car from new, and they said it is not covered under warranty. Thanks.

Can people please tell me which dealers they use, because I went to my local dealer (croydon) who want to charge me to respray the damage caused by the bootlid scratching the bumper :tsktsk: . I have had my 07 car from new, and they said it is not covered under warranty. Thanks.
it may be worth speaking to the dealer again and asking for written confirmation from lex gb as to the warranty position .as you will have read,my dealer quoted five years.

it may be worth speaking to the dealer again and asking for written confirmation from lex gb as to the warranty position .as you will have read,my dealer quoted five years.

I spoke to various people at the dealer and at their bodyshop, and they all said mine is the first car they had seen with this problem, which I find unbelievable. I then phoned Lexus GB and got the same response. They had never heard of this problem before, and the warranty had definitely not been extended to five years. I will phone again and ask for written confirmation. It would be helpful if you could tell me which dealer you used, so at least I can get my car fixed. Thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links