Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Water Pump Change

I'm planning on getting my cambelt changed soon. My car has only done 51K miles, but is 9 years old.

Now to change the cambelt, as I understand it all the belts have to come off and the coolant needs to be drained. So I am wondering whether to get the water pump changed at the same time. Toyota have quoted me £130-odd for a new water pump (for the part).

I can't see any signs of leakage on the existing pump, so I'm wondering how long they typically last, and/or if I can get a proper water pump significantly cheaper anywhere else ? At the moment I can't see how it's worth spending that sort of money replacing something that seems to be working ok.

You might as well as get the waterpump changed mate, as it will be easier to access when the timing belt, idler and tensioner are being changed. If you need to change the waterpump later, then you will have to remove the timing belt to get access to the waterpump- what I am trying to say is it makes sense to change the waterpump with the timing belt- save some future labour costs. If you do change the waterpump, make sure the by-pass pipe and 2 'o' rings are replaced as well, this is a common area where coolant leakage can occur.

If funds are might atm, then just have the timing belt, idler and tenisioner changed, leave the waterpump- pays your money and take your chances.

I wouldnt take the risk - get it done at the same time.......its going to be a long time before you need another cambelt and if the pump fails in the meantime you'll be kicking yourself.....

Thanks for the replies so far. You've been kind of echoing my thinking really, i.e. that although it's some extra expense now, which is not ideal, if my water pump fails in 20K miles then I'll be kicking myself because I'll have a lot of labour cost to change it, whereas the labour cost to bung it in with the cambelt change will be negligible.

If you do change the waterpump, make sure the by-pass pipe and 2 'o' rings are replaced as well, this is a common area where coolant leakage can occur.

I had a look at the online service manual and couldn't see anything about this. All it shows is replacing the water pump as a unit, along with a gasket (I'm assuming a new pump comes with a new gasket ?). Couldn't see anything about o-rings or a by-pass pipe, where do these fit in ?

I was told the water pump should last the life of the car, but I bought one when I paid for the belts for my 60k service, and told the garage that if it looks ok don't change the pump, and it was fine, so I took it back and got my £117 back, and then found out my water pump had been replaced under warranty at 40k anyway

Random question but is this your first cambelt change? How come it hasn't been done already?

And should I have had my waterpump replaced when I had my cambelt done a few months ago?

Random question but is this your first cambelt change? How come it hasn't been done already?

It is the car's first cambelt change I believe, yes. I've only had the car for a short time. I assume that the previous owner was probably operating under the instructions in the original service booklet, i.e. 100K miles or 10 years.

I have already had the cambelt visually checked by Lexus, who say that it looked ok, but I'm going to change it anyway just to be on the safe side.

That's interesting, but the changing point is 100K or 6 years (which is why I just had mine done).............and it's subsequently been changed now apparently to 60K or 6 years (there was a lot of debate around this recently!)

I'm surprised it's not been changed for so long, but I'm glad it hasn't failed :)

That's interesting, but the changing point is 100K or 6 years (which is why I just had mine done).............and it's subsequently been changed now apparently to 60K or 6 years (there was a lot of debate around this recently!)

The interval printed in my service booklet in the car is 100K or 10 years (not 6). So I think that's why it wasn't changed before, even though the interval now is 60K or 6 years as you say.

Thanks for the replies so far. You've been kind of echoing my thinking really, i.e. that although it's some extra expense now, which is not ideal, if my water pump fails in 20K miles then I'll be kicking myself because I'll have a lot of labour cost to change it, whereas the labour cost to bung it in with the cambelt change will be negligible.
If you do change the waterpump, make sure the by-pass pipe and 2 'o' rings are replaced as well, this is a common area where coolant leakage can occur.

I had a look at the online service manual and couldn't see anything about this. All it shows is replacing the water pump as a unit, along with a gasket (I'm assuming a new pump comes with a new gasket ?). Couldn't see anything about o-rings or a by-pass pipe, where do these fit in ?

I mentioned the by-pass pipe and 'o' rings because when I changed my waterpump, the by-pass pipe was also leaking, the rubber 'o' rings in the by-pass pipe can harden/perish over time and can cause coolant to leak. My car had done 100k when I replaced the waterpump, your by pass pipe/'o' rings might be ok. Just thought as the waterpump maybe replaced its worth replacing the by-pass pipe and 'o' rings as well. The by-pass pipe is located on the side/above the waterpump.

Hi Mate,

I too had my water pump replaced at 70K when I had all the belts and tensioners done, also a good excuse to have a coolant flush too.

However, when my mechanic showed me the state of the pump, it was immaculate and he said it would happily lasted longer, but again for peace of mind you may as well change it. Must say they are built better with metal impellers inside rather then plastic ones I had on the Water pump of my old Golf Vr6...

I'd say change it, mine was done at the same time as the Timing Belt.

Poor Jason_l was unemployed so funds were mega tight when he had his Timing Belt replaced, so couldn't justify the extra outlay.

Unfortunately his Water pump failed sometime after and cost a lot to do.

It's a gamble depending on your funds mate. Who is doing the work for you ?

Have you tried cheaptoyotaparts.co.uk for a price ? Ask for Chris and say DJ Wozza sent ya.

(he'll tripple his prices :lol: nah only kiding)

It's a gamble depending on your funds mate. Who is doing the work for you ?

Have you tried cheaptoyotaparts.co.uk for a price ? Ask for Chris and say DJ Wozza sent ya.

(he'll tripple his prices :lol: nah only kiding)

I was thinking of getting ToyotaGT to do the work. I haven't tried the site you mention yet but will do, thanks.

get a pump from a motor factors its half the price and you are getting the same part but without the toyota box and stamp on the part - otherwise it is the same part

Is it really the same part and not just some cheap copy ? No matter which motor factors you might use ? Just feel slightly nervous about this route.

why nervous?? u dont think toyota makes the parts themselves do you? the partsare farmed out, u will find the same places makes parts for the brand and also aftermarket but without the brand name - take the oil filters for instance toyota OEM and the trd filter - its exactly the same but in a different box and one is painted red.

for the pump i think it was a blue print part boxed item BTW

why nervous?? u dont think toyota makes the parts themselves do you? the partsare farmed out, u will find the same places makes parts for the brand and also aftermarket but without the brand name - take the oil filters for instance toyota OEM and the trd filter - its exactly the same but in a different box and one is painted red.

for the pump i think it was a blue print part boxed item BTW

Most items from factors "are" copies,TRD you will probably find is owned by TMC.

Toyota would not allow any old company to use brand name ie "Toyota" Racing Development

A lot of factor parts are ******* quality,you get what you pay for "most" of the time

Yes some items are made for Toyota for their vehicles most commonly exhaust & friction parts (pads,clutches etc)

But then again you dont really know which they are especially when there are lots of friction material manufaturers

• 1 month later...

Just a little follow-up on this. As I've already posted elsewhere, I got my new water pump fitted yesterday, along with new bypass pipe and o-rings, when I got my cam belt changed.

Despite having earlier written :

I can't see any signs of leakage on the existing pump ...

on inspecting the old pump, this is what I can now see :

IMG_2340.jpg

So the old pump already had a small leak underneath (where you can see remains of the pink coolant), which I didn't notice when I looked at it from the top.

I'm very glad now that I changed it. Thanks to all who helped me choose the sensible course of action here ! :D

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

I see you paid £102 for your water pump, I also need to change my cambelt and was looking online for water pumps, I found the following two on eBay, I just wanted to make sure they were correct and not a dodgy part?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEXUS-IS200-Water-pu...A1%7C240%3A1318 (item no 260338422609)

and

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEXUS-IS-200-WATER-P...A1%7C240%3A1318 (item no 180315908115)

Thanks guys,

Anil

I'm planning on getting my cambelt changed soon. My car has only done 51K miles, but is 9 years old.

Now to change the cambelt, as I understand it all the belts have to come off and the coolant needs to be drained. So I am wondering whether to get the water pump changed at the same time. Toyota have quoted me £130-odd for a new water pump (for the part).

I can't see any signs of leakage on the existing pump, so I'm wondering how long they typically last, and/or if I can get a proper water pump significantly cheaper anywhere else ? At the moment I can't see how it's worth spending that sort of money replacing something that seems to be working ok.

i have a water pump. its not original lexus but its meant to be for the lexus bought in mistake and its been lying there every since.

Hi guys,

I see you paid £102 for your water pump, I also need to change my cambelt and was looking online for water pumps, I found the following two on Ebay, I just wanted to make sure they were correct and not a dodgy part?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEXUS-IS200-Water-pu...A1%7C240%3A1318 (item no 260338422609)

and

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEXUS-IS-200-WATER-P...A1%7C240%3A1318 (item no 180315908115)

Thanks guys,

Anil

the waterpump i have is bought by the same seller of the second link so shoul dbe the same as that

thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links