Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Second Hand Is200 Purchase

Hi everyone, joined the forum today and I must say this is a well friendly and helpful place.

I've read the forum over carefully and listed what I think are some things to look over when buying a second hand is200 (I've yet to buy one myself).

Additions/corrections/comments welcome!

--

+ wheel balance / alignment - what do the tires look like when this is wrong?

+ paint chipping - around which areas are stone chips most likely? Seems like supaguarding your car doesn't make much diffence here.

+ alloy pitting / corrosion - what 'is' pitting actually? :blink:

+ air conditioning problems - smelly air-con and leaks. How do you know if it's leaking?

+ CD player problems - doesn't play CDs, eats them etc.

+ random vibrations and noises behind the dash etc.

--

Checking for a solid car history is important.. all service stamps by Lexus etc.

Would getting an AA man in to inspect the car be worth it? My guess is yes, but surely there's better alternatives?

Okay enough from me for now.. what have I missed? :)

smelly aircon.........nothing hereto worry you, just needs a clean

wheel balancing.........look at the wear on the front tyres, should be even

paint chipping.......mostly the front edges of the car

cd player.......showing ERROR 3

alloy pitting........this is pretty obvious, a rough or discouloured section of the wheel

dash noises......only really noticable when cold......all it is is the cables vibrating, they soften up when warm, and dont vibrate :geek:

the only real worrys are the wheels, balancing,stereo and paint, if your buying from a dealer get them to sort these problems

+ air conditioning problems - smelly air-con and leaks. How do you know if it's leaking?

Flip the bonnet and have a look for a small aluminium box about the size of a box of matches at the front of the car just to the right of the radiator. There will be a grey knurled plastic screw and a small window. This should be clear if the aircon is gassed correctly. Also press the aircon button inside the car and the light should be a steady glow.

The biggest worry I have is because I want to save money and buy from private, that I buy an IS200 and find faults later :crybaby:

Any more tips from experience 2nd hand buyers here? :)

Also I wanted to ask, out of the three IS models, people seem to go for the SE. I can see why the bottom version is avoided, but what's wrong with the Sport?

if you are buying private, then definitely get an AA inspection because it is worth it

i think there is quite an even spread between SE and Sport owners, personally i only bought an SE because i wanted an Auto.

Its basically because the extras you get on the Sport over the SE are:

Tinted windows (B-pillar backwards)

Limited slip rear differential

Stainless steel pedals

Two tone steering wheel (black and grey)

Rear lip spoiler

The newer cars have lowered suspension (not too sure)

One insurance group higher (i think)

Therefore, if you don't really need any of these things, you can save a little and buy the SE

I've recently (feb) bought an Is200 sport.

Did exactly as you're doing now - started talking to people, test driving cars (went for about 4 test drives just to confirm I wanted a lexus) and found it VERY HELPFUL. Firstly I want to say this is the correct way to go about it !!

The main decision I had was whether to go private or from a dealer. Main advantages from a dealer.....1yrs extra warranty, refurbed alloys (bare in mind they're prone to pitting), dent/scratch removal (bare in mind Lexus' thin paint makes them prone to scratches) and a damn good service.

You expect to pay about £1k over the price of an identical model if from a dealer vs private, though I was lucky and snapped up a 2000W Is200sport in granite sky with 40k from a dealer for £13500.

Oh...sat nav is the big difference also. I wanted it, but only as a toy. In the end I didn't get it because you're looking at about £1k more on identical cars (consequently I was looking at 50-60kmilers that was looming near the expensive 60k service) and I found I was restricting the choice I had of cars (i.e not many granite sky around in price range i wanted with sat nav).

I personally went the dealer route.

Consider if your car is to be under 3yrs, then it will have a manufacturers warranty left anyway. If over 3 yrs (mine was almost exactly 3yrs old) then prob wise to go via a dealer to get their yrs warranty. Mine's come in useful already (dented alloy on delivery, cd got error 3(a common error).

Alot depends on how much you're looking to spend also, and whether you want a mint 13000miler, or if you're after a work horse that's done 80k.

From my experience of looking, there are VERY FEW "bad" IS200's for sale. The "traditional" errors that they get have been mentioned above, so you know what to look for. I think it's just a case of keep looking and wait for the right car to come up for you (private or dealer).

Good luck, and if you need any more info, just keep asking - that's what's so great about this place !!!!

Tony

Oh....almost forgot. Regarding sport vs se. I said to myself i wanted an SE - wasn't bothered by the advantages (listed above) of a sport especially when you're looking at more money for a car which is essentially the same (i realise everyone will now list LSD, tints, pedals etc). BUT......the right car that came up just happened to be a sport. So I bought it. And I am VERY happy that I got a sport in the end. So, though it is very much personal opinion and taste, my suggestion would be go for a sport. You'll probably find it will be easier to sell on as well (though i dont know that - only a thought !?)

Boy I write alot !! Sorry if I've bored you all !!

if your intrested i can put you in touch with a friend of mine that can source you

ex british forces tax free cars

sell for £17,500

6 months old

zero damage

7000 miles tops

these are all UK supplied cars, with a log book, the reason the cars are so cheap, is that they were bought tax free, and are being swapped for another tax free car, so the purchase price only needs covering.

they come with all the usuall lexus warrentys.

i am forces aswell, i have owned 3 tax free cars.

Tony goose will be able to vouch the legitamacy of these cars.

just trying to help people get a 6 month old is200 sport for almost £3000 less than dealer prices for identical cars.

these cars normally go to dealers, and are then marked up

Talking of faults I wonder if anyone could give me suggestion/advice about these three things:

1. My gear stick/box rattles in a very annoying manner when in 6th gear.

2. The air coming into the car stinks for ages after the actual a/c has been turned off

3. Something in the sun roof permantly rattles unless the cover is closed.

I know I have to take it to the dealer, but are these common problems?

1. My gear stick/box rattles in a very annoying manner when in 6th gear.

Take the gaiter out and inspect the inside etc

2. The air coming into the car stinks for ages after the actual a/c has been turned off

change your air con filter / look at ur filter behind the glove box / get a AC cleaner spray (available from Halfords for about £15)

3. Something in the sun roof permantly rattles unless the cover is closed.

tighten up any screws etc in ur sun roof??

These are my answers to your problems, u can ignore them if u like 'cos I don't even own an IS200! Haha..

No seriously, use the search button or something :hehe:

(ps. the search in this forum is awful!)

I've recently (feb) bought an Is200 sport.

tony_hetherington you're the man :) thanks

Your advice is really appreciated.

I've found some real bargains from private guys..

I dunno I really want to get it from a dealer but when I see Sport's in mint condition with 20-30K on the clock going for around £13K I soon enough forget dealers!

And then there's the bargaining which may mean as low as £12.5K :)

Okay how about this scenario - buying a 3 year old IS200 with ~30K on the clock from private. Surely you don't need to worry about CD errors and alloys pitting etc. if it's lasted 3 years okay..?

The advantages of going to a dealer is for all the reasons above but

most can be changed/replaced under warranty if under 3yrs old:

wheels/hubs due to pitting

callipers?heard this on a earlier thread(most paint em)

discs if warped

sat nav probs(yes they do go wrong)

audio/disc player

even worn tyres(i did)

yes you can pay a grand less or more.....personally i wanted an

approved used LEXUS and all that goes with it

Pete :D :D

For starters, the older IS has a different grille, plus it only has two nozzles on each washer jet. Also I believe the stereo unit was slightly different. I know there are other differences, but.... nope, it's gone! That's senility for ya :duh:

yeah the new grille is far better than the old one (3 slats instead of 4 and they got rid of the silly metallic finish)

also:

the 3 washer nozzles

smoked rear lights

dvd navigation (if you want it)

stereo that no longer eats cds

better quality materials on dash (also they removed that silly grey bit across the dash)

better quality leather on seats and also grey or beige piping depending on interior colour

different locking mechanism (although i think the old one was better)

both front seats are electric

curtain airbags

i think EBD (electronic brake-force distribution) was only added to the later cars

basically there are a lot of differences which make the whole package a lot better

but all depends how much you want to spend!

Just my two penneth:

I could have bought an ex fleet Is200 from where I work, for £3K less than a dealership. same age, just higher milage and no lexus service history.

However, I decided to go for a lexus dealership:

Just after receiving the motor (A w 2000 reg), there was vibration at braking from meduim speed: Warped brake discs. Had them replaced along with new pads under warrenty. Now, would a cheaper private sale have given you that?

Furthermore, someone just rear ended me last week (was fun seeing my lexus is various bits of disarray at the repair centre today). Got given the same car as a curteousy car whilst mine is off the road - I don't think your insurance company (unless it's that funky one off the telly) would have done that - It would of ended up being a corsa!

Anyway - Your choice, but there is a little more protection if you plump for a dealer (and I got free matts as well!).

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links