Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Removing Ground In Dirt From Leather

floggit

Hello , Have been on this site for about a year but have stayed in the ls400 forum .Have just looked around this forum and was amazed how much more to car cleaning there actually is !!! lots of products ive never heard of lol.

Here's my question .. Ive grey leather in my ls and it has ground in fine dirt (black streaks) in the creases of the front seats. How do i best tackle this?

Have tried Autoglym leather cleaner and cream and they look brighter but still streaked with dirt. Are they past help ?

Also will have to learn more about paint finish products as i only use Autoglym super resin and xtra gloss.

There are probably better products, What is a clay bar???

Thanks for any help.

steve.

Hello , Have been on this site for about a year but have stayed in the ls400 forum .Have just looked around this forum and was amazed how much more to car cleaning there actually is !!! lots of products ive never heard of lol.

Here's my question .. Ive grey leather in my ls and it has ground in fine dirt (black streaks) in the creases of the front seats. How do i best tackle this?

Have tried autoglym leather cleaner and cream and they look brighter but still streaked with dirt. Are they past help ?

Also will have to learn more about paint finish products as i only use autoglym super resin and xtra gloss.

There are probably better products, What is a clay bar???

Thanks for any help.

steve.

Saddle soap????????

I find that the forums at Detailing World are fantastic for this sort of thing (e.g. they have a specific sub-forum on cleaning interiors). Beware, if you start checking it out though, you'll probably end up spending loads of money on detailing products like I did ! :lol:

They've got lots of handy guides over there, e.g. this one on basic good washing practice.

A clay bar is something that you can use to remove impurities from your paintwork, things like metallic particles that will have settled in there over time (e.g. industrial fallout), general grit etc. An example is Bilt-Hamber's Auto-clay, which has the advantage compared to most clay bars that you can use water as a lubricant (most others need specific products as lubricant). Auto-clay soft is reputedly very easy to work with.

Thanks stevie, i think this is a area of car ownership im goin to have to get more involved in.

just been watchin vids on utube about some zaino product, wet c ar alomost instantly dries . im gona have to look into that !

steve

i had a leather cleaning guy come to my house some years ago and he recommended the use of johnsons baby shampoo to clean the leather then feed after,so that's the way i do it.

with the clay bar you can use your car shampoo as a lubricant on cool panels out of the sun.

After I bought mine, I went to town on the leather because it appeared reasonably darker and dirtier than it should have. I simply took a light scourer (one on the back side of a sponge) and water with a little bit of detergent and tested it on a small bit. Then went and did the whole lot and I was simply amazed at what came out. The leather ended up looking like new, truly showroom stuff.

thanks guys, a m8 had some saddle soap so going to try that 2moro, then if needed try the other suggestions in ascending order of price lol

Please Steve, do not borrow the saddle soap - it's named as such for very obvious reasons.

Think for a moment, about the difference between the leather used for a saddle, and the environment it's likely to be used in, and that of the car's seating/interior - they're a world apart.

Spend a bit of money doing it properly and safely via LTT Solutions or Furniture Clinc - both have the right products to do the job without risk.

thanks guys, a m8 had some saddle soap so going to try that 2moro, then if needed try the other suggestions in ascending order of price lol

Please Steve, do not borrow the saddle soap - it's named as such for very obvious reasons.

Think for a moment, about the difference between the leather used for a saddle, and the environment it's likely to be used in, and that of the car's seating/interior - they're a world apart.

Spend a bit of money doing it properly and safely via LTT Solutions or Furniture Clinc - both have the right products to do the job without risk.

How lucky... just logged on and read your post pj, was about to use on car in about 5 mins !. will check out sites you recomend . Like i said im new to proper car detailing and have lots to learn .

thanks

steve

bought some stuff from furniture clinic..............will let you know how it goes
i use furniture clinic products on the car and in house,i would recommend them.

So you'd recommend FC products rather than baby shampoo, or am I getting my wires crossed?

Slightly confused.

i had a leather cleaning guy come to my house some years ago and he recommended the use of johnsons baby shampoo to clean the leather then feed after,so that's the way i do it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links