Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Tv Recorders

Paradroid

With the start of the new Top Gear series I was looking into buying a digital TV recorder add-on for my computer. My main desktop upstairs is an iMac, so I was looking at the Elgato EyeTV range, which looks great.

One thing put me off though, I saw a user review on a site somewhere that says they just don't work with the supplied aerial and you have to use a proper coax cable to a roof antenna. This is going to be a pain because my iMac is in the back bedroom, and there is no aerial socket in there :(

Has anyone had any success using these types of device with the supplied aerial? if not what are you using to record digital terrestrial TV? I won't be getting cable/satellite so want a low cost solution :)

I use my Archos DVR with a 60gb hard drive built in and 5" screen, great bit of kit and can be taken with you on trips so you can watch your recorded programs, music, dvd recordings,pictures,

Had it now for a few years and never had any problems and you can set it to record direct from the tv on a weekly/monthly basis :D

With the start of the new Top Gear series I was looking into buying a digital TV recorder add-on for my computer. My main desktop upstairs is an iMac, so I was looking at the Elgato EyeTV range, which looks great.

One thing put me off though, I saw a user review on a site somewhere that says they just don't work with the supplied aerial and you have to use a proper coax cable to a roof antenna. This is going to be a pain because my iMac is in the back bedroom, and there is no aerial socket in there :(

Has anyone had any success using these types of device with the supplied aerial? if not what are you using to record digital terrestrial TV? I won't be getting cable/satellite so want a low cost solution :)

Doesn't this depend almost entirely on the quality and strength of the signal at your location? We live in the shadow of a hill and there is no way that we can get a decent signal without a proper external antenna on a mast high above the house.

I think there are maps that show the general signal strength by area and you might be able to get your local supplier to do a signal test for you if you are intending to buy from him.

Doesn't this depend almost entirely on the quality and strength of the signal at your location? We live in the shadow of a hill and there is no way that we can get a decent signal without a proper external antenna on a mast high above the house.

Yep, I think so. If you have a weak-ish Freeview signal and have a proper roof-top aerial for your main TV, then it's pretty unlikely some tiny aerial on a computer's digital TV card/device is going to pick up anything worthwhile.

Do you have an existing TV picking up Freeview ? If so, what sort of aerial are you using ?

Yeah I've got two IDTV's in the house, both connected to the roof aerial and we have 100% - all channels and no breakup.

It's just the Mac itself being in the wrong room where there's no wall socket.

You're right about the signal/reception of the area being key, but the guy who posted the user review (on amazon I think) said he lived in an area with a strong signal and still couldn't get any channels with the supplied aerial.

Maybe I should just try one, I can get the base model for £39.95, if the worst comes to the worst I'll have to try using a better portable aerial, or try and get a socket fitted for the roof aerial in the room. I just didn't want to get into all of that!

Yeah, I've similarly seen some reviews that say those mini aerials are absolutely hopeless. If you're prepared to get one and try it and see, then I guess that will tell you ! Or if you know anyone who's got one you can borrow ? Or if you can get one from a company that will accept it as a return (for refund) if you don't like it (i.e. if after you try it you're not happy) ?

Good advice - in fact I've just ordered one off amazon!!!!!

I panicked a bit thinking TG starts on Sunday, so I'd better get my skates on. I'll try it with the supplied aerials and let you know how I get on :)

If the worst comes to the worst I'll just have to get a Mac Mini for the living room and do my recording on that!! I've always wanted to do that anyway :)

The following are available from Bargin Crazy, not quite what you are after but might appeal to someone reading this thread.

Sony DVPNS78 - Dvd Player With Hdmi £55

Sony RDR-HXD870 Dvd & Video Freeview Recorder £179

Daewoo DH6100P Dvd Recorder £55

Samsung Dvd-Sh853M Dvd Recorder With Freeview & Hdmi £155

I don't work for them and have to admit I have never bought from them

Well I bought an Elgato EyeTV DTT Deluxe, it was £60 delivered, and I'm blown away.

So far it's working a treat with just a small telescopic aerial which is hidden behind my iMac, and as I type now I've got a little TV window in the bottom corner of my screen. I really wasn't expecting much with the supplied aerials and thought it would need a proper roof aerial connection which would have been a right pain.

Tried recording, it works a treat, and am currently testing exporting to a H264 file to see how well that goes.

Only trouble is I might have to buy a copy of Toast to be able to rip my shows to DVD and watch them downstairs...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links