Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Improving My Engine Performance.....options?

Ali

Hello guys...

I'm a 'modification virgin'!! I want to improve my engine performance and wanted advice on what I should start with. I came accross this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEXUS-Performance-Mo...A1%7C240%3A1318

What do you think of this chip?

All/any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Waste of pennys do not buy mate :)

Go and buy yourself a pint instead - that chip is a waste of money!

What sort of gains are you after as the IS really can cost a lot of money to start tuning to any serious level unfortunately.

I'd guess the easiest start would be an exhaust but you'd be looking at prob a couple of hundred there?

There are the supercharger and turbo kits but you're looking at a couple of thousand there really upwards!

DONT BUY IT!

Its basically a con. its a small resistor costing about 10p in a box. It just fools the car into thinking the air outside is really cold so the ecu pumps more fuel in.

I'd start with an induction kit, or exhaust. or even something simple like a K&N panel filter.

Stav

Thanks guys.....the old saying...if it sounds too good to be tru......!!

I've heard a few people mention IK20 spark plugs.....do they make a difference?

Basically I've got around £200 to spend.....i'm not looking for major improvements......i have an is200 auto and the pick up from zero is poor.

I'm shocked how many he has sold to be fair but 90% of them have feedback less then 20 as if he makes new accounts pretends to buy them from himself an leaves fake feedback to make himself look good...lol

some of the feedback i read

i didt think it would make my car that fast poperdoc ( 9 ) 10-Dec-08 17:51

PEUGEOT Performance Module--Chip +20BHP 106,206,306,GTI (#260322908696

a 10p 4.7K sold to me for £2.99. What an idiot I am! Should have known better. linziandjohn ( 148) 11-Dec-08 11:21

ROVER Performance Module (Chip) +20BHP 25,45,75,200,400 (#260314049992)

Good ebayer, good postage time but its a resistor not a chip as in title of item terry-and-jade ( 12) 11-Dec-08 18:47

RENAULT Performance Module (Chip) +20BHP CLIO, MEGANE (#260314050398)

there the pos ones lol

DONT BUY IT!

Its basically a con. its a small resistor costing about 10p in a box. It just fools the car into thinking the air outside is really cold so the ecu pumps more fuel in.

I'd start with an induction kit, or exhaust. or even something simple like a K&N panel filter.

Stav

Excuse my ignorance stav, but how do an induction kit and K&N panel filter work, and are they things that i could fit myself easily?

Cheers

Daft as it sounds reset your ECU by removing the ETCS and EFI fuses from the fusebox in the engine bay for a minute and see if that makes any difference?

Also if the auto gearbox oil hasn't been changed in a long time you may find that the most noticable results would be obtained by a full flush of the gearbox oil?

A negative one

chip was a waste of time. suppose get wot u pay for tho darrenmiller69 ( 0 ) 28-Nov-08 09:42

Reply by per4manceuk (30-Nov-08 09:42):

u received a module wiv full instruction 1st class delivery! thats wot u paid 4!

HONDA Performance Module (Chip) +20BHP CIVIC, PRELUDE (#260300101316)

^^^sums it up really lol

Daft as it sounds reset your ECU by removing the ETCS and EFI fuses from the fusebox in the engine bay for a minute and see if that makes any difference?

Also if the auto gearbox oil hasn't been changed in a long time you may find that the most noticable results would be obtained by a full flush of the gearbox oil?

Will try resetting tomorrow.

Not sure if gearbox oil has been replaced.........is it something any mechanic should be able to do or do i need to go to a 'gearbox centre'?

No matter who does it for you...it must be the correct Toyota Fluid mate, that is vital,

so don't listen to anyone saying otherwise. Plus the Genuine stuff is about £45 for 5 litres,

may need a touch more than 5 litres too.

Induction kit or K&N panel filter, and a new set of plugs (if they haven't been changed for a while)

will help, but £200 ain't a lot for going faster in the IS200 mate.

I think that the K&N filter is well worth the money. It won't need replacing in the future (just cleaning, it pretty much lasts forever). It basically will let your engine breathe more easily because it lets more air through. It only takes a couple of minutes to fit.

However, it's not really going to make your car go faster (perhaps a 1-2bhp increase, something like that ?). It may well slightly improve your fuel economy and it makes a very slightly more "growly" sort of engine note.

I fitted IK20 plugs since my plugs needed changing anyway. I didn't really notice any change in performance though.

Word of advice mate, anything on e-bay that says, save fuel, performance chip, electric supercharger and so on IGNOR.

You won't really get any noticable results until you start spending big money.

Fair enough.

Give me your opinion....what would you start with, apart from the K&N filter, which i will be getting?

Word of advice mate, anything on e-bay that says, save fuel, performance chip, electric supercharger and so on IGNOR.

You won't really get any noticable results until you start spending big money.

Fair enough.

Give me your opinion....what would you start with, apart from the K&N filter, which i will be getting?

get a panel filter, some new plugs and a front strut brace. You will not improve an N/A performance wise alot on bolt ons unless you go SC or turbo so make it breathe and handle well

Think if it was me doing it again, I'd start with the K+N filter then start on the handling side of it? lowering springs, arbs, braces, So at least it will go round corners a bit better and maybe an exhaust after the handling side is sorted :) Which is basicaly what i've done to mine apart from mine having the induction kit fitted and not the K+N now :)

If you haven't done so already, take your car to WIM (Wheels in Motion) to get the geometry setup. IMHO that's where you should start. It will be £100 (approx) very well spent. The OEM geometry settings (camber/castor etc) are wrong on the IS200 and produce poor handling and premature tyre wear.

I'd also suggest HIDs. A very inexpensive mod that you'll make a lot of use of, unless you only ever drive in the daylight.

K&N filter is also great. Doesn't cost much at all and will produce some small benefits.

ARBs will make an absolutely *massive* improvement to handling by making you go round corners a whole lot better - essentially that's letting you go faster, more safely, with the same power as you've already got (i.e. you can use more of the power while you're not going in a straight line).

If you haven't done so already, take your car to WIM (Wheels in Motion) to get the geometry setup. IMHO that's where you should start. It will be £100 (approx) very well spent. The OEM geometry settings (camber/castor etc) are wrong on the IS200 and produce poor handling and premature tyre wear.

I'd also suggest HIDs. A very inexpensive mod that you'll make a lot of use of, unless you only ever drive in the daylight.

K&N filter is also great. Doesn't cost much at all and will produce some small benefits.

ARBs will make an absolutely *massive* improvement to handling by making you go round corners a whole lot better - essentially that's letting you go faster, more safely, with the same power as you've already got (i.e. you can use more of the power while you're not going in a straight line).

Thanks a lot guys really....some great advice there. Please excuse my ignorance.....could you kindly define 'HIDs' and 'ARBs' for me!

Ta!

HID's are a better type of bulb for your headlights,

ARB's are Anti Roll Bars, you already have then on the car to stop it leaning so much when you corner, but you can put better, stiffer ones on to improve it even more.

• 2 weeks later...
im about to do a 1jz twin turbo in mine ... do that! lots of power, and ... lots of money!!

That will be mega though, hope it goes well :)

One of the lads on here from over your way did the 2JZ conversion and it looks the nuts!

Welcome to LOC by the way!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links