Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cambelt Failure? Anyone?

Trying to get a reasoning behind (apart from pure money grabbing) for main dealers to now recommend a cambelt change at 60K rather then the specified 100K in the schedule.

Anyone had a failure so far?

Best regards David

Trying to get a reasoning behind (apart from pure money grabbing) for main dealers to now recommend a cambelt change at 60K rather then the specified 100K in the schedule.

Best regards David

It isn't the main dealers who recommend these things it's the manufacturers.

Best regards David

If you're keeping the car for a few more years, it makes sense not to take the risk. The Dealers are only recommending, whether you take it up or not is entirely up to you.

I agree as above but also take into account that most stress to the belt occurs during starting and stopping the engine so if you do a lot of short trips this needs to be considered,the same applies to driving style.

Remember a cam belt replacement is always cheaper than a new engine which is basically the end result if the belt does snap.

cambelts are to be changed at these intervals because they have been tested by lexus to extremes and have found that these are the limits the belts should be taken to.

the belt is under constant stress when driving not just at start up, most belts tend to fail when the vehilce is being drivin. after time the belt will perish due to changes in temp and moisture conditions, this is apparant with cracks forming in the belt itself. also the other components that work with the belt will wear- tensioner and idle pulleys. when these wear the can cause the belt to be guided wrong, pushing the belt against the block or cambelt covers. this in turns wear the belt down from 32mm to as small as 14mm (which i found on an IS200 still running!!!!). the pulleys will also wear the belt down against the running side and the teeth side, as the are constantly comming into contact and then off again. this wears the belt thin and wears the teeth down. this can lead to belt jump if the teeth are that badly worn.

i hope this helps you understand the importance of the cambelt changing intervals, and why if you dont get it changed, you should at least get it checked.

k33rjd........In the RX Mk1 service schedule handbook it clearly stipulates 100K miles for cambelt chnage NOT 60K......

Dave1........When I actually spoke to my main dealer and pointed out its 100K in the handbook he said they (meaning his dealership) recommended 60K and admitted it was officially scheduled by Lexus UK for 100K....now unless LUK have changed the schedule and not told the dealers, it is still 100K.

K33rjd........Yes I know all about cambelt durability, I work in an Advanced Research and Engineering facility, we test our belts to twice the rated life cycle (with added abuse such as dust ingress and oil/water mist).

I was just trying to obtain some evidence as to why the dealer now recommends shorter changes other than purely monetary.

BTW, it isn't Lexus who test the belts it is TMC :whistling: :winky:

Best regards David

some lexus centers recommend the 60k due to the ammount of belts they change at this interval, they are checked at 60k and every service up to 100k and changed accordingly. they would prefer to change before it goes bang. if ur unhappy with it being changed, then just ask for it to be visually checked.

cheers rich.

Dave1........When I actually spoke to my main dealer and pointed out its 100K in the handbook he said they (meaning his dealership) recommended 60K and admitted it was officially scheduled by Lexus UK for 100K....now unless LUK have changed the schedule and not told the dealers, it is still 100K.

Best regards David

I seemed to remember the recommended cambelt change period changing for one of the Lexus models so I emailed Lexus GB and enquired on the recommendation of Lexus for a Series 1 RX300 SE (03 plate). Their reply was as follows:

Thank you for your email to Lexus

The cambelt on your Lexus can be changed between 60,000 - 100,000 miles, this would depend on the condition of the belt.

At anytime of it is suggested that the belt is changed, you can seek a second opinion from another Lexus centre if you do not agree with the advise your are initially given.

I trust this information is of use to you and if we can be of any further assistance please feel free to contact me, using one of the methods shown below.

Yours sincerely,

Tino Williams

Lexus Customer Account Advisor

Phone: 0845 278 8888

Lexus GB seem to not want to commit to the 100k miles that is in your service book or to the alternative of 60k miles!

The sooner you can do it the better really, it cuts the chances of potential failure drastically!

Mine has just been changed at 35,000 as it made sense to do it during the major service the car has just had :)

Best regards David

I seemed to remember the recommended cambelt change period changing for one of the Lexus models so I emailed Lexus GB and enquired on the recommendation of Lexus for a Series 1 RX300 SE (03 plate). Their reply was as follows:

Thank you for your email to Lexus

The cambelt on your Lexus can be changed between 60,000 - 100,000 miles, this would depend on the condition of the belt.

At anytime of it is suggested that the belt is changed, you can seek a second opinion from another Lexus centre if you do not agree with the advise your are initially given.

I trust this information is of use to you and if we can be of any further assistance please feel free to contact me, using one of the methods shown below.

Yours sincerely,

Tino Williams

Lexus Customer Account Advisor

Phone: 0845 278 8888

Lexus GB seem to not want to commit to the 100k miles that is in your service book or to the alternative of 60k miles!

:lol: Exactly the non commital answer I would have expected.......

:lol: Exactly the non commital answer I would have expected.......

And it is the right answer because we all drive and use our cars in different ways.

The answer could not be clearer: The belt should be checked at regular intervals after 59k miles and replaced if necessary, depending on the wear on the belt and associated parts, and the attitude to risk of the owner. Lexus cannot make the decision for us by stating a specific mileage - a car that is driven regularly in the Alps cannot have the same belt change point as one that spends most its life cruising at 80MPH on French auto roads, or one that averages 15MPH doing school runs and shopping trips in congested parts of Britain's major cities.

Might have been nice to specify this "inspection" method in the service book rather than the "black and white" 100K interval.....but of course then the cost of ownership on paper rises in comparison to competitors.......

I'm not having a dig at the gold plated service we all receive from Lexus :rolleyes: just it might be nice to see some clear facts rather than the judgement call by the dealers we all love and trust :lol:

BTW the belts are tested in "worse case" scenarios......this includes cold climate, accelerated wear (dust and abrasion conditions) and forced stress duty cycles......we do not test for 100K in ideal conditions, that would be service suicide.....

Anway you correct....the answer is perfectly clear, they aren't sure! :lol:

Best regards David

Might have been nice to specify this "inspection" method in the service book rather than the "black and white" 100K interval.....but of course then the cost of ownership on paper rises in comparison to competitors.......

Anway you correct....the answer is perfectly clear, they aren't sure! :lol:

Best regards David

One thing which does appear clear is that if you have a Lexus Approved Used warranty or a Lexus extended warranty, then if the car has been serviced in line with Lexus requirements, then if the cambelt failed at say 90k miles then the resulting repair costs would be covered as your book does clearly state 100k miles for belt renewal assuming it was also within the prescribed time limits also.

When buying our RX (MKII) I queried the cam belt issue and was given the assurance that Lexus standby their 100K/10yr change interval - I don't like belts and much prefer chains :P

As I chose to extend our Lexus Warranty, it doesn't really matter to me if the belt snaps - as I'm doing exactly what Lexus have recommended and printed in their service book. I wouldn't perhaps be so brave if I didn't have their Warranty ;)

Belts are just evil :P I am thinking of going back to BMW tho' ...

When buying our RX (MKII) I queried the cam belt issue and was given the assurance that Lexus standby their 100K/10yr change interval - I don't like belts and much prefer chains :P

Funnily enough I rang a main dealer (the nearest now my local LexMD went bust) this morning and was told around £680 for the 60K service....when I asked knowingly that I am glad it included the cambelt changing at that price I was told "oh no, the cam belt on the RX is not due to be changed until 100K"......I queried that and after chatting for a bit when asked if it was inspected I was told "no, no need until 100K" :shutit: so there you go.........LexusGB and the dealers still reading off a different page....quite literally! :lol:

Best regards David

PS....Yes.....chains are better, long live chains...and they do! :whistling:

Funnily enough I rang a main dealer (the nearest now my local LexMD went bust) this morning and was told around £680 for the 60K service....when I asked knowingly that I am glad it included the cambelt changing at that price I was told "oh no, the cam belt on the RX is not due to be changed until 100K"......I queried that and after chatting for a bit when asked if it was inspected I was told "no, no need until 100K" :shutit: so there you go.........LexusGB and the dealers still reading off a different page....quite literally! :lol:

Best regards David

PS....Yes.....chains are better, long live chains...and they do! :whistling:

you guys need the IS we all have chains :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links