Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

New Lexus Gs300 Owner - Questions!

Hello all!

I pick up a 2005 GS300 SE this Friday. I looked at all sorts of cars before choosing the GS, from BMW, Audi and even a VW Phaeton. The Lexus just grabbed me and I think it has to do with the rarity of seeing these things on the road, the drive, gearbox, interior etc. 5 series BMWs and Audi are everywhere and I hate the interior of the BM, horrid.

Anyway I digress.

My questions are, pretty lame but I am wondering:

In the GS I'm picking up it has an electric blind-

Q:was this a standard fit or option? (SE)

The car has been at this dealers for months, not used, driven around the forecourt from time to time, but has been stood throughout winter.

Q: How should I treat this car as it has been stood for at least 5 months, it will get a service.

The Battery was flat when I went to see it but now charged.

Q: Any problems here?

I noticed that the dash on the drivers side was 'squeaky'. The dealer said it is probably as it's cold in the car. The noise did settle and only apparent over pot holes.

Q: If it is a problem is it a cheap(ish) easy fix?

I hope you knowable types out there can answer these questions!

I'm looking forward to being a Lexus owner and member of this owners club site!!!!

Welcome to LOC :)

I'd guess that if the car was sat for a long time the tyres may need checking to make sure there are no flat spots?

There should be no problems in regards to the Battery, as long as it holds it's charge now that should be fine!

As for the noises - a lot of people complain about the noises their IS' make and the dealer take the dash apart to fit some kits from Lexus or just random bits of felt which seem to help - may be worth having a word to see if they can address it before you pick it up?

Welcome to LOC :)

I'd guess that if the car was sat for a long time the tyres may need checking to make sure there are no flat spots?

There should be no problems in regards to the battery, as long as it holds it's charge now that should be fine!

As for the noises - a lot of people complain about the noises their IS' make and the dealer take the dash apart to fit some kits from Lexus or just random bits of felt which seem to help - may be worth having a word to see if they can address it before you pick it up?

Hi,

Thanks for the info!

I shall give Lexus Sheffield a ring tomorrow and see what they suggest about squeaks. Do Lexus dealers try to help even though the car would be out of warranty?

The supplying dealer may have indeed solved the problem themselves so I should wait and see when I pick it up Friday, no harm in giving Lexus a ring though!

Ah that's a good point just seen you're out of warranty - is this car not coming from a Lexus dealer then as they should cover it under theirs?

I'd imagine if it's out of warranty they'll just charge an hour or twos labour but to be fair I really don't know on that so you'd be best asking them for exact details?

I would be tempted to walk away from this one if you still can. If not then get the car checked over back to front, top to bottom for any faults and ensure that they are fully rectified. The garage are responsible for any defect other than wear/tear for 6 months.

Ditto Aido's comments - Gary and Chris at Sheffield will look after you! They have serviced my GS from new and I have NEVER had any quibbles over their quality of service or their prefessionalism...... (I'll say that because I KNOW Gary reads these posts and my GS is due for a service next month !!!!! :winky: )

And in answer to your question re rear Sun Blind.... YES, its comes as standard.

The Ed.

HI,

Thanks for your comments guys!

I don't want to walk away from this, amazing, car. I've spent an age looking for the right one and this, in my mind, is the best available for price, history, mileage- 22k! I have had a through check and it is only a squeak from the dash that's only apparent over bumps. The car isn't from Lexus but from a very reputable dealer in Sheffield.

I shall look forward to having dealings with Gary & Chris! It sounds like it will make a nice change than dealing with Vauxhall and Renault.

My first Lexus! Roll on Friday!

Hello!

just a quick update.

This car is FANTASTIC! I can't help but have a stupid grin on my face when I'm driving it, is this normal? I love it when people look at it, quite rare I suppose, like the guy at the fuel station staring at it while he filled his Passat up!

It's so smooth & quiet, there are no squeaks from the dash as stated in the first post I wrote, they seemed to have disappeared, it's whisper quiet. It is simply wonderful and to top it off I took out a new insurance policy, going from an old Laguna group 9 ins to a group 16 ins has seen an increase of only £120, how does that work? I guess Lexus drivers don't crash as much as Renault drivers!

Super car, love it.

Hello!

just a quick update.

This car is FANTASTIC! I can't help but have a stupid grin on my face when I'm driving it, is this normal? I love it when people look at it, quite rare I suppose, like the guy at the fuel station staring at it while he filled his Passat up!

It's so smooth & quiet, there are no squeaks from the dash as stated in the first post I wrote, they seemed to have disappeared, it's whisper quiet. It is simply wonderful and to top it off I took out a new insurance policy, going from an old Laguna group 9 ins to a group 16 ins has seen an increase of only £120, how does that work? I guess Lexus drivers don't crash as much as Renault drivers!

Super car, love it.

Do u still love it 2day in the snow :whistling:

Hello!

just a quick update.

Super car, love it.

Do u still love it 2day in the snow :whistling:

Funny you should ask that!

I switched the auto box to snow mode and a funny thing happened. I've a slight incline to my drive and when going up it, slowly, the car didn't stop! It seemed like the rear wheels griped, must have sensed a slipping wheel, and dug in moving me up the incline. Thing is the car kept moving, I had the brakes on hard, ASB kicked in and I put the hand brake on too. i stopped millimetres from a wall! This really supprised me, how does the 'snow mode' work?

Does it sense a slide and add traction? It was probably doing what it should have been but in future i'll not use this feature!

I switched the auto box to snow mode and a funny thing happened. I've a slight incline to my drive and when going up it, slowly, the car didn't stop! It seemed like the rear wheels griped, must have sensed a slipping wheel, and dug in moving me up the incline. Thing is the car kept moving, I had the brakes on hard, ASB kicked in and I put the hand brake on too. i stopped millimetres from a wall! This really supprised me, how does the 'snow mode' work?

Does it sense a slide and add traction? It was probably doing what it should have been but in future i'll not use this feature!

It should not operate like that. If you take your foot off the accelerator and apply the brakes then the car should behave as you would expect it to in any of the g/box modes. I would get that checked as it is potentially very dangerous, especially had it been on the open road. It would maybe have stopped if you had moved into neutral, although you shouldn't need to do that.

Glad you are liking the car mate, mine still gives me a grin even after 30 months of ownership.

Am a bit worried about the car not stopping (as mentioned above). Snow mode in the IS200 reduces

throttle response greatly. I know on some other manufacturers cars it starts off the auto box in 3rd gear

to stop too much power getting to the wheels. Unsure exactly of the operation on the GS.

Was there a posibility of the throttle pedal being stuck under the carpet ? Happened to me once in my IS200

and it scared the crap outta me & my passenger !!

Glad you are liking the car mate, mine still gives me a grin even after 30 months of ownership.

Am a bit worried about the car not stopping (as mentioned above). Snow mode in the IS200 reduces

throttle response greatly. I know on some other manufacturers cars it starts off the auto box in 3rd gear

to stop too much power getting to the wheels. Unsure exactly of the operation on the GS.

Was there a posibility of the throttle pedal being stuck under the carpet ? Happened to me once in my IS200

and it scared the crap outta me & my passenger !!

I've been thinking about this. I'm sure now that I must have entered into a (very slow) slide due to me applying the brakes too hard. With the car sliding the abs came on when I re-applied the brakes. I have only had the car a few days so I'm not used to it, scared the crap out of me though.

I must say, I was only doing about 2mph, so I wasn't dangerously out of control!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links