Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Modifying A Standard Is200

superted

If i started with an exhaust for anything between £200 an £450 could you let me know wot types are best.

Ive been in contact with my insurance guys and it seems i can only get a new exhaust cos they dont insure for any other mods... Doh! So instead of losing money on cancellation fees thats all i would like to do. Any help would be appreciated.

If i started with an exhaust for anything between £200 an £450 could you let me know wot types are best.

Ive been in contact with my insurance guys and it seems i can only get a new exhaust cos they dont insure for any other mods... Doh! So instead of losing money on cancellation fees thats all i would like to do. Any help would be appreciated.

That’s strange…

What have you said to them you wanted to do with the car? I have never been turned away from modifying a car, except for nitrous, and that’s for my track day car that gets used once in a while.

If that’s the case, and you want to modify your car I would prob look and changing companies, or wait until renewal and change then as there are plenty of insurers out there that cover modified cars.

Welcome BTW !!!!

Welcome to the club Ted :)

You might be best keeping your eye out on eBay or on here for a second hand exhaust as it's hard (or very expensive) to pick up new ones now!

Blueflame may be the easiest option as you can get one all made up?

Yh insurance is a pain, Im with Direct Line and there will not insure me for any modification cause im under 25

This is why it's best to be old :D

I'm 30 and got my insurance down to £530 for mine with all the mods!

You may be able to switch insurance companies even before renewal, to one that is more mod-friendly. Most will give you a proportion of your premium back if you cancel (phone and ask if that's an option, and if so how much you'll get back, so you can see if it's worth it). Sky Insurance are a trader on here and are very mod-friendly (e.g. they insure them like-for-like).

As for the exhaust, what sort of thing are you looking for ? Something subtle or something loud ? Just something that looks nice ?

Yh insurance is a pain, Im with Direct Line and there will not insure me for any modification cause im under 25

Direct Line suck !!!

I find getting insurance from them is more hassle than it’s worth, and they have always been expensive too.

There are insurance companies that will cover Under 25's for modifications. As Steve said, Sky are very good and cover like for like, which I have found to be very expensive or not possible in the past from other insurers.

You may be able to switch insurance companies even before renewal, to one that is more mod-friendly. Most will give you a proportion of your premium back if you cancel (phone and ask if that's an option, and if so how much you'll get back, so you can see if it's worth it). Sky Insurance are a trader on here and are very mod-friendly (e.g. they insure them like-for-like).

As for the exhaust, what sort of thing are you looking for ? Something subtle or something loud ? Just something that looks nice ?

Something loud but not to mental would be good.

I made the mistake of going for cheap insurance without checking to see if they were mod friendly. I'm with swift at the mo and only paying £258 fully comp. I've since found HSBC would of insured me with any 6 mods for £320. From wot i can see that could be a turbo, supercharger, nos, remapping, suspension and an exhaust!! They give a huge list of mods an you jus pick 6. Sure i must of got it wrong but i'm guna check it out anyway.

I've since found HSBC would of insured me with any 6 mods for £320. From wot i can see that could be a turbo, supercharger, nos, remapping, suspension and an exhaust!! They give a huge list of mods an you jus pick 6. Sure i must of got it wrong but i'm guna check it out anyway.

I very much doubt that.

Usually when you start modifying the engine for huge power Bhp gains like turbo, or superchargers, the cost to insure could be high. Smaller things like exhausts, manifolds, suspension, and wheels generally cost less, and you will struggle to find insurance for nitrous.

If you were told you can only have 6 mods on your car, I would still keep on looking else where for another insurance company, as you will soon fit 6 mods and then want more, but won’t be able to.

On the main page, Sky Insurance have a section where you can post up any questions you have. This will then give you an idea of what to ask your current insurer or any other companies you are interested in.

Let us know how you get on !

Welcome to the club Ted :)

You might be best keeping your eye out on eBay or on here for a second hand exhaust as it's hard (or very expensive) to pick up new ones now!

Blueflame may be the easiest option as you can get one all made up?

Cheers for that mate. think i will try that exhaust. On a unrelated note, can you tell me wot dump valves do for performance apart from sounding good??

They only work with forced induction cars mate.

but they work *i think* by basically dumping the air to stop the turbo stalling.

If you think about it, when you let off the throttle the inlet shuts but the tubo is still spinning pushing air towards the inlet. This builds up until it would back up and cause the turbo to stop suddenly and stall. causing both damage to the bearings and meaning you'll have to spin the turbo right up from stanstill causing more lag.

The dump valve just basically lets the air escape so that it doesnt stall, the turbo keeps spinning so when you come back on the gas its spools up quickly.

hope that helps

Stav

yeah, basically when you lift of the throttle the turbo keeps the pressure up, but it can't enter the engine because the throttle is shut. so instead, the pressure is vented to the atmosphere (VTA) after the preset spring pressure is reached in the dump valve itself. as stav said, without it, it can basically act as a brake on the turbo itself.

i think you can also get re-circulating systems?? and there are also blow-off valves which are slightly different i think, lol.

Yeah some cars account for the air that doesn't make it through the throttle body to be recirced so when you dump that out to atmosphere it can cause the car to run rich on gearchanges etc or when you let off, I'm going to try hooking mine up to recirc soon to see how much difference there is, it was definitely better in recirc than it is in dump to atmosphere on mine.

Saabs use the Resurc system, which is disapointing as you don't hear that lovely sound as a load of air is dumped in your engine bay!!!

Oh Ollie, My car is being done over this next couple of weeks, I am keping the current insurance whilst the work is being done, then I will then cancel Tesco insurance and give you a call the day before I pick up the Lex with all its lovely new power so you can cover it when I pick it back up. Well thats one plan anyway!!!

The 1.8T golfs use the recirc as well. they dont like it if you put and atmospheric on either, the engine throws up fault codes as it messes with the MAF sensor.

though HKS do the EIDS chip which cures this.

Stav

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links