Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What's Needed?

Rob's Lexx

Hi guys,

wondered if you guys could give me a brief run down of what would be needed to enable full safe use of a 1G-FE engine running about 350bhp and 300ish ft/lbs of torque??

the power delivery isn't the issue, its all the bits to go with it - clutch, transmission, fuelling, gearbox, etc.

i know internals would be a must, but what else would deffo have to be uprated??

cheers in advance.

rob

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the tuning potential of the 1G-FE I'm guessing that many people would say that it would be more worthwhile to do a supra conversion or something along those lines as if I'm correct the 1G-FE would need a lot of work done to it internally as well as other bits for it to be capable of that sorta power. Not sure if theres any bits available for it either tbh which would enable you to push it that far.

Hi guys,

wondered if you guys could give me a brief run down of what would be needed to enable full safe use of a 1G-FE engine running about 350bhp and 300ish ft/lbs of torque??

the power delivery isn't the issue, its all the bits to go with it - clutch, transmission, fuelling, gearbox, etc.

i know internals would be a must, but what else would deffo have to be uprated??

cheers in advance.

rob

With it only being 2L engine, for me i would only be going for 280bhp tops, as you would have a nice everyday car with lots of get-up and go, but as they say, each to there own :D

Hi guys,

cheers in advance.

rob

With it only being 2L engine, for me i would only be going for 280bhp tops, as you would have a nice everyday car with lots of get-up and go, but as they say, each to there own :D

yes mate, know what ur saying there. those are the figures i've got in mind but its not a definitive goalpost or anything. i was originally thinking around 300 with similar torque. just wanting to get the most bang per buck so to speak, but still keep it nice for everyday drive.

Hi guys,

cheers in advance.

rob

yes mate, know what ur saying there. those are the figures i've got in mind but its not a definitive goalpost or anything. i was originally thinking around 300 with similar torque. just wanting to get the most bang per buck so to speak, but still keep it nice for everyday drive.

Rob, ive driven 3 is200 turbo's, 2 running about 250ish bhp and Sam's thats 300bhp, the 2 with the smaller turbo would be the one i would of/go for, and im sure that Dave Ellen's old is200 turbo was very good on fuel too, the only other way to have nice drive would be to try the twin turbo set-up mate.

looking at going down the same road myself, i know the 1GTE rods can take 300bhp but i need to do more research on pistons, also need to speak to sam and ask what fuel and oil pump he is using.

lots of questions just need to start finding answers.

will report back when i know more.

Well Dave's still has the standard gear box and a helix clutch i think. dont know how long they'll last though.

As for power, well you need the rods and pistons first, either custom or 1ggte ones, bigger injectors, then something to put the boost in, either a charger or turbo.

then an ecu to control it all. Emanage ultimate, FCON, or full standalone.

Stav

Just buy a Supra TT mate, it'll probably cost less than any engine transplant - plus don't forget - the IS is not a heavy car at the back and you may experience traction issues. Saying that the Yanks seem to do ok in their high powered IS3's.

Also can't remember the reason for it now but Clawley's car was crabbing with a lot of power which TDi had to sort out by making all custom mounts.

Nah I think it was to do with the amount of torque going thru mate, way beyond the spec of what the IS is designed to handle, think he had the Supe diff put on his car and it was ripping the standard brackets to shreds!

Here we go, it was the "standard rear toe control arm mounts on the rear sub frame" that deformed on Mat's car due to the torque, might be something for all you high powered ISs to look out for :)

Here we go, it was the "standard rear toe control arm mounts on the rear sub frame" that deformed on Mat's car due to the torque, might be something for all you high powered ISs to look out for :)

and it was running the standard diff

still is as far as i know

cheers for the input so far guys.

the power delivery isn't the issue - i have that planned out, i hope, and its molded around the fact that i keep the existing engine as don't want the troubles of engine swaps etc.

@aido, yea i know what u mean about the supra TT mate, i do love em, but the only thing putting me off is the relative age of the cars and their inherent nature for being tinkered with (not that it makes them a knacker or anything like that, but maybe not knowing what ur getting kinda thing).

i've spoke with a few people on here and off, and i'm torn at the minute between getting rid of the IS and getting something with more power as stock, or going the whole hog on the IS. Thing is, i love the IS's character, comfort, etc etc and its probably gonna be hard for me to let go of it. It looks wicked in white, its not very common, and certainly is something that i wanna savour for a little longer i think. It still puyts a big smile on my face when i boot it!lol!!

so any more thought on what other upgrades would be a must. so far its looking like rods, pistons, injectors, ECU and clutch. The standard IS diff, transmission and gearbox should hopefully be up to the task though?

i would say they are upto a point. the diff ceratinly is IMHO and the gearbox, well its all about whether your taking on the drag strip lots or not. Though it should be fine.

What form of boost you going for? Charger or Turbo?

Rob, ive driven 3 is200 turbo's, 2 running about 250ish bhp and Sam's thats 300bhp, the 2 with the smaller turbo would be the one i would of/go for, and im sure that Dave Ellen's old is200 turbo was very good on fuel too, the only other way to have nice drive would be to try the twin turbo set-up mate.

Gord, I'm pretty ignorant about this, but is that a turbo vs supercharger issue ? i.e. issues with lag/driveability on turbo setups, but chargers having a more linear power delivery ?

Gord, I'm pretty ignorant about this, but is that a turbo vs supercharger issue ? i.e. issues with lag/driveability on turbo setups, but chargers having a more linear power delivery ?

Well Steve, Sam has very big turbo(more lag) going for the power, so takes that bit of everyday driver away from the car, the smaller Turbo(not as much lag) Dave had fitted to his car retains the everyday drive.

You tend to get the best of both worlds with superchargers, but some are driven from belt direct from engine, where others have clutch, the supercharged Altezza i used to have, had the clutch type, but all the power came in at once, just like driving a big turbo :D

Helix uprated Clutch, 1G-GTE bottom end, Mildly ported head, Uprated injectors, Custom ex-manifold, Garrett GT28 ballbearing turbo, 2.75" turbo back system with sports cat, Good front mount intercooler, Grooved discs with uprated should be good enough for mid 300 brake with braided lines.

Have to look into injectors for sensible priced ones or can go for extra injector with its own control unit.

Decent ECU or is Greddy E-manage up to the job??

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links