Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

will soon be a millionaire at this rate... :hocus-pokus: seriously tho glad its helped so many people

david

After having had my bonnet come crashing down on my head today it's now my turn to buy some. And man did it hurt!!!

• 6 months later...

I had to jump start my van this morning and my struts were already intermittent dependent on the ambient temperature and have been for a couple of years, the bonnet wouldn't hold this morning so I have also just ordered a new pair from the same company.

At last I can get my spanners out on the LS!!!

I have new bonnet struts on my recently aquired car and they were replaced at the last Lexus service by the previous owner. I am too embarassed to say how much they cost fitted!

No need to be embarassed, give us a laugh.

Just reading an old Lexus bill from August 2010 ( prior to my ownership ) Struts were £187.04 for the pair and £17 labour to fit and all + vat of course total £ 239.75 ( vat @17.5% then )

Malc

Just reading an old Lexus bill from August 2010 ( prior to my ownership ) Struts were £187.04 for the pair and £17 labour to fit and all + vat of course total £ 239.75 ( vat @17.5% then )

Malc

That's a good guess Mikeyv.

You can't beat the bling of OEM Lexus 24ct gold plated bonnet struts! Although I prefer a simple black paint finish and £39.00.

Mine arrived today but I'm confused!

To start with the replacements are around 30mm shorter than the OEM ones fitted.

I cannot remove the originals from the balljoints as there is no circlip as on the replacement ones to allow the joint to be pulled out easily, I have tried prising with a large flat head screwdriver and using long nose pliers to lever the balljoint out but to no avail, all I have acheived is to mark the originals.

I rang the company 1st mentioning the differing lenght and was told to "try them" and " the balljoints just pop out of the originals"

So what I am doing wrong compared to everyone else please.

My OEMs are part number 53450-50020 and the replacements SDRS 03-200.

I tried that on my old Mark 4 struts - didnt work - i dont think they are designed to "pop" out - you wouldnt want them "popping" during normal use?? - these are the wrong struts in my opinion

also the other guys who have bought replacements have bought them for the Mark 3 and 4 - not earlier models

Just had a look at the 1997 model I am breaking and the balljoints on that are exactly the same as those on the Strutmaster replacements and the same lenght so would be a straight fit.

It would therefore appear that they are not for the earlier models.

Steve, I didn't disturb the ball joints, just unbolted the whole assembly at both ends.

It does sound as if they might not be the right length, but as the supplier has asked you to try them, you have nothing to lose by fitting them.

I tried that but if you look at the right hand ball joint on my original it is a longer fiting than the replacement and the thread is also bigger,how you separate the joint I don't know yet but on Toyodiy it shows the strut and balljoints as separate parts so must be possible, trouble is there is nothing to lever against.

Strange thing is when I refitted the old ones they are now working again!

Hi Steve

It sounds like you have the same problem I encounted when I did my Mk2 last year . The original ball joint will fit the new struts ,the pain is removing it from the old ones. Some time spent with a hacksaw and pliers did the job for me ,just be carefull not to cut too deep and damage the ball.

Good luck with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted mine today. There's talk of hacksawing etc on here, don't know why, unless that only applies to ealier LS's. 12mm spanner to remove the old ball studs (with old strut attached), 13mm to refit the new ones (I used a deep socket, fitted ball studs first then attached new struts and locking pins).

I didn't want the strutsdirect label on, warm it with a hardrier and it peels right off.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links