Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Righto,

I have the following fault codes on my '93 LS400:

Code 31 = Airflow metre sensor signal malfunction

Code 24 = Intake temp sensor signal

I'm finding the car difficult to start and sometimes urges and stalls.

So I thought I'd phone my local parts dept. Good job I'd strapped myself to the chair, their prices were £700+ VAT for the MAF and £70+ VAT for the other!!

Apart from scouring the scappies, can anyone recommend somewhere that may have a more reasonable pricing structure?

Many thanks...

Righto,

I have the following fault codes on my '93 LS400:

Code 31 = Airflow metre sensor signal malfunction

Code 24 = Intake temp sensor signal

I'm finding the car difficult to start and sometimes urges and stalls.

So I thought I'd phone my local parts dept. Good job I'd strapped myself to the chair, their prices were £700+ VAT for the MAF and £70+ VAT for the other!!

Apart from scouring the scappies, can anyone recommend somewhere that may have a more reasonable pricing structure?

Many thanks...

I would give the connectors a good clean- a light squirt of wd40 and plug in and out a few times to re-seat the contacts, then clear the codes and see if they return

If you do need spares, there is a chap called Maurice, (stage-1 at tiscali.co.uk) (replace the at with the @ sign.) I have had a few things from him, he wrecks/ parts out Lexus's, he is a member here, "benfur" Im not on commission or related! It's an easy way to get 2nd hand parts

Theres a MAF on E-bay item no 380122984723 for £45 plus shipping from the USA.

If you do need spares, there is a chap called Maurice, (stage-1 at tiscali.co.uk) (replace the at with the @ sign.) I have had a few things from him, he wrecks/ parts out Lexus's, he is a member here, "benfur" Im not on commission or related! It's an easy way to get 2nd hand parts

Thanks for the info guys, but how do I know that the replacement MAF isn't in the same knackered state as my existing unit? Is it a case of I takes me gamble?

Cheers,

Damian

As Mybikesacx500 suggests 1st clean the connectors and reset the ecu this costs nothing but a little time and effort and if this sorts your problem there you go.

The MAF fitted to the 1993 LS400 is a Karman Vortex type and was discontinued on the later models it is however a common failing part and is very sensitive to mechanical shock and damage from intake debris so ensure you replace the air filter and make sure there is nothing in the filter housing if you do fit a replacement.

As to whether you buy new or secondhand is of course your choice but I wouldn't even consider spending nearly £800.00 on a 16 year old car.

93 LS400 L plate on forcourt: £2,275

Good condition £1050

Average condition £850

New MAF from Lexus £700

No contest really is there.

Valuation at http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/cars/carvaluation/#

You would be as well off ringing around the breakers yards in your area, after you have done the cleaning and resetting.

Am I right in saying that the Intake temp sensor is part of the MAF, so replacing the MAF is all he would need to do? or will he have to replace that as well?

Or, could the fault be just Intake temp sensor, so the two fault codes are coming up for the single reason?

Can the Temp sensor be replaced on its own?

You know, sometimes I miss Cortinas.....

Thanks for the info guys, but how do I know that the replacement MAF isn't in the same knackered state as my existing unit? Is it a case of I takes me gamble?

Cheers,

Damian

Cheers,

Damian

Speak to Maurice, He will refund / replace and bits that don't work, I'm sure

93 LS400 L plate on forcourt: £2,275

Good condition £1050

Average condition £850

New MAF from Lexus £700

No contest really is there.

Valuation at http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/cars/carvaluation/#

You would be as well off ringing around the breakers yards in your area, after you have done the cleaning and resetting.

Am I right in saying that the Intake temp sensor is part of the MAF, so replacing the MAF is all he would need to do? or will he have to replace that as well?

Or, could the fault be just Intake temp sensor, so the two fault codes are coming up for the single reason?

Can the Temp sensor be replaced on its own?

You know, sometimes I miss Cortinas.....

It's all the one bit on my '92, I'm sure. Know what you mean about Cortinas, in my case it was mini's, Beetles, Anglias and a Standard10, to really give my age away

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links