Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,

Been driving my IS300 Sat Nav since new, for 5 years now and was wondering should I upgrade (if it actually is an upgrade) to a 'new' IS250 SE-L.

I use the car every day, all year long and do about 150 miles a day.

Is the new car a big difference, should I go for it?

Does it suffer with straight line stability at speed and inner tyre wear like the IS200/300 has done, or has this been all storted by Lexus?

Is the auto box good?

Anything else I should know??

By the way, I notice that a new feature on the 'new' IS250 SE-L is that the door mirrors automatically fold-in at the push of a button on the driver door handle when standing outside the car, cool :shifty:

Personally, I'd stick with the IS300- chances are that you will get a poor p/x price for it.

As you are doing 150 miles a day, isn't a diesel the best option for you? (IS220d?)

As a former IS 300 owner, I can tell you that the SEL-Auto is in a different league to the 300 Model which I thought the best of the Mk1 derivatives by far.

Build,Economy & Smooth delivery are significantly improved along with the extra "toys", albeit @ a higher price.

Tel

Personally, I'd stick with the IS300- chances are that you will get a poor p/x price for it.

As you are doing 150 miles a day, isn't a diesel the best option for you? (IS220d?)

Having driven the IS220d for a short while, I decided against it. One main reason was that I am used to the 3 litre power, it would be like going back to driving the IS200 Sport in BHP terms. Also, the IS220d seemed like hard work to drive! :blink:

Having driven the IS220d for a short while, I decided against it. One main reason was that I am used to the 3 litre power, it would be like going back to driving the IS200 Sport in BHP terms. Also, the IS220d seemed like hard work to drive! :blink:

For what it's worth, why don't you drive a 250 Auto. Don't make the mistake that because they look the same from the outside there is no difference between them. Driving them they are worlds apart.

I think you'd find the IS250 a slightly less 'involved' drive compared to the IS300, but vastly improved in all other areas - the auto box is sublime and it's so quiet and refined :)

The fact that the SE-L comes with 18" rims as standard with 40's profile does this harden the ride and pick-up tramlining?

Also, anyone else got doubts over the strange coloured (goldish fleck) alloys as standard, personally I prefer shiney silver alloys. :)

I actually much prefer the slightly darker alloys, but it's all personal preference at the end of the day and I'm sure you could probably work out a deal with your dealer to change them to something else if it was a big problem - alternatively sell them on here or eBay and get a completely different set!

Can't comment on the ride really, but only real way to tell is to take one for a test drive :winky:

Hi,

Been driving my IS300 Sat Nav since new, for 5 years now and was wondering should I upgrade (if it actually is an upgrade) to a 'new' IS250 SE-L.

I use the car every day, all year long and do about 150 miles a day.

Is the new car a big difference, should I go for it?

Does it suffer with straight line stability at speed and inner tyre wear like the IS200/300 has done, or has this been all storted by Lexus?

Is the auto box good?

Anything else I should know??

By the way, I notice that a new feature on the 'new' IS250 SE-L is that the door mirrors automatically fold-in at the push of a button on the driver door handle when standing outside the car, cool :shifty:

Hi there,

I traded in my IS300 (no SatNav) for my 1 year old IS250 SEL in February.

"Upgrade" is the correct term because IMO you get a more refined motor with no real noticeable difference in performance, and better straight line stability.

I miss the IS300 though as it did have a sportier feel, and there seemed to be a greater sense of urgency and response when accelerating hard. A lovely, lovely car.

My biggest regret is actually trading it in. I should have sold it on privately, or kept it. The trade in was pants!

I bought new 18"Hoshi alloys from various sellers on eBay and shod them with Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres, the same tyres as originally fitted, and would say that the ride feels firmer and the handling better with no difference in road noise.

You won't see any inner tyre wear. The original tyres for mine have done 13K and have at the very least that left in them.

So if you want more space, toys and luxury go for it. But avoid the trade in if you can, and just keep it if you can afford it.

Cheers and Good Luck.

Hi John

Thanks for your comments.

Yeah, the trade in value they offered me was £5k on a very 'straight' motor (full service history, no prangs, 1 owners from new so on, so on, so on...) I know this should easily fetch between £8k-£9k on their fourcourt too.

The new IS250SE-L is tempting but i'm just finding it hard to part with the 300 :crybaby:

Yeah, the trade in value they offered me was £5k on a very 'straight' motor (full service history, no prangs, 1 owners from new so on, so on, so on...)

Interesting, assuming your car is in as good condition as mine is (which it sounds like it is, possibly better) that doesn't sound right, I was offered £5k for my '02' IS200 SE Auto.........

I admire you for offering up the Lexus diesel option with a straight face and without sarcasm :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, took a IS250 SE-L for a test drive and sure glad I did, I've decided to hold onto the IS300 as I found the standard 18" rims made the ride a bit too firm especially at the rear. It couldn't tackle uneven road sufaces all that well either (felt unsettled) and I found the car generally underpowered for a car this size (big improvement over the IS200 I agree, but not big enough to change from the IS300).

Probably downsizing the rims to 17" would improve ride comfort, but generally think I would find engine power 'slightly' sluggish compaired to what i'm used to.

It's a shame 'cos I really like the look of the IS250 and the GS300 would probably tick all my boxes except for looks!

IS300: I'd suggest trying a new 250SE or SE-I on 17" wheels. Even if I could have stretched my budget to a new SE-L, for me the 18" wheels were a problem for the same reasons you mention. I think you might find the ride on 17" wheels better and, if you want the extra SE-L toys, I'm sure a Lexus dealer would be happy to swap the 18" wheels for 17".

I'm surprised you found the 250 underpowered and sluggish compared with the IS300. According to the 0-62mph figures on the Lexus UK web site the IS300 automatic does it in 8.2 compared with 8.4 seconds for the IS250 automatic. However, I realise 0-62 figures can be misleading and aren't really relevant for everyday driving requirements. The power outputs of the IS300 IS250 engines are similar (157 vs 153kW) but the IS300 has 14% more torque and, perhaps more importantly the peak power and torque arrives at lower revs in the Is300. Therefore, the IS250 will need to be revved more to achieve the acceleration.

In the end it's always a matter of personal preference, but IMHO I think you should try an IS250 on 17" wheels.

Hi Roger

Thanks for your reply, glad you feel the same way as I do regarding the ride quality of the 18". A downsize to 17" is the best option - maybe Lexus would sell more if the SE-L came with 17" as standard but offered 18" as an optional extra?

Your spot-on with the power anaylsis, I too noticed the IS250 had to be revved hard to achieve acceleration compaired to that of my IS300 where the surge of power is instant!

Come on Lexus - Offer us a IS350

Totally agree :)

Think it's been said before that the 250 is not as quick as the 300 despite what the figures suggest so understand where you're coming from. Is there really that much of a difference between the 17s and 18s? Haven't driven a 250 with 18s on, but when I made the switch on my IS200 I barely noticed any difference..........

IS300: I'm not sure whether this Lexus Australia press kit dated Nov 2005 http://www.pressroom.com.au/press_kit_deta...p;kitID=76#1366 will help or hinder your decision making process. It contains some interesting technical descriptions of various aspects of the IS and highlights a number of the changes made between the IS200/300 and the IS250 models.

Think it's been said before that the 250 is not as quick as the 300 despite what the figures suggest so understand where you're coming from. Is there really that much of a difference between the 17s and 18s? Haven't driven a 250 with 18s on, but when I made the switch on my IS200 I barely noticed any difference..........

Dont ask me how I know ....but the IS250 auto is quicker than the IS300!!!in a straight line standing start.:)))

Dont ask me how I know ....but the IS250 auto is quicker than the IS300!!!in a straight line standing start.:)))

Don't belive it! :lol:

I would have prefered the IS200/300 to have been developed further and retained its compact sporty character. Would have been cheaper for Lexus. The IS250 is definitely a good looker but definitely no better than the IS200/300 IMHO.

In this weeks Auto Express it shows a page on the forthcoming IS250-C and it states that this will be available as either a 2.5 or 3.5 engine.

Does this mean a IS350 SE or SE-L will soon follow????? B) :huh: B)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links