Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Suspension / Lowering Kits & 18" Wheels

Fargo

Hi People,

I Will lowering the Lex via TDI soon but cannot make up my mind as to what kit to go for, bearing in mind that this could result in a difference of a grand between the lower end spec and the higher end spec.

My lex is the SE version and so does not have the 30mm drop that the Sport has and im looking to fit 18" wheels with 225/40/18 rubbers.

DO i simply go for the uprated and lowered (-30mm) spring kit which will drop it to the same as the sport and stick the 18" on, how would that look.

Or do i go with the TTE or HKS kit.

So what im looking for from you guys is ideally pictures of what your various drops are with 18" fitted.

Or if your going to the Bracknell meet could you let me know what setup you have so i can have a little look see.

thanks people

I've got the HKS Hiper Damper II coilovers fitted with 18"s no probs from me. However I would decide whether you are having the suspension done for looks or for performance - if it's only for the looks then just change the springs to Eibach or something similar, if you are really serious about performance and handling then go for coilovers

JMO

Si

I've got the HKS Hiper Damper II coilovers fitted with 18"s no probs from me. However I would decide whether you are having the suspension done for looks or for performance - if it's only for the looks then just change the springs to Eibach or something similar, if you are really serious about performance and handling then go for coilovers

JMO

Si

well im going for the looks and perfomance as i do like to chuck cars around but saying that im quiet happy with the cornering ability with the standard kit on it so perhaps i do not need to go the whole hog.

i have also read on this Thread that the TTE kit is not much good if your have passengers in the back which more often i do but on the plus is ideal for normal road use. but the HKS is more suited for the serious road use and track.

With the HKS coilovers is this the same kit as on the TDI website up at 1500££,

Simon is there a picture in the gallery of the drop on your car..

Hiya Fargo

well i had my IS200SE lower be 35mm and got 18" on with no problems, then since i use the car for work and stocking too so i cant lower it too much, it will all depend on how you use your car.... here is some pic of my lowered with 18" on......

Maz_is200_2.sized.jpg

Maz_is200_4.sized.jpg

JMO

Si

well im going for the looks and perfomance as i do like to chuck cars around but saying that im quiet happy with the cornering ability with the standard kit on it so perhaps i do not need to go the whole hog.

i have also read on this Thread that the TTE kit is not much good if your have passengers in the back which more often i do but on the plus is ideal for normal road use. but the HKS is more suited for the serious road use and track.

With the HKS coilovers is this the same kit as on the TDI website up at 1500££,

Simon is there a picture in the gallery of the drop on your car..

The advantage of coilovers against springs is that you can adjust the height of the car to anything you like.

I have the HKS Hipermax II on my car also (not a Lexus) and they are extremely good. Before the coilovers I had the eibach springs, again very good but I wanted a firmer and more controlled drive as I'm in the process of tuning my car to around 300bhp. I now have my car sitting VERY low to the ground but the cornering ability is phenomenal.

I guess it will be similar with the Lexus.

The only problem is the price difference between a set of coilovers compared to spring - huge, but then again you have far more versatility on adjustments - ie, height and damping.

IMO, the extra money you pay for the coilovers is worth it if you intend on driving your Lex enthusiastically.

As for me, the Lex is my second/family car so dont intend on driving it in such a sporty fashion, thus will probably go for a set of springs or the TTE kit instead.

id suggest for your requirements and costs, the TTE coilovers, there is nothing at all wrong with these coilovers, any problems with passengers in the back, will be the same with any coilover...........

TTE coilovers are made by bilstein.........a very good manufacturer

id suggest for your requirements and costs, the TTE coilovers, there is nothing at all wrong with these coilovers, any problems with passengers in the back, will be the same with any coilover...........

TTE coilovers are made by bilstein.........a very good manufacturer

I love the TTE coilovers and they suit my requirements perfectly (looks and improved road handling) but as I said in a previous post, I wouldn't recommend them if you frequently carry heavy loads and a car full of passengers, as they have no damping rate adjustment. This is the advantage the HKS Hiper's have, so you could wind them up to give a really firm ride when you have a car full, and stop the car bottoming out on bumpy roads. I suppose you could raise the car when you are expecting full load, but that defeats the point of coilovers :D

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the TTE coilovers though, I couldn't believe the difference they made to an already brilliant handling car.

, there is nothing at all wrong with these coilovers, any problems with passengers in the back, will be the same with any coilover...........

I wouldn't recommend them if you frequently carry heavy loads and a car full of passengers, as they have no damping rate adjustment. This is the advantage the HKS Hiper's have, so you could wind them up to give a really firm ride when you have a car full, and stop the car bottoming out on bumpy roads. I suppose you could raise the car when you are expecting full load, but that defeats the point of coilovers :D

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the TTE coilovers though, I couldn't believe the difference they made to an already brilliant handling car.

Thanks Andy for your input,

do you think there wil be a big problem with 2 passengers or are you talking about a FULL load of 3 passengers, and yes i guess your right, i could change the ride hieght if it really keeps bottoming out.. what drop did you have.

Who else out there has the TTE kit fitted.

I have only ever had the problem once Fargo, there were 4 passengers and a boot full of wine and beer from a booze cruise. It was also set pretty low, and if I had thought about it before, I would have raised the car a bit. This is never a problem in normal use and even with 4 passengers it doesnt catch unless there is a particularly bad speedhump.

The handling difference is amazing though, I really couldn't believe it.

Hiya Fargo

well i had my IS200SE lower be 35mm and got 18" on with no problems, then since i use the car for work and stocking too so i cant lower it too much, it will all depend on how you use your car.... here is some pic of my lowered with 18" on......

Maz any chance of a close up picture of the gap between your arch and wheel,, what rubber you got on there.

I have only ever had the problem once Fargo, there were 4 passengers and a boot full of wine and beer from a booze cruise. It was also set pretty low, and if I had thought about it before, I would have raised the car a bit. This is never a problem in normal use and even with 4 passengers it doesnt catch unless there is a particularly bad speedhump.

The handling difference is amazing though, I really couldn't believe it.

Well Andy, i think you have now convinced me to go the TTE route,, at half the price of the HKS and with no problems under normal passenger load i reckon its the one for me. :D

Hiya Fargo

Do you have Eibachs Maz? I thought these were only a 30mm drop...?

I have a set of Eibach in my garage still....yes i know thats crap....just haven't had the time...should be in place very soon though...

I think Andy, Si and Mat put it well by saying the Eibach's will give you the look...a very small increase handling performance, due to the lower centre of gravity, but no comparison to the TTE's or similar!

I went out for a ride in Si's car at Gaydon.....all I can say is absolutely fantastic...the car sicks to the road like glue (i know there's a couple more handling extras, but the TTE's do most of the work!)...even cornering hard under his heavy right foot B) ....if I had the money I would defo go for the TTE's.... <----Si, you know you should rent out your motor as a demo car mate!! :lol:

Fargo Posted on May 15 2003, 08:21 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so the TTE's come recommended then 

(for the lower budget thanthe HKS) 

Is there any other place where one can purchase TTE Coilovers from (within UK)apart from TDi? (Talking to DUNCAN about the wait) :blink:

GRiM Posted on May 15 2003, 09:35 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently sourcing a price from TTI

(That's Totoya Team Ireland  for those that don't know  )

Need minimum of 3 for a Group buy 

looking good :winky: :yahoo: :zee:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links