Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looked At Lexus Today , Help Needed

Hi everybody,

Today I went to look at a 1 owner, 2005, 86K, 2.0 IS Sportcross with Sat Nav at Montys, Sheffield. I took it for a drive and was very impressed. They sold the car and have serviced it since. They will sell it to me for £6395 with a service, 12 month MOT, 1 year warranty, New Sport Cross mats and replace the worn gearknob. I would say in general the car was in excellent condition, especially for the mileage. I have been pondering for a while now about getting a Lexus and and a few months ago looked at a new shape GS at Montys, but decided the boot was too small and for a town car was to big. My wife is now 5 months pregnant so the estate makes sense, all be it a little small, though no more than a 159. I have always driven mainly Alfa's and currently on my 3rd 166 which at 110K is a little tired. Any way I'm pretty sure I want it as it ticks all the right boxes bar the mileage and poor MPG. (slightly worse than a 166TS)

BUT.....

I get home and I think, hang on I can get an 05 Honda Accord diesel estate, £7500, 60K, 1 owner with Nav.... it does upto 48MPG. ( a green one autotrader) Sat in one, never driven one.

What should I do, anyone on here owned one, how did it drive?

Help wanted as I need to buy this week, so much appreciated if anyone can spare me their thoughts.

Ta

Nick

agree with Gord here... Honda!

you will never get that MPG in the lexus..

Yes quite right, i think I mean more in terms of build quality and handling...

Hondas, apart from the Civic, are built well and reliable. The Lexus is a nicer drive and has a bit more quality to it. The IS handles quite nicely, an Accord diesel not so much.

How many miles do you do each year? That would tell us how much of an issue the mpg is and remember that diesel fuel costs more.

There are many other vehicles to consider if the Honda is an option such as a Toyota Avensis or Volvo V70.

I do about 12-13000. Unlike many I have always found my Alfa's to be reasonably reliable if serviced correctly and love the way they handle, but I want some rear wheel action and wont consider a BMW. Of course the Honda is front wheel drive, I think that appeals to my practical nature, 1st kid on the way an that.

I do about 12-13000. Unlike many I have always found my Alfa's to be reasonably reliable if serviced correctly and love the way they handle, but I want some rear wheel action and wont consider a BMW. Of course the Honda is front wheel drive, I think that appeals to my practical nature, 1st kid on the way an that.

I used to drive an MG ZS180 and one of the things the MG community always says is the cars have character, I'm sure it's the same with Alfa. But so far I've never found the IS200 boring or soul-less, it seems to have character of it's own. It's a classy ride and the interior styling is quirky and interesting in my opinion. The exterior styling is also brilliant for a 10 year old design.

From changing to the IS200 I found it an excellent quality car, and it always feels solid and dependable. It's very smooth and comfortable to drive, and is just about quick enough to be fun to drive.

However, IMO rear wheel drive is not the massive difference I expected. Probably because I came from a car with a very well sorted chassis, practically no understeer or torque steer. But you can look on the IS200 as a great starter car for RWD, it's not got enough power to really show off the RWD advantage, but it's a good stepping stone to another RWD with a lot more power.

Ive come from a new shape leon 1.9TDI, and got about 480 miles to £60, in the lexus thats more like 290 miles to £60.

I prefer the Lexus. More toys, more comfort, handles miles better than the smaller Leon, and like Paradroid said, the design still looks the part 10 years on.

What 10 year old cars still look good on the roads these days?

I had the older shape Accord (W reg, 2.0 petrol, 5 door hatch) before getting my IS300 SportCross. The Accord was a great car, going from 18,000 miles to well over 95,000 miles in my hands with only one snag (a Lambada Sensor went u/s).

As an “estate”, the SportCross really doesn’t cut the mustard, but it is a whole lot more practical than the saloon if you occasionally need to cart some bigger stuff around. The IS is much smaller, it’s certainly not as roomy as the old Accord hatchback (rear knee space is particularly restricted), and with rear drive, the boot is very shallow.

Go for the Honda, the boot in the sportcross is not so big and the mpg will grind on you.

Plus, although the quality and ownership of the Lexus will be 100%, the rear wheel drive is nice, but you will probably hate the clutch/drive take up action you will get after a while (unless auto - were these only auto?) in which case the 4sd auto is rubbish compared with the IS250 auto box! Its a bit basic! :-)

And with a kid on the way, you will need all the space and practicality you can get, which is not really the Lex! And the rear leg room is rubbish, and for car seats, its a nightmare to get one thats fits correctly - though you will have Isofix on that model I think.

Go for the Honda, the boot in the sportcross is not so big and the mpg will grind on you.

Plus, although the quality and ownership of the Lexus will be 100%, the rear wheel drive is nice, but you will probably hate the clutch/drive take up action you will get after a while (unless auto - were these only auto?) in which case the 4sd auto is rubbish compared with the IS250 auto box! Its a bit basic! :-)

And with a kid on the way, you will need all the space and practicality you can get, which is not really the Lex! And the rear leg room is rubbish, and for car seats, its a nightmare to get one thats fits correctly - though you will have Isofix on that model I think.

Tough decision I'm sure, but what exactly are you looking for? If you just want a decent car to get you from A to B, then the Accord/Mondeo/Passat crew will do exactly that ticking all the boxes in terms of a standard car.

If you want something a bit different, more stylish and a bit more interesting to drive, then look at the IS/3 series/A4 avant (possibly the mondeo sits here too in terms of driveability). Obviously these cars are more restricted in space, but I'm sure they all have more than enough if you're talking about putting a pram in the boot.

I'm not actually a big fan of the sportcross, think it looks a bit lumpy at the rear, and if you're thinking of getting an auto, then look at getting an older IS300 sportcross. MPG is about the same, but the extra power and toys make it better package.

AHHHHHHHHH , too late. I've bought the Lexus, couldn't help myself . No seriously, I slept on it and all very valid comments. I think the car despite the high miles is good value. I really wanted a Lexus over the Honda or any other car for that matter. It's also a grand cheaper than the Honda and with the extra I will spend in petrol over the Honda (about £50 per month more on my mileage) I don't think I will be to out of pocket. As for the size I'm aware of the sportcross limitations but it is still more practical than the saloon. Also my wife has bought a Honda Jazz. The Jazz has stacks of room for a little car, probably more so than the lexus. You see talked myself into it. Bye bye 166, Lexus here I come.

Yes I pick the car up Thursday. Excited indeed. My wife has just bought the Jazz (in fact she is a JAZZ singer!) We got it for £5800, 05 plate 1.4 with 17K on the clock. Not cheap are they, but they are the business when it comes to huge on the inside and reliable for a little car. PA in boot and Jazz drum kit (smaller) behind the seats folded up. Any way back to Lexus. Feel satisfied with my purchase and the dealer has been a pleasure, certainly better than an your average Alfa dealer.

Thanks all for your thoughts.

Nick

Sheffield

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links