Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'm Sick Of People Calling My Lexus A Posh Toyota

I don't how many times people have asked what car I drive and when I reply "A Lexus" they come back with " Oh a posh Toyota". :angry:

I actually smile most of the time, but inside I want to say something, but I just I can't seem to come up with a good retort!

that would be sinking to their level lol

the way I look at it is that my car is just as they say, a toyota, with all the toys and a badge to go with it, and i'm more than happy telling people that as its never let me down, never failed to put a smile on my face when I get in it, or watch the indicators flash as I walk away

remember its not like its a posh KIA

Don't let it get to you mate.

I've got friends and family with the same mentality.

1. Got a friend with a Audi A6 who tells me my IS200 is a posh Toyota- my reply normally is "Nice VW/Seat/Skoda (I normally say Skoda as he is a big badge snob to really wind him up) you got there"

2. My neighbour has a 03 Mercedes C220Cdi with rusted wheel arches/door bottoms and bootlid- he reckons his 03 Merc is better than my nearly 9 year old/123k rust free IS200.

You know that your Lexus is more reliable than the equivalent Mercedes/BMW/Audi etc.

There's nothing wrong with a Toyota though :)

True- they have made some fantantic cars over the years- Supra, AE86/92, MR2 etc, but your to your average badge snob Lexus and Toyota are the same. Its only people like you and me who know that Lexus is the luxary arm of Toyota, just like what Infiniti is to Nissan and what Acura is to Honda.

Don't let it get to you mate.

I've got friends and family with the same mentality.

1. Got a friend with a Audi A6 who tells me my IS200 is a posh Toyota- my reply normally is "Nice VW/Seat/Skoda (I normally say Skoda as he is a big badge snob to really wind him up) you got there"

2. My neighbour has a 03 Mercedes C220Cdi with rusted wheel arches/door bottoms and bootlid- he reckons his 03 Merc is better than my nearly 9 year old/123k rust free IS200.

You know that your Lexus is more reliable than the equivalent Mercedes/BMW/Audi etc.

I suppose you call an Audi a cheap or more practical Lamborghini too!

That is the difference between VAg and Toyota/Lexus, and also that the IS200 was actually an Alteza, and one of those RX' in the states is actually a Landcruiser!!

In fct I'd b flattered as Toyota's are actually better then most makes!

In the end, they are just a Toyota. Sometimes the Toyota versions are better. In the mk1 GS anyway, the Toyota has a twin turbo available, and even the the non-turbo Toyota version has traction control unlike the Lexus equivalent.

In the end, they are just a Toyota. Sometimes the Toyota versions are better. In the mk1 GS anyway, the Toyota has a twin turbo available, and even the the non-turbo Toyota version has traction control unlike the Lexus equivalent.

Exactly right - and the MK2 GS :)

Only the very latest models were Lexus exclusive and not released anywhere under the Toyota name - the others at the end of the day were all Toyota's depending on what market they were sold to :)

I think a swift yet powerful left hook, followed by a few jabs to the head finished off with an uppercut knocking out several teeth would normally solve the ignorant comments about Lexus that we all get from time to time . . . . . :whistling:

Failing that you could always give them the finger . . . pointing to customer satisfaction surveys carried out by JD Power . .thats shuts most people up!! :winky:

Just say it's an IS250 or whatever. If they say "it's a Toyota really" then just say "wow, and I thought it was just a Lexus". Shows up their badge snobbery.

Thing is, for years, Toyota has been regarded as a luxury brand (or at least a BMW Audi equivelant) in Japan anyhow...

With platform sharing and group ownerships, you can say it about a lot of cars:

Audi - "Nice Skoda"

Jaguar - "Nice Tata" (formerly "nice Ford") - I think Tata are also the makers of the world's cheapest car?

Range Rover - "Nice Tata" (also)

Infiniti - "Nice Nissan"

Accura - "Nice Honda"

Doesn't work on Saab any more tho': "Nice GM" was funny, but "nice Konigsegg" - hmm, I'd be jealous of that! :hehe:

Anyone who still says that is a bit retarded imho - Lexus have far and away proved themselves to be a worthy match to BMW/Mercedes/Audi with their latest offerings so it's only an ignorant fool who says stuff like that anymore.

In fact, no one's ever actually said that to me before, but maybe that's just a London thing :P

I was once told by someone that they wouldn't have a lexus given to them as it was a poor man's merc, but it was a girl, without a driver's licence, so she don't count

I was once told by someone that they wouldn't have a lexus given to them as it was a poor man's merc, but it was a girl, without a driver's licence, so she don't count

Sounds like she deserves a slap, I'd take a skoda if it was given to me :P

• 2 weeks later...

Why do we end up buying the cars we do?

For the looks?

For the way it drives?

For the equipment?

For the price?

For the reliability?

Yes I chose both my IS200 and IS250 because of all of these things. The one tihng I didn't care about is the badge. The simple fact is, I would atill have bought them if they had a Toyota badge on the front. In fact the servicing would probably be cheaper.....

The simple fact is, I would atill have bought them if they had a Toyota badge on the front. In fact the servicing would probably be cheaper.....

It is cheaper if you walk over the road to the Toyota dealer, same parts, same people usually, half the price, dad's been doing it for years, bits still come with Toyota made in Japan on them whichever service areas Coffee you drink.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't want an Audi or BMW there are just too many of them and overvalued too as used cars. My choice of car brand was between Mercedes and Lexus. I was put off the Mercs because of reliablity issues and reports of poor service from the dealers.

That left only Lexus.

I'm happy if the rest of the UK population thinks Lexus is an inferior brand. It means I'll continue to get a superior qualilty car at a bargain price for many more years to come.

Don't tell anyone else and don't let them in your car, you'll only make more buyers and push up the prices.

I just point out that's a good thing as it's superbly reliable especially compared to my other car (Mercedes)

The only thing that does annoy me is when you go to the dealers for a service or parts and they definitely won't let you forget it's a posh Toyota by charging you an arm and a leg more than Toyota for almost the same thing.....make sure I drink lots of coffee and eat the pastries to try and make the difference back :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links