Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Over Described Ls400-yet Again

It was for sale by the trader at just over a £1,000 on Autotrader. I'm no car expert, but I know the difference between immaculate and worn.

Just my two penneyworth, but it generally true that it can often be cheaper in the long run to (in the case of an LS400) buy a 1996-onwards car for around £2,500-£3,000 (say) than to go for a rather earlier one because it seems a bargain at around £1,000. The price of parts alone could easily eat up the money 'saved'.

Its probably a cut an pasted ad from somewhere else with jus the name of the car added.

If you want a cheap an cheerful under described 400 then one of ours is for sale. Its out of MOT and rent and has a snapped fan belt. Thats why its not been retested or used for the last 3 months. Oh, its also done over 300,000 miles and has a Cherished plate. No idea what its it worth. Obviously not a lot even with a fresh MOT and even fresher Fan belt.

I had a look at this car.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEXUS-LS-400-1993-K-...3A2%7C294%3A100

It was for sale by the trader at just over a £1,000 on Autotrader. I'm no car expert, but I know the difference between immaculate and worn.

Caveat emptor!

If you look at his outher items for sale he has a mileage correction computer for sale, I wonder if he has tried it out on any of the cars he has for sale or sold. mmm

I was impressed by the photo of the SAAB manual in the glove box!

Why though would you not believe the description we'd all say the same privately they are great cars. It does look a bit OTT in print though.

Edit : I just noticed that it has 4 wheel drive!!!!

It's amazing what a "Star Filter" does for special effects on the photos, it also says "new Tyres" then in the Q and A says one new tyre, radio doesn't work and has had some power steering fluid ( probably due to a leak thats now covered the alternator!)

If that's immaculate mine is concours!

Hi just noticed some of the photos are from the car at Enfield car auction ( the sales side not the car park) he didn,t make a lot of profit on that as it sold for £450. If its half way as good as he says someone got a good deal.

Hi just noticed some of the photos are from the car at Enfield car auction ( the sales side not the car park) he didn,t make a lot of profit on that as it sold for £450. If its half way as good as he says someone got a good deal.

Trust me, it the only stunning thing about this car is that the description bares no relation to the car. I'm just stunned he could claim it is! Leather badly marked and worn through, gear lever looks like a dog ate it, filthy carpets, 3 mm left on all 4 tyres (it had no new ones on it when i viewed it), every wheel badly kerbed, paint on the rear arches bubbling, patches or peeled laquer-need I go on? Looking forward to reading the feedback. And he is a trader, not a private seller, although I am not sure if he is breaching eBay rules. I hope the buyer refuses to accept it-it is definately NOT as described. Especially with photos of a Saab interior.

I am suprised he got any bids

It's been my experience of eBay that descriptions of stuff I have purchased have been accurate,nearly all of which I never viewed before auction closed as I trusted the written description. Had the descriptions been a tissue of inaccuracies (like this one) I'd have no worry about walking away without buying. I have purchased a few cars, my van and half a dozen or so motorbikes this way without a single problem. Or have I been extremely lucky?

If I was still looking for an LS (I fortunately I found and purchased an almost perfect one-which was better thazn the description), I would probably have had A bid on it. What I would have said when I turned up to collect it would have been something else!

Pic 5 isnt even an LS, unless they made a model with a manual gearbox, and pic 6 looks like a stock photo.

Think we can expect Bidder 3 to become a member very soon, with LOTS of questions...

I also like the feature of the changing interior :) pic 5 & 6

• 2 months later...

Crickey - what a cynical lot you are. :D I thought that was the prerogative of us OAP grumpy old men. :rolleyes:

Seriously as a new(ish) member here you have shown me just a naive I am. I did not see most of the ‘continuity’ boo boos until you pointed them out. :blush::blush:

Now where is the eBay write up for the Lex I bought a few weeks ago :yahoo: B) B)

I not sure that I want you lot to see it :D :D

:lookaround:

Rod

Crickey - what a cynical lot you are. :D I thought that was the prerogative of us OAP grumpy old men. :rolleyes:

Seriously as a new(ish) member here you have shown me just a naive I am. I did not see most of the ‘continuity’ boo boos until you pointed them out. :blush::blush:

Now where is the eBay write up for the Lex I bought a few weeks ago :yahoo: B) B)

I not sure that I want you lot to see it :D :D

:lookaround:

Rod

Nothing wrong with eBay for cars,i bought my mk4 from there and when going through the history i found the last owners number.I rang them and after a long chat about the car ( finding that nothing at all was wrong with it and they had traded for a 430).Low and behold i found i got it from their trader for £500 less than they got 10 day previously.RESULT 30 months and 2 mot's later all i have changed is 4 tyres :lol: buy of the year i think.

Andy

Mine was through eBay also, Ive bought 4 cars & 3 bikes through it, If you ask all the right questions you cant go wrong, If its not as described you are under no obligation to buy, I went to 1 bike 1 Merc & 1 Lexus that I won, but refused on inspection.

I dont know how many cars Ive been to see advertised on autotrader that have been described as mint only to turn up to find wrecks, people must think if you turn up you are either blind, stupid or desperate.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links