Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is This Legal?

Adam W

Hi All,

Again in my quest for a IS200 or an Altezza I have come across this website,

http://www.bargaincarsdirect.co.uk/156259/aboutus.htm

While they do seem to have some nice metal in stock but I’m a little worried about their Terms and Conditions, basically they seem to have dismissed any comeback that you would normally get with a dealer, If you scroll down on the about us page you can see them.

Is this Legal? why would an honest dealer remove your statutory rights? and has anyone had any experience of this?

Thanks

As far as I know statutory rights are statutory rights no matter what you are buying from a shop/company if something is wrong or not as described then you have the right to a refund/exchange at the sellers discretion but you are entitled to compensation of sorts

Taken from Gov't Consumer site:

if you have bought something on the basis of the seller’s description or a sample, you should expect the item to conform exactly to that description or sample. If it does not, you have the right to reject the goods, demand a full refund and possibly claim damages. This is still the case even where you have selected or examined the items for yourself before buying them.

Linky to website here maybe worth giving them a call just to be sure and if the dealer is breaking the law they can deal with it

The T&Cs state that all cars are sold in an unroadworthy condition and cannot be driven on the road - so I can't see any legal comeback at all if anything fails. Also states that some cars may come with an MOT which would mean it is roadworthy :s

Also states that nothing said by any employees is binding so therefore they cannot tell what the condition of the car is and you have to make your own descision visually.

I would stay well clear!

I would steer clear as others have said, email the link to the trading standards office that is closest to High Wycombe, they will probably confirm what we all think

I don't know all the ins and outs of car dealers, but if they are offering cars as unroadworthy, then its just like buying from a breakers?

The T&Cs state that all cars are sold in an unroadworthy condition and cannot be driven on the road - so I can't see any legal comeback at all if anything fails. Also states that some cars may come with an MOT which would mean it is roadworthy :s

Also states that nothing said by any employees is binding so therefore they cannot tell what the condition of the car is and you have to make your own descision visually.

I would stay well clear!

Having a current MOT does not necessarily mean a car is roadworthy it means it passed all the requirements for the test on the day of the test but 9 months down the road if a car has 4 bald tyres it is not roadworthy but still has a valid MOT.

I did call them initially, they wanted to bring the car to me, or meet somewhere in High Wycombe!. Off to Southampton Monday to look at a slightly less dodgy one.

Ok that does sound dodgy, made the right decision to steer clear :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links