Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I am just planning an LPG installation and wished to know what the biggest size of Toroidal tank I could fit.

I have looked at http://www.tinleytech.co.uk/sizes.html and I was hoping to get a 95 litre tank in, 76 litre fill.

I think I read some where that it was possible, but a little "boot work" was required to reshape part of the wheel well to make it fit.

Not a problem, my LS is a dailey driver and I'm more interested in milage rather than a minor modification.

This 95 Litre tank would be a 72cm diameter tank and 27 cm high.

Has anyone got an LS400 Mk-III with a 95L (76L fill) tank this big installed?

And, any one had any experience of Chris Seaton at PFI Fuel systems in Alresford Hants? He has quoted me £2100 all in.

http://www.p-i-fuelsystems.co.uk/lpg_conversions.htm

I am just planning an LPG installation and wished to know what the biggest size of Toroidal tank I could fit.

I have looked at http://www.tinleytech.co.uk/sizes.html and I was hoping to get a 95 litre tank in, 76 litre fill.

I think I read some where that it was possible, but a little "boot work" was required to reshape part of the wheel well to make it fit.

Not a problem, my LS is a dailey driver and I'm more interested in milage rather than a minor modification.

And, any one had any experience of Chris Seaton at PFI Fuel systems in Alresford Hants? He has quoted me £2100 all in.

hi if the fill hole is in the middle no mod needed

ManicMarc, what dimensions is your LPG tank?

Hi mine is only a 70 litre tank 56 litre fill as they didn't have the larger one in stock its 67cm across but falls in the hole with apx 5cm all round to spare.

kpnuts, I am looking to install a "Toroidal tank", donut shape that goes in the spare wheel well.

I guess you have a Cylinder tank? because I wish to use the boot, i feel that the spare wheel is expendable. AA researh shows that on average cars get punctures every 96,000 miles these days, so I am happy to take a chance on that.

kpnuts, I am looking to install a "Toroidal tank", donut shape that goes in the spare wheel well.

I guess you have a Cylinder tank? because I wish to use the boot, i feel that the spare wheel is expendable. AA researh shows that on average cars get punctures every 96,000 miles these days, so I am happy to take a chance on that.

I have an LS430 with 70ltr tank (I think- anyway it takes just over 60ltrs) and even with this the boot floor is raised about an inch and I get about 280ish miles from it. - dunno whether the 400 is better

Ride on puncture sealent in the tyres is the way to go, works brilliant balances the wheels perfect also.

• 5 years later...

Resurrecting this old thread with a question.

I spotted this installation thread on a LS430 and wonder if anyone else has what looks like a full toroidal tank fitted? I bought a new one with 60 litre capacity and size 600 x 250 which should fit, but concerned about the situation vis a vis the spare wheel post removal and bolt down bars. How easy is it to fit, space wise? and the centre convex shape over the remains of the spare wheel post? Will it lie flat?

Technically I think this sort of tank is for slinging under a vehicle. I bought it with a new Landirenzo four cylinder front end kit unused, which I sold and so the tank has cost me very little. Its an adequate size for my needs.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/tutorials/article/126-lpg-installation-on-a-lexus-ls430/

Dont forget you wont get 60 litres into the tank as it only fills to around 80% of its volume to allow for exspansion of the gas. Mike

Adequate for my needs Mike. I used to have similar in my S Class which was more thirsty than the lexus, on petrol. Just concerned about fitting. Getting correct length extension bars to reach base and how to tighten etc. I also thought that the "box" would be crossways aligned to the rear of the boot, but not in this example? Don't want to learn panel beating! Interested to know if anyone has similar tank installed?

Dont forget you wont get 60 litres into the tank as it only fills to around 80% of its volume to allow for exspansion of the gas. Mike

Adequate for my needs Mike. I used to have similar in my S Class which was more thirsty than the lexus, on petrol. Just concerned about fitting. Getting correct length extension bars to reach base and how to tighten etc. I also thought that the "box" would be crossways aligned to the rear of the boot, but not in this example? Don't want to learn panel beating! Interested to know if anyone has similar tank installed?

Cant help with the tank fitting but good luck with it. Will be interested in how the finished job works out. Mike

Simon - £2100!! wow that is expensive indeed....I have done some research on the LPG forums UK and an installer by the name of 'Tubbs' has earned himself a very good rep among the members on there. I called 'Tubbs' and he will do the installation on my MK3 for £1375 all in! he also provides the relevant document that you need for UK insurance purposes. Only thing is he will keep your car for more than a few days to make sure it is all set up properly and running as it should. I'll see if I can find his website and post the link on here.

Profess will do your car for £1200 and in a day. There are many happy customers on here that have used them including myself. My wifes and my car recently being converted by them. Several friends also have used them. Never a problem with any of them.

They lend you a car for the day so have a great day out in beautiful south Wales while the works being done. Mike

http://www.professautogas.co.uk/

My Mk 3 has a lpg conversion done by 'Tubbs' - Toby Mackay - for the previous owner.

Toby's website is www.independentautogas.co.uk

It has a toroidal tank with a 65 litre capacity in the spare wheel well and the filler is mounted in a central position on a bracket under the rear bumper.

I had an 84 litre toroidial tank fitted in my LS430 by Progas at a cost of £1400.

Superb job, have never yet felt the change over from petrol to gas.

I though at the time that had the convex base of the tyre well been hammered flat the tank would have fitted without raising the floor level by 20mm.

I've found brackets that I see will make the job fairly easy. Only hope they are strong enough. Steel threaded rods welded to brackets - no nuts or washers for other end supplied with them. Got plenty at home.

Perhaps Ron this is how your Toroidal is screwed down, if its a full toroidal?

(sorry deleted link as image not showing)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links