Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Member With Satnav Query

Hi Guys, Iam looking into buying a 220D in the next month or so (tax and insurance dictate!). Due to budget restraints i will most likely be looking at a 2006 model, and would only purchase one with the Mark Levinson satnav system (gadget freak!).

What are your comments on the 2006 version of the Mark Levinson system? - is the guidance useless compared to TomToms (ive heard that in-built navs can be poor), is it compatible with ipod?

Secondly, does the 2006 version require the cutting of wires to enable blocked features whilst driving? - i think i remember reading somewhere that earlier models have a hidden menu to unblock features.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Enabling on move features does require cutting and linking in behind unit but is not hard to do .Artical is avaliable with pics.

I think sat nav is excellent except for limited post code ...only 4 digits.......but consider IS250 auto instead .....It is the best model I think

Thanks for your comments guys.

I considered an auto 250 originally, but the insurance and fuel costs would just be too much for me unfortunately. I had a 'test drive' of a 220 only a week or so ago, after some chav decided to plant his fiesta's engine in the boot of my astra sporthatch! I agree that the auto 250 is the best option, but just not viable for me, and i fell in love with the 220 to be honest.

Would you say the update disc is a must? what should i be prepared to pay for this?

Thanks for your comments guys.

I considered an auto 250 originally, but the insurance and fuel costs would just be too much for me unfortunately. I had a 'test drive' of a 220 only a week or so ago, after some chav decided to plant his fiesta's engine in the boot of my astra sporthatch! I agree that the auto 250 is the best option, but just not viable for me, and i fell in love with the 220 to be honest.

Would you say the update disc is a must? what should i be prepared to pay for this?

The update comes as a set of four covering all of Europe for around £150, and yes it allows programming the satnav on the move.

I considered an auto 250 originally, but the insurance and fuel costs would just be too much for me unfortunately.

As far as i'm aware there both group 13. Surely though, if you can afford several grand for a car, another £100 a year on the insurance aught to be a fairly non-issue?

As for fuel economy if you can barely afford to run one, you aught to recalculate your fuel costs at around 20% lower than the official figures, as most users on the forum are only getting around mid 30's some upto around 40mpg on the diesel which is only about 10% more than people are getting on the petrols in practice, so if you find one for £1000 less used, it could end up cheaper and you'll have the better car at the end of it.

I considered an auto 250 originally, but the insurance and fuel costs would just be too much for me unfortunately.

As far as i'm aware there both group 13. Surely though, if you can afford several grand for a car, another £100 a year on the insurance aught to be a fairly non-issue?

As for fuel economy if you can barely afford to run one, you aught to recalculate your fuel costs at around 20% lower than the official figures, as most users on the forum are only getting around mid 30's some upto around 40mpg on the diesel which is only about 10% more than people are getting on the petrols in practice, so if you find one for £1000 less used, it could end up cheaper and you'll have the better car at the end of it.

Now theres a man with his Thinking hat on!!!!!!!!!........soung advice!!!

Thanks for your help.

I think the 250 is group 14, and as iam 23 and coming off being a named driver to my own insurance, the difference seems to be significant with the quotes ive been given so far. I do need to look further into this though, and maybe i might be able to plump for the 250.

Problem is though, there doesnt seem to be many available at the dealers at around 13k with leather seats and satnav - the options i must have. Should i consider an independant/local garage, or is this a bad idea? I would prefer to get one from a lexus dealer but few are available and no doubt more expensive.

I'd be surprised if there was a massive difference in insurance between a 250 and 220d even considering your age as they're not that different (in value or performance)

Are you only looking at cars at £13k then? I'd extend your search to cars up to £15k and then haggle as hard as you can, given current times there's definitely a deal to be made. Personally I prefer buying from a dealer as the 12 month warranty they give you is worth the extra you will pay for the car.

I think the 250 is group 14, and as iam 23 and coming off being a named driver to my own insurance, the difference seems to be significant with the quotes ive been given so far. I do need to look further into this though, and maybe i might be able to plump for the 250.

It won't make a lot of difference, I bought my then 2 year old 3.0 V6 Camry, leather, satnav etc when I was 22 4 years ago, the cost of insurance over the 2.0 Avensis auto I had before it was fairly minimal, think it was about £150 extra, it now costs me £400 a year and thats group 15, so I doubt a 250 would be that bad.

I have seen a few MKIII GS300's at dealers going for around £11k, might be worth looking into, fuel economy wise it will be just as economical as the 250 and insurance certainly won't be £2000 a year extra, just another thought, if the better car is cheaper to start with?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links