Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Good/cheap Tyres Recommendation?

Hi all, My MOT is coming up next month and due to a dodgy wheel bearing (which I've now replaced) I need 2 new front tyres for my car, although I'll probably switch all 4 while I'm at it. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend an that are well priced but offer good in iffy road conditions (where I live and drive to work gets a bit of snow and can be slippy). I'm on a tight budget to be honest, wish I wasn't but rather than go by what a garage might try telling me I'd rather ask the people that will know. I have the standard Lexus 17" alloys, 215/45/17. Thanks in advance

I posted an answer a while ago to your very same question.

I recomened a set of Federals all round. Just to put my money were my mouth was i bought a full set myself and put them on to try them this was about a month ago I havent took them of yet. I added what they cost me (as a mechanic who uses a national suplier) and got into trouble for it when i offered to get them for the guy. So i cant do this now but i am sure there were some on eBay when i looked for them there are cheap enough have a good directional tread pattern work well in the wet and have reasonable wear life.

AS for tyres in the snow any road tyres will be crap in the snow this site is full of discusion of how bad the is200 is in the snow.

A quick search would have brought up many similar threads i.e. http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=64029 & http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...c=63740&hl=

The Federals get mixed reviews on line http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Federal/...SUPER-STEEL.htm

Out of interest had anyone tried the Maxxis M35 Victra Asymmet or have thoughts on Maxxis tyres as a whole? I can get them dirt cheap through work. I'm currently running THESE

Maybe we should do a pinned thread with tyre recommendations & peer reviews?

i find maxxis tyres to be about on par with federals. I have and do use both its just normally federals are cheaper only a couple of quid but when you want 4 plus vat its over a tenner more. I dont do millions of tyres probably 200 a month most of which are a budget range either federals or maxxis. My garage was a maxxis autherised dealer but we got out of it as they promised to be cheapest tyres and they werent alot of the time. Also my garage is in Manchester and Maxxis advertises at one of the Liverpool based football clubs you be suprised how many people say sod that there scouse tyres.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have been looking at the Maxxis M35 X/L 91Y Asymmetric tires, are these any good as I cannot find any reviews of them? I know people have covered tires before but I am just trying to make sure I get the right ones, nearly skidded out and crashed again last night on the way home from work!! Starting to wonder whether I should just trade the car in

For what it's worth, I always think you should get the best tyres you can possibly afford. There's such a spectrum of difference in performance and from a safety point of view, is it really worth cheaping out?

I'd love to get some really decent ones but money is very tight at the moment so I have about £250 budget for a set. I like the looks of the Federals and the Maxxis M35 at the moment

khumo is my tyre of choice when i brought my car most of the tyres were shot as i just shelled out for car i was on a tight budget my self so i got khumo put on this was a year and four mounths ago and they still got good tread left on them and got to admit was peed off at first that i could not get better ones but have been very suprised at the performance and handeling of these tyres even in last years snow and my friend put them on his audi and likes them too.

but if you are buying four tyres most places will do you a good deal so its worth asking for pices on sets of four cuz you might be able to get a better set of tyers than you think

Ecsta SPT KU31 very good alround performer and like i said they wear good and grip as well as you can wish from a tyre , fitted and balanced for four tyres cost £266.52 cant moan at that like i said they were fitted over a year ago and still got good tread

For what it's worth, I always think you should get the best tyres you can possibly afford. There's such a spectrum of difference in performance and from a safety point of view, is it really worth cheaping out?

Agree with you entirely but the problem is that buying the most expensive will not guarantee you the best tire. I have had Pirellis on both cars and they are rubbish. Can only recommend Bridgestone SO2 but only for dry work. Klebers (much cheaper) were as good as the Michelins... Still looking for really good dry/wet tyre...

Agree with you entirely but the problem is that buying the most expensive will not guarantee you the best tire. I have had Pirellis on both cars and they are rubbish. Can only recommend Bridgestone SO2 but only for dry work. Klebers (much cheaper) were as good as the Michelins... Still looking for really good dry/wet tyre...

+1 to Bridestone's, they're very good quality. Got Dunlops all round on mine at the moment but I've heard great things about Falcons, and Toyos (R1's?) both been mentioned on the LOC a fair few times

nearly skidded out and crashed again last night on the way home from work!! Starting to wonder whether I should just trade the car in

of course you will, you have summer tyres and trying to drive in winter conditions...

Thanks again for all the suggestions, the Toyo's would be nice if they were 215/45/17. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with the Maxxis M35 Asymmetric tyres, they sound really good and have a decent life expectancy, strength and temperature rating and I found them quite cheap. If not I may go for the federals unless my mate (who deals with a tyre company) can get me any good deals

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links