Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying A Lexus Ls400 1996 Model

I am just about to buy a LS400 1996 model. The car is in very good order, drives perfect and everything works...all the electrics. My dilemna is that the last owner has not supplied the service history book for this car. I have done HPI checks and MOT checks and everything seems to tally in terms of mileage. I have fallen in love with this car, but I need some advice as to whether I go for this car and leave it because of the service history issue....please help.

I am just about to buy a LS400 1996 model. The car is in very good order, drives perfect and everything works...all the electrics. My dilemna is that the last owner has not supplied the service history book for this car. I have done HPI checks and MOT checks and everything seems to tally in terms of mileage. I have fallen in love with this car, but I need some advice as to whether I go for this car and leave it because of the service history issue....please help.

That would depend on the price, if its cheap enough & its all in working order ( allow £600 for a cambelt change) top value for a 96 with around 120k on it would be £2000 with full history, without history & no cambelt proof £1200 you should be able to judge from those figures how much to pay.

Go for it, the Mk-iii is the most economical LS400 and all you will miss from a Mk-iV is the sat nav in dash and restyled front end, but Mk-iv is a lot thirstyer.

Once a Lexus driver, always a lexus driver, I am on my second, so are many others.

This is a good site, scroll down the pages.....

http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html

Enjoy..... you wont regret it.

PS: Mk-iV wheels will go on a Mk-iii, but you need the nuts too.

Go for it, the Mk-iii is the most economical LS400 and all you will miss from a Mk-iV is the sat nav in dash and restyled front end, but Mk-iv is a lot thirstyer.

Actually - pardon me for saying - the Mk 3 and Mk 4 have very similar consumption figures. The Mk 4 may be some 75 kg heavier, but is higher-geared. I think the confusion arose because of a change in the driving cycles for the official government consumption figures.

Also, a Mk 3 doesn't have traction control - and this can be a pain. The extra gear of the Mk 4 would be nice, too, as the step-off on a Mk 3 is rather leisurely.

Mind you, I hate the Mk 4's wheels!

All may not be lost with the service history.

Providing it is a UK car you should armed with the VIN and proof of ownership be able to get a print off of the service history from any Lexus Dealer ( possibly free if you gently hint you are considering them servicing the car in the future).

Always worth a try.

Can you get a run in a similar car with history?

If so then you have got some sort of measure as to how this one should be.

If its a worse ride, or the engine sounds rough then walk away.

If its the same or better, then go for it.

Have a look on auto trader see how it matches up to similar cars on there on the asking price.

Have a look around the engine bay, a lot of times the mechanic will put a sticker in there stating the milage when the cambelt was changed.

You could always get in touch with the previous owner and ask him about the car..

Make sure there is no shudder when braking from higher speeds (60+), no wandering on poor road surfaces, no clunks from suspension, auto trans changes cleanly, and cam belt has been replaced. Deduct some cash if any of the mentioned is a problem.

Pete

Make sure there is no shudder when braking from higher speeds (60+), no wandering on poor road surfaces, no clunks from suspension, auto trans changes cleanly, and cam belt has been replaced. Deduct some cash if any of the mentioned is a problem.

Pete

If it has all the above problems ask the owner to give you money to take it off his hands :whistling:

That would depend on the price, if its cheap enough & its all in working order ( allow £600 for a cambelt change) top value for a 96 with around 120k on it would be £2000 with full history, without history & no cambelt proof £1200 you should be able to judge from those figures how much to pay.

Ive negotiated the price to £1500 from £2000. Everything works on this car and you can tell from the inside and outside that the car has been well looked after. I am thinking of taking a chance.

Sounds like a bargain to me. The LS series interior/exterior can take a good battering before starting to look worn. My experience is with the drive/feel of the car. I learnt the hard way about not insisting on a 20 mile test drive on all road surfaces, etc. Turns out the alloys were buckled, but took me 6 months of part swapping to pick it up, including front bushes/suspension.

One other item is door shutting - check all around that there are equal gaps between each of the doors and the frame - uneven closing could indicate previous accident damage.

If she drives well, gear changes are smooth and responsive, there's no wobbling during hard acceleraton/braking and it passes an MOT then you should be flying - my MOT is next month and the only possible failure would be emissions. Everything else has been pulled apart since I bought her. Fingers crossed....

Sometimes you just need to follow your insitict.

It's £1500 we are talking about here.........It's one hell of a lot of car for what is almost loose change. (OK maybe not loose change but almost!)

Look at it another way...............If you'd bought a new LS, it would be depreciating this every single month for the first year!!

I had a very similar predicament when I bought my 97 Mk III just over a year ago. It was on a dealer's front for £2100 and very tidy, with 130,000 on the clock. The passenger and rear seats looked completely unused and the salesman told me the owner of the past 7 years was a racehorse owner who used the car to follow his horse box around the country.

Unfortunately, the guy had apparently lost the service history acquired during his ownership, but alleged that he had it serviced annually.

I had a good look around; the engine bay and interior were immaculate and, other than a few minor scratches on the rear offside wing, the body was good. I took it for a decent test ride, accelerated, braked, went up and down a couple of hills and everything seemed to work fine. I was then left with a choice: walk away or take a risk.

The lack of service history enabled me to barter the price down to £1650 and I took the plunge. 14 months later the only problems I've had were a rear suspension spring (£150 to replace) and two worn front tyres; it sailed through the MOT without a problem. It has a number of irritating faults common to the model: leaking boot seals, heated seats not working, back-light on stereo failed, memory settings for seats kaput, but it's still an awful lot of car for the money. I say go for it, most LS owners are responsible people who look after their cars properly.

So did you eventually buy the car ?

I've been driving LS400s for 8 years now and the latest is a 94 M with just 30k miles now.

Never driven a better car and wouldn't expect to !

Aren't they just simply a wonder to drive ( pity about the petrol consumption though ) and to maintain ............ but what maintenence eh ! costs are just so negligible. :D

So did you eventually buy the car ?

I've been driving LS400s for 8 years now and the latest is a 94 M with just 30k miles now.

Never driven a better car and wouldn't expect to !

Aren't they just simply a wonder to drive ( pity about the petrol consumption though ) and to maintain ............ but what maintenence eh ! costs are just so negligible. :D

I have bought the car. It drives perfect and very silent and comfortable. I had it checked and the suspension is in very good order and the gear change is smooth. I am enjoying it and I am liking it. I have a few things to fix-driver's side side light has a crack and the bonnet struts are no longer working properly. Besides that I feel I had a good bargain.

I may export this car as I am planning to relocate. The country I am relocating to still uses Blend Petrol much more than Unleaded Petrol and I wanted to find out if I would need anything done on the car for that transition or I can still drive my Lexus on blend petrol.

Hey guys. I am looking for a reliable service centre to get my Lexus Ls400 a major service and possibly cambelt change if it has to be changed. I live in Essex-England and my local dealer had quoted me £1000 for a full service and cambelt change. I think I can get a better deal than this. Any information please.

Hey guys. I am looking for a reliable service centre to get my Lexus Ls400 a major service and possibly cambelt change if it has to be changed. I live in Essex-England and my local dealer had quoted me £1000 for a full service and cambelt change. I think I can get a better deal than this. Any information please.

How many miles since the last belt change?

The car has done 60000 since new and has not had its cambelt changed yet. I have read on this forum that other people's cars have gone beyond 100k without the cambelt changed. I woudnt want to do that coz I am a but of a perfectionist. If you know anyone who does a good services on Lexus cars in Essex, please advise.

The car has done 60000 since new and has not had its cambelt changed yet. I have read on this forum that other people's cars have gone beyond 100k without the cambelt changed. I woudnt want to do that coz I am a but of a perfectionist. If you know anyone who does a good services on Lexus cars in Essex, please advise.

'Fraid I dunno your area, as regards garages.

But I would leave my cambelt change - were I lucky enough to own your car - until the 100k mark. And I used to be a mechanic.

As you're in South essex (not too far from the dartford crossing) why not try Lexus Tunbridge wells out? Great service there IMO I have found. Not too far to go as I think the nearest one in Essex is either Woodford or Ipswich which is probably just as far if not further to go?

Try Westfield Motors, Rayleigh.

Try Westfield Motors, Rayleigh.

Also, I understand that a cambelt change is also time related too ............ at least once every ten years ! is that so ?

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links