Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

These Forums Are Boring,

PCthug

Damn me buying such a reliable car that everyone likes.

Its great to own, but doesnt make for an interesting forum.

There is no scandle,

No rants about defective this and that,

No troubles with dealers,

No moaning about poor quality pieces,

No break downs,

No blown gaskets,

No failed brakes,

No warranty recalls,

No claims,

No poor servicing,

No engine lights coming on,

No frustrations about rattles that cant be found,

No arguments with fanboys,

Just lots of happy people, who dont bother posting becuase there is nothing to post about.

I visit here a few times a day, and the only thread with any movement is one counting down from 1 million.

It reminds me of that advert where the guy is walking down a corridor at work and hears a phone ringing. He goes into the room where the ringing is coming from and its a throw back from 30-40 years ago, and very old fashioned, and covered in dust. He answers the phone, and states to the caller that they have the wrong number, and when he leaves the room the plaque on the door says 'compliants'. I forget what its advertising.

Think i will get my Saab back, it had loads of trouble with it, and the forums were always busy.

:winky:

It's not always been smiles and happiness on here. These forums have had their problems in the past.

won't go into that tho,

people only seem to start having problems when they fit turbos, other problems are minor things like faulty cd changers

It's not always been smiles and happiness on here. These forums have had their problems in the past.

won't go into that tho,

people only seem to start having problems when they fit turbos, other problems are minor things like faulty cd changers

See i can live with those problems.

My 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD (150bhp) with 74,500 miles on it had the following problems...

Alternator x2

Front coil spring snapped

front suspension bearing

EGR valve x2

Manifold (due to swirl actuator)

Air recirculation valve/button (just clicked when pressed)

Rubber paint coming of buttons on the dash and glove box

I simply had enough, but it made for a busy forum.

Ive just traded in a BMW330d that everyone raved about for a lexus 400h and though I could therefore put some complaints in......again BM of course not Lexus and I really cant understand why BM get such a good press and Lexus such a bad one. i bought a 2004 330d touring auto 3 years ago for £13k not bad for a £34k motor!!! just traded it in for £5.5 after spending £3k to get on the road..(i know might be worth keeping after spending that but i really cant be arsed!!!)

There is no scandle,

No rants about defective this and that,

No troubles with dealers,

No moaning about poor quality pieces, bmw "quality" well over hyped and no better than lexus, most important equipment like brakes etc not very well engineered

No break downs, too many to list

No blown gaskets,nope

No failed brakes,several including many cherry red brake disks with brakes binding intermittently, tramlined line anything and was very uneasy when braking, abs always interfering

No warranty recalls,

No claims,

No poor servicing,

No engine lights coming on, the car would randomly run out of diesel with 1/4 tank left (quite a common problem apparently) do this twice and the engine light stays on. £36k motor and you have to run around with a jerry can full of diesel in the boot!!

No frustrations about rattles that cant be found, plenty

No arguments with fanboys,

turbo goes (quite a common problem apparently) costs £700 +VAT+removal + fitting (Approx £1k)

auto gearbox goes (quite a common problem apparently) as the torque converter cant handle the torque and disintegrates and scatters around the gearbox jamming stuff and requiring a full re condition costs £1500 +VAT+removal + fitting (Approx £2k)

We run the new BMW330d at work, and they use run flat tyres. These last for only a couple (yes, 2 or 3) thousand miles and cost £250 each to replace (about once per month).

They wear like something not right on the inner rears.

Ours have been back to the dealers more times than enough, and tested empty and fully laden, with the same results.

There is something seriously wrong with the tracking on these cars, despite the dealers not finding anything wrong.

Ours do get used rather hard though.

I am quite a fan of the BM, and was actually looking at the X3 and X5 when i bought my Lexus, but the problems we suffer at work put me off.

I agree that there is little actvity during the day and not that much in the way of banter either.

Still, its racked with knowledge and information and guess thats why people join it!

Don't get me wrong, I like it on here, its just not as busy or as the OP says, interesting, as other OC's I've been a member on.

It used to be a lot busier around here, it's gone very quiet in the last year or so. There was a bit of a bustup between a few long term members.

That said, the more technical questions usually get answered quite quickly, or at least responded to, it's the more social forums that have gone a bit quiet. Things are picking up a bit more now, though.

We run the new BMW330d at work, and they use run flat tyres. These last for only a couple (yes, 2 or 3) thousand miles and cost £250 each to replace (about once per month).

Ours have been back to the dealers more times than enough, and tested empty and fully laden, with the same results.

There is something seriously wrong with the tracking on these cars, despite the dealers not finding anything wrong.

Might be worth a trip to WIM or one of their approved centres as that is obviously not right.

Not sure if I've mixed this up with something else, but I think a common fault with setting up BMWs is that the positions are based around the car with driver, so a weight must be placed on the drivers seat when doing the geometry.

Although I'd hope a dealer knows that.......

Might be worth a trip to WIM or one of their approved centres as that is obviously not right.

Not sure if I've mixed this up with something else, but I think a common fault with setting up BMWs is that the positions are based around the car with driver, so a weight must be placed on the drivers seat when doing the geometry.

Although I'd hope a dealer knows that.......

We have a fleet of about 6, and each of them can use any of about 60 drivers. We have other cars too, namely Volvo T5, Skoda Octavia, Focus RS etc. So its difficult to set them up for individual drivers.

The BMW's are supplied directly from BMW, and have been back to them on more than 1 occassion, so I dare say that most of the known problems have been checked.

The scariest part was the rear tyre wear. The cars get fully checked twice a day, and we usually just run our hands around the tyre and have a look to make sure that the tread is well above the wear indicator. This one day i did this, and it looked fine. I then went out in the car. I was doing about 130mph when the tyre pressure symbol came on, so took it to get it topped up. As i did so i could hear the air coming out. When i looked, the inner wall of the tyre had completely gone, and it had jagged pieces of tyre reinforcement wires sticking out all around the circumference of the inner part of the tyre. The run flats did their job, but it was still scary (not to mention dangerous) driving at over 130mph on a shredded tyre.

The scariest part was the rear tyre wear. The cars get fully checked twice a day, and we usually just run our hands around the tyre and have a look to make sure that the tread is well above the wear indicator. This one day i did this, and it looked fine. I then went out in the car. I was doing about 130mph when the tyre pressure symbol came on, so took it to get it topped up. As i did so i could hear the air coming out. When i looked, the inner wall of the tyre had completely gone, and it had jagged pieces of tyre reinforcement wires sticking out all around the circumference of the inner part of the tyre. The run flats did their job, but it was still scary (not to mention dangerous) driving at over 130mph on a shredded tyre.

I would definitely give Tony at Wheels in Motion a ring or send him an email, that is very aggressive tyre wear which is obviously not right indicating there must be a serious problem somewhere.

I'm sure they'll be able to help, as they have with many Merc owners where Mercedes said they couldn't fix it.

I would definitely give Tony at Wheels in Motion a ring or send him an email, that is very aggressive tyre wear which is obviously not right indicating there must be a serious problem somewhere.

I'm sure they'll be able to help, as they have with many Merc owners where Mercedes said they couldn't fix it.

Unfortunately its not as simple as that.

We have to have accounts set up and for it to be a recognised (to us) repairer/service agent.

Thanks for the reply though, i may send him a message to ask his opinion still, but i dare say he will want to see the car.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links