Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I need to replace the remote batts in my GS as now both are nearly dead ,i have to stand almost next to the door to get it to work.Is it true that i will lose the memory if i change the batts myself ,i have also heard there is a time limit of 8 secs :question: .I would take it to dealer but round trip of 50 miles .

Hi Mudzs

I had the Battery replaced in my key a few weeks ago at my local dealer and it took about 20 secs for the parts manager to do it. I said that I would do it myself next time and he just laughed and charged me a tenner for fitting the Battery.

Granted I did not ask what the consequence would be if I actually did do it myself but I got the impression that it would be possible.

Keith

Mudzs,

Keith paid a tenner and my dealer charges six quid plus V.A.T. I'm not against capitalism but they are CR1616 cells which I get from CPC at £ 1.40 each. I am assuming that your key for the Mk 1 is the same as my Mk 2.

Save the round trip. Mail me your address and I'll pop a couple in the weekend post. We GS owners are a rare breed and to avoid extinction must stick together!

I don't believe that the key memory is volatile. One thing to watch - the head of the tiny screw on the casing wears easily so use the right screwdriver.

Your Battery should be changed when you have the car serviced. It's part of the service schedule. Didn't get done on my last service though and the Battery died 2 months later!

Replaced it myself. There are lots of companies on the web that sell CR1616 for around £2 including postage.

Done it and without a single problem i reckon lexus tell you the memory will be lost so they can charge you for it .Thanks for the offer mike 246 and i see what you mean about the screw head seems like it is made from a very soft metal.Also it takes batt no CR2025

I found getting the key apart was the hardest and the screw is difficult so I agree Carefully goes. Memory not a problem (well not the key anyway)

The batteries are nowt speacil and can be bought at watch shops but my local little motorist shop stocks them as well.

What I find frustrating is that the key sometimes doesnt work for no reason (normally raining) anybody else have this problem? and is there any way of making the indicators flash like newer cars so that I can see it happens rather than listen for the click or try the handel?

The key and car should cycle codes and I presume this MIGHT be what the dealers are referring to. But my manual gives details on swapping the Battery and doesn't mention any problems with loss of memory. It could be that the circuitry holds enough charge whilst the Battery is being swapped.

However if there is a memory problem, then this means the second key would be out of sync as soon as you used the first key.

Hence, I don't believe there is a memory problem at all. Swap the Battery and use the second key if there's a problem.

My remote Battery went flat on me

(bit lazy, got away with standing right next to it for a while when it was on the way out, then whoops! woke all the neighbours up at 6.30am)

Chucked brand new one in when I got to work, but then wouldn't work at all. The second key fob when I got home also wouldn't work, so the code cycle thing had obviously kicked in.

I would be wary should you decide to swap it yourself. It's easy enough to do, but I believe from my experience there must be a time limit.

Still not got round to sorting.

I got my GS300 at the Weekend from an independent dealer and that was one thing he stressed. The Battery is dead (i have to actually turn the key in the lock :blink::ohmy::crybaby: .... :D ) And he said if i change the Battery i have 10secs to put the new one in.

I guess we must be in Urban legend country, there must be some truth in it if its what everyone had heard

Ants

Dude,

I got the Battery in maplins. discretely opened a pack of screwdrivers and changed it in the shop before returning the screwdriver and exiting stage left to my GS Mk2 where the key now works from about 40yds.

Even though some IS owners had trouble using it on Saturday.... :whistling:

bat cost about £2 quid and has been fine since.

Loz :zee:

whilst on the topic of dealer shafting....

my radio needed the code when I got the car. it was clear after a number of calls to Lex GB and 3 local dealers that I would need to come in and get it done for a fee.

My Volvo T5 fitted with a premium alpine system had needed the code once and Volvu UK had given me the code over the phone because the do actually understand customer service...

Lexus told me I have to bring it in so I bring it in. they fix it but then they wont tell me the new code. so if the Battery is ever disconected again the dealers have it in mind to charge me again!

I will tell them to go f :tsktsk: k them selves as I have little patience for crooks!

sure a back street place could de-code it and give me the code for £25 or so which is less than I paid at Lexus....

Loz :zee:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links